MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-26-2002, 07:08 AM   #1
7000rpmisheaven
Registered Member

Default Fan Clutch Direction

Are fan clutches directional. I thought I had heard that you need a reverse rotation fan clutch just like you need a reverse rotation water pump. My point is that I observed something about my car that struck me as odd. I was checking the fan clutch by warming the car up and then turned it off and watching how much the fan spun. It came to a stop nearly right away. Then I went spin the fan with my hand to see how stiff it was. The thing was it was stiffer in one direction than it was in the other.

I figured that after the car is off the fan should be stiffer to move backward than foward. How ever it was stiffer to push it in the direction that it normally spins. I thought this seemed weird. Can anyone shed some light on this for me.
milodon water pump, FMS 9mm wires, aluminum driveshaft, king cobra clutch
7000rpmisheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 07:59 AM   #2
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

Ok, it's been a while since I had a fan clutch so if I'm wrong don't hate me. I quickly moved to an elect. fan.

The fan should have the same resistance going both ways. If it doesn't, then it's possiable that the fan clutch is going bad.

I have a fan clutch that I bought (not temp) that I have about 5-6K miles on it, and has been sitting in my garage for a while now. It's stiff both ways when I turn it. I want to say it only cost me about 40 bucks at Autozone when I got it, but I'm not sure.

Sorry if I'm not much help, but this might give you a start....
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 08:09 AM   #3
7000rpmisheaven
Registered Member

I appreciate your reply. I wouldn't mind buying a new one for $40 if I had any doubts in it. But this one is two months old.
milodon water pump, FMS 9mm wires, aluminum driveshaft, king cobra clutch
7000rpmisheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 08:13 AM   #4
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

When I went to buy mine, they asked me if I wanted the heat activated one or not. The difference it it only spins when it gets to a certin temp. I got the one that stayed on all the time reguardless of temp.

You might want to take off the clutch and blow off all the clutch dust inside there. That might make a difference.
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote