MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-02-2001, 10:34 PM   #1
82 GT
Import Slayer

Post stator wire..where does it go?

Ok, I finally broke down and replaced my wiring harness that was fried last year. I got one from the junyard and I have everything hooked up and the alternator still does not charge. The alternator and reg. are both good. I didn't hook up the stator wire to the alt. because I looked at other cars in the junkyard and it looks like it only goes to the carb. or something stupid like that. Right now I only have the field and power wire connected. Do I need that stator wire for it to work correctly?
Just where does that wire go? It didn't look important from what I noticed at the junkyard.
If I don't get this figured out soon then I am going to get a high output alt. from PowerMaster with a one wire hook up and be done with it!

------------------
'82 GT 351W C-4,BBK headers,Carter 625 carb,Comp.Cam,Flowmaster exhaust.
1988 GT...T-5,bone stock
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2001, 11:51 PM   #2
vande97
Registered Member

I think it goes on one of the post's on the back of the alternator, I do believe you need to hood ot up to have it charge correctly. but i could be wrong if there are no extra posts then i am not sure what the deal is
vande97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 03:50 PM   #3
82 GT
Import Slayer

I know it goes to the alternator but where does the other end go? From what I seen, it looks like it goes to the carb but that doesn't make any sense.
Looks like I am going to a Powermaster unit and say the hell with all these wires to the alternator.
It might be just as easy to wire a GM unit on there.

------------------
1988 GT...T-5,bone stock
Old 07-03-2001, 10:06 PM   #4
vande97
Registered Member

oh sorry dude, i thought you ment the other end of the wire. I am not sure right off the top of my head. but take a look in a chilton or something it should say, maybe it goes to the regulator or something. is the stator a ground? if so just ground that thing out.

well good luck man!
vande97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2001, 08:26 AM   #5
Timanator
Registered Member

Stattor wire is the output signal for the Voltage light inside the car
you can findout where it goes by reading the Corral article on 3G alternator installation
Timanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2001, 10:08 AM   #6
82 GT
Import Slayer

So I guess I really don't need it then if it only goes to a dash light indicator.

------------------
1988 GT...T-5,bone stock
Old 07-04-2001, 10:40 AM   #7
Timanator
Registered Member

I would hook it up
it's better to have a warning light than to just start running weird and have to figure out why.
I think it goes to the Black/white wire on the second plug(the plug that does not contain the 2 big power wires to the Solenoid)
Timanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2001, 03:16 PM   #8
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

Here it is: the wire from the stator post goes to the electric choke on the carburetor to control the opening of the choke, not exactly sure how it does this but that's where it goes on an 82. Does your wiring harness have the black isolator with a connector on the alternator side? If so this goes to the post that is 180 degrees from the field post. Hope this helps, I've considered doing the 1 wire hookup and wouldn't blame you if you did.

------------------
GT-40 heads (ported, polished, + milled), B303 cam, 1.7rr's, JE pistons, Offy intake, Carter AFB 625cfm carb, Flowtech 1 5/8" shortys, Flowtech X-pipe, MAC Flowpath exhaust, MAC pulleys, 373's, subframes, Eibachs+Tokicos, B&M ripper, FMS Clutch, Zoom Quadrant+cable, 17" CSA Ultra rims, 235/45ZR17 Yokohama AVS S4's, MSD 6A ignition+coil, FMS 9mm wires, Carbed, Naturally Aspirated, and Nasty!
red82gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2001, 03:18 PM   #9
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

Oh yeah, if you don't have an electric choke then you should ditch that wire alltogether.
red82gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2001, 10:40 PM   #10
82 GT
Import Slayer

I don't have an electric choke so I guess I don't need to worry about it then. I have field and power wire connected and I know I have the correct wires on the correct posts.
I am going to remove the alternator and regulator and have them tested to narrow down the possible cause for no charging. If that's not it then I am going to get a one wire PowerMaster alternator for sure! I am tired of messing around with wires and wiring harnesses.

------------------
1988 GT...T-5,bone stock

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: