MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-31-2002, 03:45 PM   #1
Jwade
Registered Member

Question Stock Crank or Eagle Crank??

Lo Fellas!

A friend of mine is building a Factory Five Cobra, and I'm helping him with the power plant. He has decided to buy a complete short block, and assemble from that point...going the 351 flavor with an S-Trim...already has the S-Trim from a group purchase. I bought a 427 stroker from Keith Craft a couple years ago, and was very happy with what I got for the money, and I've suggested that he consider buying his from Craft. He has gotten a quote from Craft; however, he is also talking to a guy named Mike out at Panhandle Performance.

Craft has quoted $3295 with an Eagle Crank, Eagle rods, JE Pistons, etc, etc.

Panhandle wants $3595 for a similar setup, except with a stock mid 70's crank.

This guy Mike at Panhandle is claiming that the Eagle 4340 is a "China made piece of junk"! He also claimed that AFR heads are junk!

I think that ole Mike is hitting the crack pipe pretty hard, but wanted to see what you guys think?????

Thanks!
Jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 07:19 PM   #2
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

AFR heads are junk..sorry bro..tell thast guy that #'s dont lie..they are the best N/A head..they made power on pure velocity..sure others heads flow more..good for a blower/turbo..depends what you want..im getting AFR185s now with the slighty enlarged exhuast port to help the juice get out

as for the motor..what block is he using..i mean the last 2 motors me and my buddy blew were due to pure milage and abuse but both snapped the cranks between clyinder rods 6 and 3

You might want to hold on..i saw this on a cartoon once
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 09:18 PM   #3
Jwade
Registered Member

Yeah, that's what I'm saying....that idiot is trying to push him on the Twisted Wedge crap! I've had those heads, and I know that they can be made to flow well, but they still kill valve guides, and in my opinion, they are no comparison to the AFR's....performance or quality.

I think he is talking about using a mid 70's truck block.
Old 02-01-2002, 04:12 AM   #4
WADS56
gear banger

Panhandle performance is a good shop and has made a good name for them. I don't know why they said AFR heads are junk because of all the luck people have had with them. Ask them why, I was on the phone with them for over 20 minuts talking about a problem. He may be trying to sell you trickflows because he can get them to make more power for less cash then the AFR's, I don't know. Trickflow heads are great and the valve guide thing has been fixed a long time ago. I bought a set of canfields from them and the port work they did was top notch.
I have also herd bad things about eagle cranks. It is said that the 351, and 351 stroker cranks have to be reground because of poor quality. I have a eagle crank in my 347 and did not run into any problems though.
I think Keith craft and panhandle performance are both great shops and have herd great things about both.
Ricer hater's club member #49
WADS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 11:34 AM   #5
Jwade
Registered Member

He claims that they have had to "modify" several AFR castings that have come through their shop...but he provided no elaboration on that...so not sure what he is having to "modify". I hadn't heard that about the Eagle cranks, but I've been out of the 5.0 thing for a couple years now...I'm more into the older stuff now, I've sold off my Mustangs, and most of my parts, and now have a 30 year old musclecar....so I guess I'm not really a good source for this stuff anymore.

I've heard that Panhandle is a good shop; however, I think my buddy has decided to use Keith Craft, because they were just more helpful over the phone, and they seem to cater more to what their customers want, rather than trying to push something else on them.

The deal breaker was that my friend had asked this fellow at Panhandle to fax him a quote, and he was told that they really didn't have time, and that if he wanted a written quote, he'd have to give them a deposit! ????? A deposit before you've gotten a written quote?? ...what sense does that make?? If he keeps up practices like that, he'll have plenty of time on his hands before long.

On the other hand, Keith Craft asked for a fax number, so that they could send out a quote....without being asked. Much better business practices, and doesn't come across as being pushy for only the parts that they carry.

Needless to say, he's decided to go with Craft on this one....I think it's a good choice, the other guy seems pretty flakey....and lord knows we already have enough flakes in this business!