MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-30-2004, 03:58 PM   #1
BLACK85GT
Registered Member

Default Steeda TriAx or Pro 5.0 Shifter?

I know there are many theories but what is the best all around shifter for my 85 gt with t-5 trans. Anyone had both steeda and pro 5.0? If so what are the differences.
5.0, Holley heads, 1.7 Scorp Rockers, Stealth intake, Holley 600 carb, Holley Mech. Fuel pump, MSD 6Digital, MSD distributor, Hotchkis upper/lower rear control arms, FMS B Springs, 3:73 (8.8) rear.
Production # 9,377
BLACK85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 06:46 PM   #2
lx mike
Undescribable

Default Re: Steeda TriAx or Pro 5.0 Shifter?

You can't go wrong with either one. I've heard that the tri-ax handle is pretty good and people have used it on the pro 5.0 shifter.
Rice Haters Club Member #101
lx mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 06:53 PM   #3
BLACK85GT
Registered Member

thats what I keep hearing, they are both good. So do I just flip a coin and pick one? Or are there any differences that might sway me one way or the other.
5.0, Holley heads, 1.7 Scorp Rockers, Stealth intake, Holley 600 carb, Holley Mech. Fuel pump, MSD 6Digital, MSD distributor, Hotchkis upper/lower rear control arms, FMS B Springs, 3:73 (8.8) rear.
Production # 9,377
BLACK85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 08:05 PM   #4
GhOsT6_9
Registered Member

I dunno the differences, but I love my pro 5.0. Since I've owned it I've never missed a shift with it.

Heard good things about both, can't go wrong either way. Just choose which ever you prefer. Try to find a couple of friends that have one of each, and try each in the car. That would be the best way to decide.
5.0L, T-5, 1969 351W heads, cut & welded stock plenum, F-303 cam, Mac 1 5/8 full length headers, Cat'd H-pipe, 3.73 gears, Underdrives, SSM lift bars, E-Fan, 3G Alt, Custom Chip, Autometer gauges, Weld Draglite wheels , M/T ET Street Radials

Best 1/4: 13.33@101.53MPH
GhOsT6_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 09:58 PM   #5
bmxmon
Registered Member

if they both rock, go with the cheaper one. Unless they are the same price....
bmxmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 08:41 AM   #6
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxmon
if they both rock, go with the cheaper one. Unless they are the same price....
i agree, both are great so i picked up the cheaper tri-ax for $165 shipped last year, its awesome

only downside that should be noted is the increase in tranny noise from the inside of the car, but its worth the trade off for imporved shifts
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 12:11 PM   #7
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Here's the skinny on the shifters. Although I've never owned or driven a Pro 5.0, they're steel, have "overshift protection" and they're awesome. The Tri-Ax unit it forged aluminum, with overshift protectors. Last year when I slammed my stock shifter into 3rd, well actually inbetween 3rd and 5th, I bent the crap outta the shifter. I bought a Tri-Ax and have been hammering on it since, with ZERO complaints or problems.

The overshift adjustments keeps you from moving the shifter too far in the heat of battle. Very easy to seriously mess up your tranny if you do that. The increased noise comes from the fact that there is an isolator on the stock shifters, just for that reason. Unfotunately this also gives the shifter a little sloppy feel as well. The aftermarket units are solid mounted to the trans, no isolators, more noise, better feel. A sacrafice I'm willing to make.

Either way, you can't go wrong. They're both top notch!

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 01:21 PM   #8
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

I drove an 89 (I think) pro 5.0 shifted GT and it was definately nice. I have never driven one with a Tri-ax. I did have the B&M Pro Ripper on my 01 GT and it was awsome!!! I think they are all pretty much the same, so I would have to agree with the masses and say get the cheaper one.
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 05:59 PM   #9
Rosco
Registered Member

On my old '91 GT, i had a steeda tri-ax shifter and handle. Absolutely loved it. Before that I had a Pro 5.0 shifter and handle. I think the Pro shifter, oir the handle for it is smaller. It was a little to far for me to reach to get it into 5th gear. That's why I changed mine over. Right now in my '89, I'm running a hurst shifter, with a tri-ax handle. The hurst shifter is actually starting to feel loose, alot of slop in it. The tri-ax handle actually puts the shifter closer towards the driver. It's angled more to the drivers side, and down a little further. I am not sure about the Pro 5.0 Shifter handle though.
5.0 Conversion, Full Saleen ground effects and spoiler, '94 saleen decal set, '93 Saleen Seats, Black interior from a '93, Steeda quadrant, smog pump delete, a/c delete, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, '97 rear differential, aluminum driveshaft, 5 lug conversion, '97 rear disc brakes, southside upper and lower control arms, '99 GT Anniversary wheels, flowtech longtubes, flowtech offroad H-pipe, saleen lowering springs, kyb shocks, caster/camber plates
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 09:44 PM   #10
Ackbar00
Rebel Fleet Commander

I like my Hurst real well.

11.25@123.5 on only 8 psi.
10.84@121 on only 1 headgasket

"The Truth is, Your the Weak, and I am the Tyranny of Evil Men!"

Ackbar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 09:35 AM   #11
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

I bought a tri-ax when I was putting the new tranny in, and I love it too, the road/tranny noise was a bit disconcerting at first, but near 10k miles later, no problems. The only thing that might throw you at first is how much closer the pattern feels compared to a stock shifter (I set mine on the lower bolt pattern) And I think the angle on the handle helps shorten the feel too.

J
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 07:22 PM   #12
cenok is family
Registered Member

i have a pro 5.0 with a Kona stick (same exact shape as the tri-ax stick except made of steel rather than aluminum) and it is absolutely PERFECT. the pro 5.0 stick is a little too short for my liking. that is what i suggest doing. pro 5.0 with a tri-ax stick or just a tri-ax straight up. either way you're not missing a shift.
cenok is family is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: