MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-26-2002, 07:43 AM   #1
rppngears
Registered Member

Default is it a bad idea?

I bought a set of aftermarket powder coated tailpipes last friday and tried to put them on this weekend. Unfortunately, as usual this did not go very smoothly. They are not bent the same as the stock pipes and despite the reassurence from the shop I purchased them from that they will fit, I could not get them over the axle.

I am thinking about trying to remove a part in order to put them on, but I don't know if I should. I don't know what this part is called. I looked all through my Haynes manual, but didn't find anything about removing it and it only refers to them as arms.

They are the two arms in a v shape, which connect to the differential and to the frame of the car. I believe they support the axle. I figured if I support the axle on jack stands, then I should be able to remove these arms one at a time in order to put on the tailpipes. Will there be complications with this? Also when reinstalling them, how critical is the torque I put on the bolts? I don't have a torque wrench so can I just tighten them as tight as I can get them with a hand tool?

Thanks for your help,
Ryan
Old 08-26-2002, 08:06 AM   #2
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

You shouldn't have to remove anything from the axle. There are four "arms" that connect to the axle. Two upper control arms and two lower control arms.

I've taken my exhaust on and off so many times, I can do it in my sleep. This is how I do it, so hopefully it will give you an idea.

Raise the rear end of the car as high as you can get it. The higher the better. Support the rear chassis with jack stands. Drop the rear axle as far as it goes. It should drop about a foot or so. This will give you enough room to move the pipes around. This is were you'll quickly notice how important it is to get the rear end as high as possiable. you'll have to twist, turn and move the pipes around to get them over the axles. Be carefull of your brake lines! The mufflers and the tips should be in two pieces. Either the bend over the axle is connected to the muffler or to the tip. Hang that one first since it's the hardest and you need the most room. When you bolt/clamp down the pipes, make sure you get a good snug fit or you'll get an exhaust leak. You don't want your car to sound like a ricer
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 09:54 AM   #3
rppngears
Registered Member

Default Dropping Axle

Could you explain what you mean by dropping the rear axle. I originally raised the rear chasis on jack stands as high up as my jack could get it. Is there a way then to drop the axle lower than it already is???

Thanks for any help,
Ryan
Old 08-26-2002, 09:57 AM   #4
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

Sorry, I raise my rear end up by putting my 3 1/2 ton jack under my diff. This will raise the entire rear end with the suspension as it is when it's sitting on the ground. Then I have to put the chasis on jack stands then lower the massive jack, then it will "drop" about a foot.

If you jack the car by the chasis, then when you lift the car, the suspension will uncompress. You don't have to worry about "dropping" axle.

If I need to go into further detail, just let me know.
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote