MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-02-2001, 10:13 PM   #1
quick89gt
Registered Member

Post Starting Problems

Some of you may remember my problem beore...my car would crank but not start. Well, I put a new fuel pump and fuel pump relay in it...then it worked fine. Well, now it just cranks and won't start again. Also, it did fire up and ran for like 30 seconds before it died this morning and wouldn't start again. What the hell is causing this problem? When I turn th ekey, the fuel pump is NOT priming or running. josh

------------------
'89 GT, T-5,
Bored .030 Over, GT-40P heads, MAC 1 5/8" headers, MAC Off-Road H-Pipe, 2 1/2" Flowmasters, Edelbrock 65mm T.B., Trick Flow Intakes, Crane 2031 cam, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Keith Black hyp. flat top Pistons, Screamin' Deamon Coil, Champion Plugs, March Underdrive Pulleys, 255lph Fuel Pump, SVO Motorsport Clutch, Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Formula GP Suspension, MAC Upper & Lower Control Arms, FMS 3.73 Gears.
quick89gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2001, 10:19 PM   #2
exgmguy
Registered Member

If the pump is not working there are a couple of things to check.
The inertia switch. In case you do not know what it is, it is in the hatch on the drivers side. It shuts off the fuel pump in an accident.

Make sure the button is not popped up. you can also bypass the switch by removing it and jumping the leads together.

Your computer may also be bad. It might not be turning on the relay to the pump. I don't know what wires to check at the relay to see if its working though.

And maybe a bad ground at the pump?
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2001, 03:50 AM   #3
Vibrant GT

I was rear ended a couple of month ago. My outside gas cover blew off and i needed a new quarter panel, but my fuel pump never shut off. I wonder if those switches really work.

[This message has been edited by Vibrant GT (edited 01-03-2001).]
Old 01-03-2001, 09:36 AM   #4
88GT5.013.02

I am not for sure, but there might be an EEC relay on the mustangs. I work on my dad's 5 plow trucks and if the EEC relay goes bad then the fuel pump won't work.

Just yesterday I fixed our '90 F-350, had a leaking gas tank and thought it had a bad fuel pump. I tested the old fuel pump after I pulled it out of the tank, and it worked, OH SH$T. Well after getting the new pump in an hooking the electrical up I wanted to test the pump, it wouldn't work.

So I start to diagnose everything and I started with the relays (EEC and fuel pump). Both were fine, but when I toggled the fuel pump relay with the test light it barely lit it up.

Immediately I tested all switches, started with the inertia switch, then the auxilary fuel tank switch. I jumpered the inertia switch and that wasn't the problem. I jumpered the front tank on the auxilary gas tank switch and the fuel pump pumped some gas. The switch went bad and the resistance went very high (almost infinity), therefore not alowing any current to flow through (causing the test light to barely light up).

These are some suggestions to try to remedy your problem. Bypass the inertia switch first by jumping the two wires, then check the EEC relay (if there is one), also check all your grounds. Make sure the relays have dielectric grease on them when you take them off, if they don't put some on, as they may not be making a good connection.

Sorry this was a little long, but I have some experience with EEC stuff and I figured I could help.

------------------
88GT stock shortblock, ported GT-40 iron heads, ported Edlebrock Performer intake, 24# inj, Pro-M 75mm Bullet MAM, 3.73, hurst short throw, F-303, electric fan, alum rad, FMS HD clutch, R134a ac conversion, 70mm TB , and some other stuff I probably forgot, best run so far on ET streets is 13.02@106 with a 1.87 60ft.

[This message has been edited by 88GT5.013.02 (edited 01-03-2001).]

Old 01-03-2001, 04:35 PM   #5
fixer
Registered Member

maybe a tfi module also.

any codes?

shoot some carb cleaner in the throttle body and clean it up a little and make sure to get the area where the IAC motor is.

you might have a sticky IAC motor.

fixer is offline   Reply With Quote