MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-22-2004, 03:24 PM   #1
knarf
Registered Member

Default 5.0 not starting.......

Anyone,
My 5.0 died on the highway. A few days before that my fuel pump making a loud humming noise. I replaced the fuel pump and the fuel filter, IT DID NOT START. So I replaced the ignition module, still did not start.... Anyone have any hints to what it might be????
knarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 04:06 PM   #2
canukracer
Registered Member

check for fuel at scharder valve on fuel line, can u hear the pump running? then check for spark, if u have fuel psi and spark check timing of engine
canukracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 10:20 PM   #3
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

Check the inertia switch in the hatch/trunk area. The little black box with a (usually) white reset button on it. If you push the button and it resets, that was your problem. Can you hear the pump running now? If you can, it is not the inertia switch. Check to see if you have spark and post your results.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:20 AM   #4
knarf
Registered Member

I checked the interia switch in the trunk and it is pressed down, should that be like that?
Old 04-23-2004, 11:59 AM   #5
Falcons Talon
T.P.M. President

Yes. The switch should be down. Upon hard enough impact, the switch will pop up and kill fuel delivery.
Old 04-24-2004, 08:33 PM   #6
HISSIN50
Registered Member

if i were you, i would have pulled codes first. that will point you in the right direction.
does the motor turn over, but not catch, or is it totally dead?
if the former, check for spark. then fuel if you have spark.
if totally dead, check battery, battery cables, and starter solenoid and starter circuit (neutral safety switch, etc). dont forget grounds.

you can get a Probst manual and troubleshoot and check components before you replace them. good luck.
HISSIN50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 01:52 AM   #7
Dog5ohfun
Registered Member

There is a fuel pump relay underneath the driver seat that controls power to the fuel pump. Check this if the inertia switch is fine. Without the relay there is no fuel pump. There is a possibility that your relay was working intermittently and then just stopped. They are only about $15. I replaced mine about 5 years ago. If yours is stock that is what it is. Hope this helps.
Black 1990 LX DSS Racing Super Pro Bullit 331, AFR 185, Anderson B31 Cam, 1.6 DSS rockers, Cobra Intake w/ 2 phenolic spacer, Aluminum DS, 3.73 gears, Tremec 3550, Lakewood SFI Bellhousing, MSD Digital 6+, Spintech Side Exhaust,
Dog5ohfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 11:20 AM   #8
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

I should have said this earlier, but if the spark is dead, it will kill the fuel. You replaced the ignition module. Are you sure that it is making a good ground? Anything that you suspect could be the problem, a local auto parts store can most likely test that part. I know for sure that they can test your ign. module, pick up coil, map sensor, ign. coil, etc.
Old 04-25-2004, 03:01 PM   #9
HISSIN50
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ieatcamaros
I should have said this earlier, but if the spark is dead, it will kill the fuel.
please explain - i have never heard such a thing.....thanks.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:26 PM   #10
Dog5ohfun
Registered Member

HISSIN50,

Too whom is your question focused to. "I have never heard such a thing please explain?" Mine, with the fuel pump relay?

If so, it is the little 1" square relay under the drivers seat
Black 1990 LX DSS Racing Super Pro Bullit 331, AFR 185, Anderson B31 Cam, 1.6 DSS rockers, Cobra Intake w/ 2 phenolic spacer, Aluminum DS, 3.73 gears, Tremec 3550, Lakewood SFI Bellhousing, MSD Digital 6+, Spintech Side Exhaust,
Old 04-26-2004, 12:14 AM   #11
HISSIN50
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dog5ohfun
HISSIN50,

Too whom is your question focused to. "I have never heard such a thing please explain?" Mine, with the fuel pump relay?

If so, it is the little 1" square relay under the drivers seat
when i look at my post, it shows me quoting Ieatcamaros in regard to my sentiments.
he had said that if there was no spark, fuel would be cut. ive been around for a little while, and have never heard that (some cars will kill fuel if oil pressure drops to a minimal threshhold, but that did not appear to be what he was talkin about). i dont recall anything in the schematics indicating that, so i was curious as to what he was talking about exactly. :-)

Doh5ohfun, what you said about the FP relay was understood and sounded good to me. i cant remember what year Knarf's stang is. some of the late 92's and 93's have the fuel pump relay on the pass side strut tower (for future searchers reading these things).
good luck to all.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:03 AM   #12
knarf
Registered Member

ok thank you all for your input............
Now for the next question....

What is the best way to get my 91 faster?

What should I do?
Old 04-27-2004, 05:13 AM   #13
HISSIN50
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by knarf
ok thank you all for your input............
Now for the next question....

What is the best way to get my 91 faster?

What should I do?
right now, dropping it out of an airplane would be it, unless you got it fixed......did you, and what was it?

as for your next question, depends on budget and goals. gears are always good no matter.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:28 PM   #14
Dog5ohfun
Registered Member

HISSIN50,
Thanks for the info on the fuel pump relay. I had no idea that they had moved it to the shock tower. I wish you could understand what the engineers are thinking when they do that stuff. This is why I like this website so much.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:08 PM   #15
HISSIN50
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dog5ohfun
HISSIN50,
Thanks for the info on the fuel pump relay. I had no idea that they had moved it to the shock tower. I wish you could understand what the engineers are thinking when they do that stuff. This is why I like this website so much.
Dog5ohFun, no problem. you are right on about this site. i find myself posting in here more and more, rather than in the usual site (for me). great people in here.

i think the change for the FP relay location is almost dead on with the swap to hypereutectic pistons (late 92 model year). just something i toss out for people who come across a thread like this while searching, in case they cant find the FP relay under the driver seat.

where is Knarf -- i cant figure out if he fixed his car, or is just really ambitious. :-)