MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-05-2003, 01:09 AM   #1
jwboner
Registered Member

Default A stupid question I hate asking about exhaust sound

I never would have imagined I would ever be asking such a question because it is so un-hot rod ish and is quite stupid, but I'll ask anyway and see what happens. I personally chose my exhaust system and custom made the plumbing for a real mean sound without sounding overly harsh. Looking at my sig you can see what the car has. I went with the Delta Flows b/c they weree supposed to reduce interior noise.... it's not much quieter than regulars but it's something. It however doesn't reduce the exterior sound. I loved the lumpy rumble but now my tastes have changed as well as the opinion of my car by my new girl. She loves the car but after 10 o'clock she wants me nowhere near her house in it. It's not that it's THAT loud at idle but the low rumble tends to permeate right through walls of houses. People are getting pissed, and I can't even sneak up on the deaf with all the vibration. Which brings me to my question. Is there any little-known secret or back-woods tip that anybody may know that can quiet it down at idle, short of exchanging the cam or totally reworking the exhaust sytem, because I still want the performance? I know this is a stupid question and I know that I'll end up with cut-outs or something but I had a few minutes and thought I'd type it up for all to read.
Thanks for any (interesting comments)
65 fastback 347 DFI injected w/vic jr, TFS heads, MSD, cable clutch TKO, 3.70 9", tc subframe conns, custom traction bars, griffen alum radiator, armored fuel cell, and torq thrust D's Retrofitted Prelude seats. Vintage Air underdash kit. Fiberglass here and there too
More on the way all the time.
jwboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 09:16 AM   #2
drudis

You can temporarily stuff steel wool in the exhaust pipes to deaden the pulses. Sometimes we have Cobra replica (sidepipes) that need to do this to meet sound requirements at the roadcourses.
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 11:14 AM   #3
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Steeda sleeper mufflers are supposed to give you good performance but are barely louder than stock.

I dont have any experience with them I just read there add the other day.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 02:42 PM   #4
Simi Stang

Default tails??

Do you have tailpipes on there? That should quiet it down some.
Old 08-05-2003, 05:55 PM   #5
Agent_4573
Registered Member

Just remember if you do go to cutouts, you should mount them as far behind the o2 sensors as possible. Mounting in front of or directly behind will cuase your computer to go hay-wire when you open them up.
'89 LX 5.0, off-road h pipe, flowmaster muffs, underdrive pulleys, rebuilt WC T-5, King Cobra Clutch, 65mm throttle body, Explorer Upper/GT40 lower, Lakewood Rear Lift Bars. 76mm C&L Mass air w/ inlet pipe, Twisted wedge heads w/ stage 2 port,polish, MAC equal length shorties, Billet AFPR, 255LPH fuel pump, fresh low end w/ 10.5:1 compression.

If anyone ever wants to go to Raceway Park in Englishtown New Jersey, give me a shout.

RICER HATERS CLUB MEMBER 87!
www.ricehatersclub.com
Agent_4573 is offline   Reply With Quote