MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-2003, 10:34 PM   #1
mike5p01
Registered Member

Post 'super' stroker vs 'budget' stroker

I finally got a second vehicle and I've been thinking over some ideas for what I'd like to do to the stang. I was thinking of getting my tired motor rebuilt with a 331 stroker kit .. throw on some AFR's and a decent came.. the works. Since I 'think' I've decided to use the stock block I've come to accept I won't be going over 500 horses so I'm not going to use any power adders But thats okay. My question is... there are many versions of the 331 stroker kits... do I really need to get the expensive kit or would a 'budget' kit work just as well... since I won't push over 500 hp natually asparated? I'm all for reliabiity and I don't mind spending the extra money.. I just don't want to overkill it. Also I don't plan to do the rebuild myself.. I'd like to but I don't have the space. I was thinking of taking the shortblock to a machine shop and have them install the kit. Is this the best approach or could i just buy a 'new' short block from dss for about the same price as the parts and the work? I'm just looking for opinoins... or things that have made you say "Boy next time I'm going to do it this way .. " Thanks guys I know this was long but I will appreciate any advice

-Mike5p0