MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-22-2001, 08:38 AM   #1
rickdawgv8
Registered Member

Question Studs or ped

I'm buying a set of AFR 165. My delima is on the rockers, which should I buy? What is the differance in performance and installation of these two? Also, any know of a good BOOK that can help with the instalation? I have lots of mags (5.0,MMFF) but they tend to skip details). Thanks in advance.
rickdawgv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 12:44 PM   #2
jimberg
Registered Member

Stud mount rockers are stronger and easier to install. The only reason I can see for sticking with pedestal mount rockers is that you want to stick with the stock rockers or you bought an expensive upgrade for your stock heads that you would like to keep.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 02:19 AM   #3
evilmustang
Registered Member

How hard are they to install? Do they come with an instalation guide?
evilmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 09:42 AM   #4
John
Registered Member

what i have heard is peds. arent adjustable so they will tick. i want to get RR's but am in the dilemma of price vs. time, i can get rr now (peds) for stock heads or wait maybe a yr to get tfs w/stud mount RR's any thoughts on my dilemma would be appreciated also

------------------
89 Notch: ASP Pullies,
K&N Air,Transgo shiftkit,Trans. cooler,FMS 3 core Radiator, FMS 4:10's, 1.5" cowl, cold air kit, hooker equal length shorties(jet hot coated), O/R H-Pipe, ASP solid mounts, Energy Sus. Trans. Mnt. BBK 70mm TB, MSD 6al, Dual elec. fans
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 10:58 AM   #5
jimberg
Registered Member

Stud mount rockers (w/hydraulic lifters) are as easy as tightening them down until 0 lash and then giving them a 1/4 turn more. No feeler gauges necessary. If you buy them new they should come with instructions.

Pedestal mount rockers are adjustable, but you have to use shims and a feeler gauge to do it. A real pain in the butt compared to stud mount rockers.

To be fair, there are pedestal mount rockers that are adjustable without shims. They have an adjustment screw where the push rod meets with the rocker. If you plan to go to high performance heads in the future, a lot of companies only support stud mount rockers so what you get now won't be able to transfer to the new heads. That's fine if you have money to burn.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible

[This message has been edited by jimberg (edited 07-23-2001).]
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote