MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-02-2004, 07:27 PM   #1
Terrifson77
Registered Member

Question Steering Wheel???

Hello All,

Does anyone know how much trouble it will be to retro-fit a '91-'93 Fox Mustang steering wheel into an '88? If so, how much modification will it take, or should I just give up, 'cuz I have no intention of changing the whole column just for a wheel. Thanks for any help.

Jeff
Terrifson77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 09:40 AM   #2
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

I'm not sure how hard the retrofit would be, but if you are planning on getting into a wheel with an airbag, make sure that you have the battery unplugged for a good while before hand. (airbags blowing in your face can suck) Anyone know how long it takes the capacitors to drain? couple of hours?

...Bueller?....

J
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 01:29 PM   #3
Terrifson77
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice... Actually I'm in luck, because the wheel I got from a junkyard car already had the airbag blown. For $10, I couldn't turn it down, so I got it and repaired the rubber pad and re-dyed it black. Since the '88 doesn't have an SRS system, I'm not even gonna sweat the bag. You're right though, I bet having an airbag blow in your face would suck. Hehehe...

Jeff
Terrifson77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 01:38 PM   #4
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

i think the 89 and older stangs have a different dash cluster/bezel since 90 was the end of tilt wheel and the beginning of air bags.

as for the capacitors, disconnect the battery and turn the headlights on, should drain in 15-20 min, 30 min tops. this fully resets the computer, a good idea after new o2 sensors, etc.
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 01:48 PM   #5
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GhettoPop
i think the 89 and older stangs have a different dash cluster/bezel since 90 was the end of tilt wheel and the beginning of air bags.
That is right. Also a 90+ wheel might look a little out of place on a pre 90 car.
Why do you even want that ugly wheel on your car anyway?

NewEngland Auto www.baystategearheads.com
-91 Mustang Coupe, ex 4cyl (sold)
-99 F150, 3" lift, 35" Procomps, Magnaflow exhaust
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 02:27 PM   #6
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

I though people usually wanted to get away from those wheels. They are the same one thats in my dads taurus.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:49 PM   #7
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

Yeah, I had rather have a pre 90 steering wheel over the new ones too.

When they put the air bags in, they changed the cluster too. If you notice, the lights between the tach and speedo on the 90+ cars that are not in the 89 older. Along with the two ribs between the tach and speedo. You can put one in, but you can tell it is out of place.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:29 AM   #8
White GT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Terrifson77
Thanks for the advice... Actually I'm in luck, because the wheel I got from a junkyard car already had the airbag blown. For $10, I couldn't turn it down,
I wanted to do the same on my 88GT and i bought the leather steering wheel and the airbag from ebay. one year after i got another kit from a taurus. I given the steering wheel to a friend for his mustang and kept the airbag in case of. But anyway i'll do the swap without connecting the airbag. Then, no risk of deploy.

My friend did the same. and no problem.

His car is a 87 GT with 92 interior.

If you want it, it's your. It's a black airbag in perfect shape.

Just pay the shipping with USPS and that's it.

From canada to arizona.

PM if you want it.

I put the new steering wheel on the 88 column. the problem is that the column is to long then it's not really funny to drive.

If you change the column as i plan to do. Then you'll have to change the gauge, then the dash panel and, to get the better color fit, the console. And of course the easiest thing. Work a little on the the wiring.

A easy thing if you can get a complete donor car at the salvage yard.

This is what you'll have to get for your project.

Complete Dash board

Steering Column

I plan to find the steering column on ebay and i'll find everything else at the salvage yard this summer.

Good luck.

My GT

My Web Page

On Car domain
White GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 02:46 PM   #9
Terrifson77
Registered Member

Default Thanks

Thanks to everybody for respoding with advice. Call it a matter of opinion, but I'm partial to the '90-93 wheel over the pre-90 one <shrug>. I lucked out again, for I met a person in my town that's a junkie for the old fox chassis Mercury Capri's and the Stangs too. He sold me a '90-93 column that should solve my problem. If that doesn't work, then I suppose I'll have to bite the bullet and use the older wheel. It's not that bad, anyway.

The restoration of the '88 is going well. I'm dying the old red upholstry black, and got a door window for $70, and a new front clip (fwd of the shock towers) for $100. With that welded in I'll be able to line up my bumper, fenders and hood. Thanks again, everybody.