MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-21-2002, 09:08 PM   #1
1hot5.0
Registered Member

Default Still Car shopping

Hi. About 2 months ago, I posted a message about purchasing a 5.0. That was when I really wasnt that serious about buying yet. However, I am getting pretty serious now, and am going to take the plunge the first week in July and get a 5.0. I was wondering if you all think I can find a decent car in the price range up to about $3500. If so, will I be able to find one with a 5 spd? In decent shape? Running decent? Should I be afraid of mods such as exhaust not being installed right, etc? What are some signs i should look for? Sorry about all of the questions, I just would like some advice from some folks who own one of these bad boys. I would really appreciate all of your input. Thanks alot for your time.

**Also, do you think the insurance will kill me? Im only 16.**

Thanks,
Jason
1hot5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 09:19 PM   #2
chatcher
Registered Member

ins will be tuff if you like the 87-93 cars you should look toward buying an older lx it will be in you price range and it is the cheapest of the 5.0s to insure also you will prob be able to purchase a newer lx for the same price as an older gt if i was you id just take my time and look for a car that is owned by an older person who has taken car of it grandmas cars are always the nicest
Old 05-21-2002, 10:16 PM   #3
1hot5.0
Registered Member

Thanks, thats not a bad idea. I was talking to a guy the other day who got a '90 lx 5.0 convert with auto from an old lady, and he paid 1500. Only thing is the paint was a little faded.... Other than that it was in great shape.... I got about a month to look... Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jason
Old 05-22-2002, 06:56 PM   #4
chatcher
Registered Member

id stay away from the verts to for ins purposes
Old 05-22-2002, 07:08 PM   #5
90'5.0 Conv
Long time member in and out

If I were you, I'd buy a lx model 4 banger for insurance purposes. You should be able to get one real cheap thats in decent shape. Then go to the junkyard and find a V8 stang and swap it over. You should be able to do that and easily stay under 3500 if you can do the work yourself or know someone that maybe could help you, it would help you a bunch.

Good Luck, James
2 Ch Flowmasters

1/8th ET 9.04
90'5.0 Conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 01:01 AM   #6
crazy5.0
Registered Member

The key is just be patient. I bought my 89gt 3 years ago for 3500 ended up spending about that much in parts that were wornout. There are stangs out there that have newer parts on them for dirt cheap. I agree that a lx is more around your range in terms of $.
driveshaft,Asp
underdrives,Flowmast
er 3 chamber,March
ram air,130 amp
alternator,Koni yellow
struts,Kyb
shocks,Pirelli p-6000's,MM's lower control arms and full length subs
crazy5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 01:01 AM   #7
1hot5.0
Registered Member

Cool, thanks again guys.... Am i just being too cheap? I went and testdrove a 71 coupe with a 302 w/ 4 barrel 650 cfm carb and wouldve bought it but the radio didnt work ,and upon closer isnpection the rust was too bad for my liking... i figured im in az so i can find a rust free car.

Jason
Old 05-26-2002, 02:06 PM   #8
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I don't think you'll have any problems. Might have to settle on a higher mileage car 120k+. I wouldn't intentionally do a 5.0 swap into a 2.3L. To get it right is a royal PITA.

Engine
Harness
Computer
Instrament Cluster
Rear End
Transmission
Suspension
Wheels/Tires
Brakes
Radiator
Accessories
Exhaust

Get the idea? I'm not saying that it cannot be done, but it's hardly worth it IMHO. Not to metion if you ever plan on letting it go, you're gonna be up against real 5.0's on the market. If I had to choose between a real 5.0, and a 4 banger that was built into a 5.0, I'd take the real deal over the other 100% of the time.

I don't think you'll have problems finding anything other than a GT vert in your price range. You do have to look, and you have to be very quick. Put in the effort, and get rewarded.

Good luck!
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 08:34 PM   #9
inferno9898
Registered Member

I'm also gonna be buying a 5.0 next month, and my situation is almost identical to 1hot5.0's. I don't know much about Mustangs, I've always been partial to F-body's, but it seems like the 5.0's just beat the crap out of camaros from similar years in everything, including price. So I'm kinda dying for information. Is there any kind of all-knowing FAQ for mustangs like there are for most types of cars? Also, whats the diff between a LX 5.0 and the GT?
inferno9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 01:14 PM   #10
1hot5.0
Registered Member

The differences in the GT and The LX are all in the body styling. The GT has the ground effects, which add 100 pounds, with the fog lights as an option. In addition, the GT has the option of having the lower portion of the car painted grey. The LX on the other hand, does not have the ground effects like the GT, saving 100 pounds. In addition, the lx does not have fog lights on it. Also, the LX has what looks to be "Rubber" striping around the center of the car. If you are interested in learning about more of the differences from the GT to the LX, you can visit the Mustang GT registry at: http://www.mustanggt.org/main.htm

Under the " need to find something fast? " Select the pull down menu and pick " Differences between GT and LX Summary". Hope this helps you out, sorry if I talked your ear off. Also, if I am wrong, anyone, please correct me.

-Jason
Old 05-27-2002, 05:11 PM   #11
Barrfight
Registered Member

I'm on the other side of the coin. I leave for basic training in Ft. Benning, GA on sept. 11th, 2002. I can't decide if i want to sell my stang and try to find a new one after i get done with basic and AIT or if i want to put it in storage. Either way, there will always be a fox-body stang in good shape near you, pretty much anywhere in the continental U.S. I mean, there's always an unmolested car somewhere, you just have to find it. Or, if you want, there's a well-kept, modified car hiding nearby. Just keep looking.

HOOAH!

Red 1991 LX 5.0 Hatchback
BBK Headers
2 Chamber Flowmasters
2 1/2 in. exhaust
Underdrives
1.7 roller rockers
ported stock intake and heads
3.73 gears
Barrfight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 03:39 PM   #12
gtsr515
Registered Member

5.0 Mustangs in your price range are THICK on www.autotrader.com

FORGET! the 4-8 conversion idea, this day it is no longer cost effective.
Old 05-28-2002, 06:06 PM   #13
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Warning, old wives tale. Warning, old wives tale.

The GT does NOT weigh 100lbs more than an LX. It weighs about 20lbs more than a similarily equipped LX. The ground effects add almost no additional weight to a GT.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 01:10 AM   #14
1hot5.0
Registered Member

Ok guys heres the scoop. Think I might have found a car.... Its an 86 GT. I called the guy and talked to him. He says he had a new motor installed in it out of a 95 gt in 1995 and it only has 7,000 miles on it. He has a recently installed dual friction centerforce clutch, recently rebuilt t-5 tranny, and saleen racecraft suspension. Also has a a fowmaster catback with 40 serires mufflers isntalled. The only thing he says it needs is a paint job. He's selling it for $2,500 firm. Im going to look at it tomorrow after work. Just was wondering if I could get your guys opinion on this. Thanks...

Jason
Old 06-09-2002, 02:21 AM   #15
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

The one you just listed sounds like it might need some work with that much extra stuff in it.

I bought my 89 LX kinda modded which so far ive heard is a no no but its been fine so far. i bought it with flows, k+n, air slincer gone, HD clutch, shifter, and the pony wheels arent stock but i got the ten holes too. I had to replace basically the whole cooling system besides the water pump and heater core (hoses, radiator t-stat and housing), and i bought new cap and rotor and wires because they still had the originals which didnt like to work after it had sat in the rain. And just recently i replaced the whole clutch cable,quadrant,firewall adjuster.

All in all i think my car was a good investment even though it basically went agaisnt the unwritten rule of not buying a modded car. Mine was 4750 which seems a little high but still is cheap for such a fun car.

Goodluck on your search!
Nick
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote