MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-21-2001, 10:53 PM   #1
green92gt
Registered Member

Thumbs down Sticking Starter

This has happened three times the last two days--I start the car car just as normal, however the starter continues to run. I hear it trying to turn the motor over even after the motor is running. When I turn the motor off the (key off) the starter is still turing the motor over. Today I had to disconnect the battery to get it to stop. Is the starter bad or is the solenoid bad that is mounted on the drivers side inner-fenderwell? Both are original ford parts with 62,000 miles on them.
green92gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2001, 11:55 AM   #2
NOS_Notch
Registered Member

It is the selonoid on the fenderwell.
I had this too.
Then it did it again a week later...so get 2 to be safe..they are small and cheap..might as well have an extra.

------------------
4.10's,long tubes & 75 shot...Goes 12.50's
Check it out at http://www.burnouts.webprovider.com

11's coming soon!!!!
Heads,intake and cam are all here
NOS_Notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2001, 02:59 PM   #3
green92gt
Registered Member

Angry

I just replaced the solenoid on the fender well. When I started the car up the started still continued to turn over. It acted just like it did with the old solenoid as it did with the new. I once again had to disconnect the battery!! I have no idea what is wrong now. Could the started be frozen in the engage mode, but why would it continue to turn over? I have changed nothing on the car since this problem has arised. Please help this is making me mad!!
Old 04-22-2001, 03:30 PM   #4
gray87GT
Registered Member

I put a new solenoid, battery to solenoid wire, and a new starter in and it still happens once in awhile. It might be the ignition switch.
gray87GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2001, 01:01 PM   #5
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

I went through a few of them as well.. when it does it, hit the solenoid with something to unstick it. But I wound up replacing the starter with a high torque mini starter, and that solved all of the problems!
Good luck!!

------------------
Joe!
1988 GT, 167,000 miles!!! 13.71@105mph Check out my listing! Click here! Or my website:
www.joe4speed.com
1999 Ninja ZX-6R 10.32@135mph!
"What was the best thing before sliced bread?"

joe4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2001, 01:15 PM   #6
green92gt
Registered Member

I have been told that the small wire leads to the ingition switch. I was told to disconnect this wire and have someone else attempt to start the car and check the current. I was told that there should be current when the key is turned but none when the switch is released. If there is current when the switch is released then the ingnition switch is bad. If this checks out then I was told to replace the solenoid once again. Does this make sense?? I do not want to drive the car very much because I do not want to damage the fly-wheel.
Old 04-23-2001, 10:26 PM   #7
green92gt
Registered Member

Question

I have completed the test to determine if the ing. switch is bad and it checked out all right. Now my question is which started to buy, hi-torque-svo or a mini starter. What do you guys run and is the starter you run a direct bolt in or are there wiring modifications that need to be done??