MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-25-2001, 09:07 AM   #1
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

Question Strut selection and install questions

I am going to be pricing out struts for my 90 Notchback with 100K miles. This is for mostly daily driving, but I am trying to upgrade where I can when replacing stuff,( ie Ford motorsports clutch instead of Cheapo) when it is a reasonable cost upgrade. I also figure I should replace the quadrashocks at the same time, maybe can get a deal for the set etc...
What are some good ones to go for?? how are they working out for you guys

Also what is the best way to install them?? The Chiltons describes a special tool to compress the spring, but couldnt you just seperate the bottom ball joint and lower it down with a floor jack like other normal coil spring cars?????

------------------
Frank W
90 5.0 LX coupe Daily driver. Silencer removed, K&N filter. Flexalite fan, 3 core radiator. FMS flywheel and Clutch Finally rebuilt T-5.

74 Chevy Laguna Type S-3 305 apart in garage, getting a 454 to put next to it
www.chevellepages.com/folingo

Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 10:41 AM   #2
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

Red face

My struts are banging around pretty good, I would like to get a set in time to install them next Saturday, any input???

------------------
Frank W
90 5.0 LX coupe Daily driver. Silencer removed, K&N filter. Flexalite fan, 3 core radiator. FMS flywheel and Clutch Finally rebuilt T-5.

74 Chevy Laguna Type S-3 305 apart in garage, getting a 454 to put next to it
www.chevellepages.com/folingo

Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 10:55 AM   #3
spinemup
Registered Member

you don't need any special tools. if you need help give me a call and maybe i can answer any ?'s you remember my cell phone number? its easy anyways...not like them damn chevys
spinemup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 03:54 PM   #4
Godslayer
Registered Member

I got a KYB set of 6 (2 struts, 2 shocks, and 2 quads) for like 210 bucks from Texas Mustang Parts. They helped quite a bit but I hear they are only slightly better than stock. Mine old shocks and struts were shot. On the install, not hard at all but you'll need a buddy to help. You don't need a spring conpressor. What I did was to put a floor jack under the control arm, the car was supported on jackstands at the subs, and just jack it up a little and put some pressure on the spring. Then you can take the two bolts at the bottom of the strut that attatch it to the spindle, out. Then the top nut. Then just slip the new one in and reverse the steps. The back is pretty straight-forward. You are supposed to get an alignment on the front but I never did. Maybe my car is just a freak but I've had it 2 years and replaced ball joints, struts, etc., and never aligned it. It doesn't pull and the tire wear is well within acceptable limits. Good luck, and send me email if you have any other questions. Deathblowbob@netzero.net

------------------
87 GT
Full exhaust, K&N, KB Subs, BBK STB, homeade dumps...

87 Taurus
New York
Winters Bite!

Godslayer is offline   Reply With Quote