MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-10-2003, 10:34 PM   #1
mike5p01
Registered Member

Post 'super' stroker vs 'budget' stroker

I finally got a second vehicle and I've been thinking over some ideas for what I'd like to do to the stang. I was thinking of getting my tired motor rebuilt with a 331 stroker kit .. throw on some AFR's and a decent came.. the works. Since I 'think' I've decided to use the stock block I've come to accept I won't be going over 500 horses so I'm not going to use any power adders But thats okay. My question is... there are many versions of the 331 stroker kits... do I really need to get the expensive kit or would a 'budget' kit work just as well... since I won't push over 500 hp natually asparated? I'm all for reliabiity and I don't mind spending the extra money.. I just don't want to overkill it. Also I don't plan to do the rebuild myself.. I'd like to but I don't have the space. I was thinking of taking the shortblock to a machine shop and have them install the kit. Is this the best approach or could i just buy a 'new' short block from dss for about the same price as the parts and the work? I'm just looking for opinoins... or things that have made you say "Boy next time I'm going to do it this way .. " Thanks guys I know this was long but I will appreciate any advice

-Mike5p0
Old 10-10-2003, 11:12 PM   #2
billheis
Registered Member

The cost of machine shop has really gotten expensive. I think you best route if not doing it yourself is to go with a company like DDS, Coast or D & D. They do alot of engines and that helps to keep prices lower and its only about $100 to ship engine to you
90 Convertable 5.0 LX, ported E7s w/ THumper valve job, TFS street, FR 65mm TB, B cam w/1.7 cobra rockers, kirban AFPR, Mac CAI, Mac Headers, off road h, 3 chamber flows, Crane ign. box, 3:73s, Art Carr AOD & 2600 converter
billheis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 01:10 AM   #3
b055
Registered Member

machine shops around here arent that bad.. but i dont know how bad they would be somewhere else..

a mail order engine isnt a bad idea either.. lots of good companys around

u can make 500hp out of a 302/306 so i dont see the need in a stroker unless you go with an aftermarket block.. then the sky is the limit.. so for a mild buildup i'd keep it as budget as possible.. you'll be happier that way.
Old 10-11-2003, 04:02 PM   #4
jonnyk
Being stroked is great

I disagree. I know a couple guys who did 306's and I did a 331, and they all wish they'd spent the extra money on a 331. I went with the "cheap" parts, cast steel crank, I beam rods, but good pistons. The extra torque of the stroker is definitely worth the money. The "budget" kits will easily support 500 horsepower (rotating assembly). I would recommend ONLY Scat or Eagle for crank and rods, machine work is minimal with these. My Scat kit didn't require clearancing for the rods on the cylinder walls either. I have Probe pistons in mine which I think are fine at stock block power levels, but if I did it again that's the only thing I would have changed (to a JE/SRP or Ross piston). Get a set of moly rings and Clevite bearings and you're set.
I personally wouldn't trust DSS with cheap pistons and "stock" cleaned up rotating parts, and Coast I ruled out after hearing a lot of negative experiences. Good person to buy from is Brian at AD Performance (www.adperformance.com). I bought my kit from him, great prices and he really knows his stuff.

Mods Pics
jonnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 10:11 PM   #5
juiceman
Registered Member

a budget stroker kit will be fine if you plan on sticking with it. in other words, if you think you will want to make more power or add juice or s/c then the higher priced kits would be better. the extra money usually goes to crank and pistons, a stock crank will handle plenty of hp and the pistons, honestly doesnt matter. most people like forged but hypers work just as well. im a firm believer in safety first, so buy the best you can afford. one thing, never skimp on the little stuff, thats more important than the bigger things. next thing, you cant beat mail order engines. 8 of 10 times they will be cheaper in the end.the only time we build engines like that is when a person wants specific parts or specs, otherwise, if you just want an engine go to dss.
juiceman is offline   Reply With Quote