MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-31-2003, 04:42 PM   #1
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

Default Water pump problem, please HELP!

I purchased a Stewart water pump (Item: 16173) for my stock 90 Mustang GT. I gave it to my mechanic to install and after installing the pump, he noticed that the stock pully and fan clutch are not compatable w/ this pump. Before ordering this pump, I asked Stewart if it will install w/ ALL stock components, and I was told yes. Its Friday, now I have no car unless I waste my money on a new pully and fan clutch, which I was told I would not need to complete installation! Can anyone help me?
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 02:47 AM   #2
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

anyone?
Old 02-02-2003, 03:15 AM   #3
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Im missing something.

How is the pulley and clutch not compatable?

Need more info....
Old 02-02-2003, 03:49 AM   #4
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

The Stewart water pump has double holes drilled in the flange, neither of which fit (line up with) the stock pully and fan clutch in my 90GT. My mechanic told me, in order to use this stewart pump, I need a pully and fan clutch with holes about 1/8" wider. In other words, I need a pully and fan cluth where the holes are 1/8" further away from the center. (I attached an image I made to illustrate this)

Steward told me that this water pump (Item: 16173) would bit ALL stock components. Has anyone else had my problem? Is stewart's wrong??????

What can I do? My mechanic already installed the pump, so I am kinda screwed. Ideas? HELP ME!!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp pully.bmp (384.1 KB, 32 views)
Old 02-02-2003, 07:06 AM   #5
Mustang_289
Registered Member

We've got a Stewart water-pump, didn't have any problems with install. We did go to an electric fan but the stock waterpump pulley still bolted right up. I'm wondering if Stewart shipped you the wrong waterpump? I would verify you ordered the right part and Stewart shipped you the right part number. Have you called Stewart and talk to them?
Mustang_289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 08:21 AM   #6
Old Guy with 87 GT
Registered Member

i agree with above ,call stewart and find out if they sent you the right pump

i put a stewart pump on mine and everything bolted up fine

there isn't two different bolt patterns on it is there ,stupid question ,but had to ask

another thing ,the pulley and clutch are the origanal ones ?

if there not you might be able to hit a junk yard for a quick fix ....be cheaper then buying it new and will get you going
87 Mustang GT T-top >hanlon t-5, pro 5.0, centerforce clutch ,adj. cable/quatrant ,3.27s ,full 2 1/2 ex(off road H) adj. reg. ,e-cam ,70mm TB, cobra intake ,1.7rr ,ported/milled e7ets w/crane springs ,306 balaced/decked short block w/speed pro forged flat top pistons ...257rwhp/302rwt
best et 13.7@102 (4/11 )

'80 Capri (future project,currently collecting parts for 351 moter)
Old Guy with 87 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 12:19 PM   #7
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

The water pump has 2 different bolt patterns, BOTH of which do not line up with my pully and fan clutch. Both the pully and clutch are stock, ford pieces. I'm in a jam now since my mechanic already installed the pump. I really really doubt he would unbolt it and put in a new pump since it would take a long time and just like all mechanics around here in nyc, time is money. I really don't know what I can do about it, it's sunday right now and when I talk to the mechanic on monday morning he's going to ask me what I want to do. His shop is too small to leave cars around, and I can't tow the car to my house, so I am basically f*cked.

I did not contact Stewart yet since I found out this problem after 5pm on Friday and Stewart was closed. I will call them on Monday, but since my mechanic wants to talk to me at 7am, calling Stewart will be too little too late. I will call anyways and probally end up bitching them out.
Old 02-02-2003, 04:26 PM   #8
Mustang_289
Registered Member

I understand that you're in a pickle. The best you can do is call Stewart first thing Monday morning and talk to them. If you are 100% sure that your pulley and clutch assembly is the right one for the 5.0 - than you've got the wrong waterpump. Either you ordered the wrong part or they shipped you the wrong pump. If they shipped you the wrong part - they should eat the extra cost for your mechanic to take this one off and install the new one.

You have to figure something out, even if you decided to go with say a BlackMagic electric fan - you still need the waterpump pulley on.
Mustang_289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 04:39 PM   #9
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Does sound like a wrong pump. Thats if the pulley etc. are original to the the car.

We all have got wrong parts in the right box.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:14 PM   #10
Chris_H
Registered Member

I am with Mustang_289 here, I also have a Stewart water pump, and mine bolted right up, with both the underdrive pulley and the stock pulley. I have a brand new replacement one sitting out in my shed right now because my first one decided to come apart on the road, and this one shows 8 bolt holes for the pulley, for 2 different bolt patterns. Just sounds like either the mechanic didn't really try to line the pulley up with the right bolt holes, or it really is the wrong pump. Call Stewart tomorrow. I had my first one for over a year when the impellar came off and chewed into the water pump housing, and then sent me a new one for free. Pretty reasonable people down there. Just get the casting number from your mechanic so you can give it to Stewart to see if its the right one or not.

Chris
Chris_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 07:59 PM   #11
HotRoddin
cranky old man

If i were you, I'd go down and get a center to center bolt hole measurement from yours before you call, because one, they may ask for it and two, its possible you could have the correct pump that someone pressed the wrong hub onto during the manf. process. I know thats probably a remote possibility but its best to give him your bolt hole measurements up front, that would eleminate the incredible confusion that situation could create.
The only reason i bring that up is because, to the best of my knowledge, (which i'll admit is limited on this subject), they have never changed the bolt hole pattern on a small block ford ???
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 03:41 PM   #12
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

I have a forward rotation 82 T-bird water pump on my stang and I had the same problem. I just modified my pulley a little bit

Sounds like you got the wrong pump to me.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 04:10 PM   #13
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

I called the Stewart tech line and this is what I was told,

"This is very unusual but it does happen from time to time. Stewart uses a dual pattern hub to try and accomadate all pulley configurations, but it seems that there are occasions like this. (He blamed FORD for using many different circle to circle bolt hole measurements) The quickest and easiest fix would be to just simply drill out the holes in the pulley with a bit that is just slightly larger. If you are not comfortable doing this, then Stewart will issue a full refund upon request. Sorry for the inconvenience."

So I drilled larger holes in my stock pully and HAD to buy a new fan clutch, my mechanic charged me $138 for it. I would have returned the pump for a refund but the labor to uninstall the pump and install a new one was way too expensive and I would end up wasting even more money. This problem would have been avoided if Stewart told me that this problem happens from time to time, instead of just telling me that "everything bolts up to stock"before I placed my order. When I told Stewart that they should mention on their webpage and catalog that this part MAY not fit your application, they said they were "debating it". That's wrong and they SHOULD add that to their catalog and website. This problem could have also been avoided if my mechanic lined up the stock pully and new water pump to ensure the same bolt patterns BEFORE installing it, I guess he forgot. The moral of the story is:

BEWARE OF STEWART'S WATER PUMP Item: 16173 for 86-93, it will NOT fit all applications!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-04-2003, 12:00 AM   #14
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Quote:
Originally posted by GhettoPop

BEWARE OF STEWART'S WATER PUMP Item: 16173 for 86-93, it will NOT fit all applications!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There should be no debating on that issue! They need to make a correction to their instructions at least. Perhaps a Bold face warning that says "Warning, always check hub to pully fit before installing pump."
I have to admit it really puzzles me, because i've put on quite a few water pumps in my life and i've never had anyone ask me what size bolt pattern i had, nor have i ever had one that didn't fit ???
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote