MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-19-2001, 12:33 AM   #1
todd95GT
Registered Member

Thumbs up Stopwatch ET-what do you think?

I used the ever-so-accurate and highly effective stopwatch method of timing my ET tonight. I used the just as accurate trip odometer to gauge a quarter mile and hit the start button on the watchas I launched. I spun a little bit through the first few thousand rpms in first gear, hit second a little below 5 grand, chirped them, hit third at around 5 again, and let off somewhere in fourth when the odometer rolled between .2 and .3. Scientific eh? I clocked a 14.9 @ 96 mph. The mph is a bit high for a high 14 second quarter. Or-the ET is slow for a 96 mph trap speed. You can see the limited mods I have below in my signature. What do you guys think?

------------------
Todd
1995 GT/T-5
Pulleys; 65 mm TB; Flowmaster cat-back; Mac off road H-pipe; FMS aluminum driveshaft; short-throw shifter; HD clutch; Cobra R's; Cobra front and wing
todd95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 12:49 AM   #2
Vector
Registered Member

Me thinks get a G-tech! They are cool.
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 05:52 AM   #3
PKRWUD

I thought you were going to Moroso!

Todd, I have to tell you that I am really enjoying reading your posts. You remind me of a very good friend of mine from high school, and the way he acted after getting a 68 Mustang. He even went as far as to use a floor jack strategically placed under his car so that he was able weigh it with a common bathroom scale. He was really good at math and formulas, and knew how to determine weights based on a leverage point, similar to the way people determine tounge loads with trailers. He also did the stopwatch thing, and figured out a way to have it start when the throttle went to WOT (with a regular old fashioned stopwatch!). What is most amusing of all is that you're a cop, and I guess I just always figured that law enforcement had easy access to ways of determining these things. I guess you guys really are every day people! Go figure.

Your numbers are probably both off just a bit. I suspect that your time is closer to 14.7, and your speed is closer to 92, but who knows. Go to Moroso already!

Take care
~Chris

BTW, I told my Mother what you said about pulling her over, and she quickly reminded me that her car is "champagne", not dark green. Her previous Camry was dark green. She also wanted to know which agency you worked for.

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 07:57 AM   #4
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

ET sounds about right, but mph sounds a tad high. Is there a track nearby? As I'm sure you know, this is the best place to get your results. Personnaly, I wouldn't get the G-tech - not because it isn't accurate at what it does, but because it's measuring parameters are setup slightly different than what you would see at your local track. This is one of the primary reasons that the G-tech has notoriously provided higher mph readings than the track (which averages your speed at the very end of the track).

The G-tech is a great tuning tool, but in order to compare apples to apples, track time slips the way to go.

Take care,
E

------------------
1991 5.0 LX Coupe - 38,000 miles

13.17 @ 106.14 mph w/ 2.138 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote