MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-20-2001, 01:09 AM   #1
84stangLX

Question full length or standard length subframe connectors?

I'm going to be buying a chassis brace kit, probably from maximum motorsports and was wondering whether full length subframe connectors are worth the $40 extra. The engine i want to build will be a high torque 351 stroked/bored to 427ci, so everything i'm buying now is aimed at this. I'm not worried about investing more in my mustang, but i don't want to put money where it's not needed. The thing that concerned me is that they said the full lengths are thinner than standard length connectors and have special reinforcements at possible bend areas whereas the regular length is pretty thick so it doesn't come with any reinforcement, but they say full lengths are stronger. Should i go ahead and buy the full lengths? Any ideas? thanks

------------------
'84 Mustang 5.0 T5, FMS aluminum radiator & 180* t-stat, 1 5/8 shortys/2.5" duals, '88 GT tail lights and wheels, Holley 4160 4 BBL, FMS smog pump idler
Old 04-20-2001, 02:31 AM   #2
84stangLX

another setup i was thinking of getting was the Kenny Brown Extreme sub system that also has an option of regular or full length connectors.
Old 04-20-2001, 09:25 AM   #3
Skankin
Registered Member

The front subframe doesn't look much stronger than the floorpan... I'd go for the full length, and tie the suspension pick-ups together.

I've got the Western Motorsports SFC's. Griggs, Global West, Maximum Motorsports & Kenny Brown all have decent SFC's.

I wouldn't bother with the ladder/matrix bracing though... it looks like a lot of added weight, for little benefit. If you think you need it, you should go for a roll bar (that'll really add to the torsional rigidity). Some of the 4 pts aren't that intrusive, but a 6 pt would certainly be better. Kenny Brown's RB doesn't look like it'd get in the way... it's thinner & lighter, but doesn't cut it for some of the faster NHRA rules. For street/autocross, it looks pretty good.
Skankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2001, 10:53 AM   #4
Mad Horse
Registered Member

I just got some WMS xtrac subframes and they are full length. They are not thin by any means. They are made of 2" round roll bar caging and are about 4 to 4.5' long. I got them from www.wmsracing.com for about $105.00 including shipping.

------------------
88GT 5-speed
Mods: Cervinis Ram air hood 3.73 gears, King Cobra clutch, Pro 5.0, March alum. Pullies, DynoMax Cat-back, WMS Xtrac subframes, 16" Ponies.
"Nip it in the Bud"
My Webpage
Mad Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2001, 03:48 PM   #5
84stangLX

Thanks, those western motorsports subframes look nice and beefy ! I'll definately get those, thank you guys, i didn't even know about Western until you guys guided me to the light!