MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-10-2002, 11:37 AM   #1
RodsByRad
Registered Member

Default Supercharger or Turbo(s)? How much hp?

I have a stock 95 GT with MAC longtubes and flowmasters. I am trying to decide between turbo(s) and supercharger.

My question is how much hp can I get with the stock motor. I'm trying to work off a budget right now and have $3000 - $3500 to spend. I can buy a supercharger or maybe a turbo kit (possibly used) OR go with heads, cam and intake, but not both at the same time.

Is it possible to get 400+ rwhp without hurting the motor in the stock config?

I plan to bolt whatever I get on, and have fun with it while building a 331 in the next year or so. When I put that in I want to turn the hp up to 600-700rwhp and keep it a daily driver so it must be dependable. I already have one project that is really too wild to drive daily (1350hp pump gas):

http://www.rodsbyrad.com/534SS.htm

What do you guys recommend?

Emmisions control isn't a concern as they don't test where I live, but daily driven and dependable are a concern. I know this can be done, I'm just not sure how yet. I want to keep my A/C and other creature comforts.
'95 GT - 17x11/17x9.5 American Torq Thrust II's, Yokohama AVS Sports, MAC Longtubes, 2-chamber Flowmasters
RodsByRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 12:25 PM   #2
Lethal5Oh
Registered Member

Go to this site. http://www.turbodrivenconcepts.com/main.asp
It will give you the info you want on turbos.
'95 GT convert. K&N, C&L mass air meter, Performance distributors sreamin demon coil, dyna mod, live wires, king cobra clutch, flowmaster american thunder exhaust, UPR billet adjustable shift handle, Crane Cams Fireball HI-6 box,underdrive pullies, 255lph fuel pump, UPr short throw shifter, caster camber plates, 03 cobra lower A arms, bullit suspension, cobra front brakes
Lethal5Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 01:04 PM   #3
RodsByRad
Registered Member

I can't find crap on their site. It's a nice looking site, but short on content, at least for my '95. I think I may go with Pro Turbo. They deliver in 21 days, are knowlegeable and are reasonably priced.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lethal5Oh
Go to this site. http://www.turbodrivenconcepts.com/main.asp
It will give you the info you want on turbos.
'95 GT - 17x11/17x9.5 American Torq Thrust II's, Yokohama AVS Sports, MAC Longtubes, 2-chamber Flowmasters
Old 06-10-2002, 02:37 PM   #4
Lethal5Oh
Registered Member

I gave you that link because there is a 95 with a stock bottom end, and i think its other wise stock, but it has like 500HP. you have to download their catalogue.
'95 GT convert. K&N, C&L mass air meter, Performance distributors sreamin demon coil, dyna mod, live wires, king cobra clutch, flowmaster american thunder exhaust, UPR billet adjustable shift handle, Crane Cams Fireball HI-6 box,underdrive pullies, 255lph fuel pump, UPr short throw shifter, caster camber plates, 03 cobra lower A arms, bullit suspension, cobra front brakes
Lethal5Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 03:17 PM   #5
RodsByRad
Registered Member

The catalog for the '87-'95's is blank. When you download it and open it is is a single page that says 'coming soon'.

The catalog for the newer models is there. I'd love to have the 2x outlaw.

Rad...

Quote:
Originally posted by Lethal5Oh
I gave you that link because there is a 95 with a stock bottom end, and i think its other wise stock, but it has like 500HP. you have to download their catalogue.
Old 06-10-2002, 03:59 PM   #6
91GTturbo
Registered Member

Rad,

400 fwhp in stock configuration is attainable, but it would naturally require an upgraded fuel system and a very good tune. I would personally go turbo, ok I'm bias, but the ability to turn the boost up and down depending on the gas (standard pump vs race) and not having to spin the motor to high rpms to produce boost are both bonuses in my book.

To get 400 rwhp would require some porting on the factory heads and intake, but is easily done.

As far as Pro Turbo, yes they do promise a 21 day delivery, but no one has yet to see one of their kits on a car and making hp. The information they have provided does lead me to believe they are going to be a good company to deal with and someone has to be the first, why not you right.

Check out www.turbomustangs.com for alot of information and links to about everything turbo related you might want.

Also the guy running Pro Turbo does post on there so you should be able to get as much info as you want.

Might I also suggest Turbo Technology, they are well know for getting their kits out quickly and are none for having some of the easiest kits to work around once in the car, unlike some of the others.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 06-10-2002, 04:32 PM   #7
RodsByRad
Registered Member

The guy at Pro Turbo is very helpfull. I don't mind being the first one. He said he has sold one more in this state (Oklahoma) but didn't mention the city.

I'm kind of turbo biased also. Not because I have one, but because they are in the power sooner and don't loose the 15-20% to drive them. I just think they make more power with the same amount of boost...sure I'll get flamed for that.

I've been on turbomustangs.com and also to turbo tech's website. I haven't gotten a price from them yet though.

Rad...

Quote:
Originally posted by 91GTturbo
Rad,

400 fwhp in stock configuration is attainable, but it would naturally require an upgraded fuel system and a very good tune. I would personally go turbo, ok I'm bias, but the ability to turn the boost up and down depending on the gas (standard pump vs race) and not having to spin the motor to high rpms to produce boost are both bonuses in my book.

To get 400 rwhp would require some porting on the factory heads and intake, but is easily done.

As far as Pro Turbo, yes they do promise a 21 day delivery, but no one has yet to see one of their kits on a car and making hp. The information they have provided does lead me to believe they are going to be a good company to deal with and someone has to be the first, why not you right.

Check out www.turbomustangs.com for alot of information and links to about everything turbo related you might want.

Also the guy running Pro Turbo does post on there so you should be able to get as much info as you want.

Might I also suggest Turbo Technology, they are well know for getting their kits out quickly and are none for having some of the easiest kits to work around once in the car, unlike some of the others.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 06-10-2002, 05:59 PM   #8
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

Ive been reading alot about turbos lately and have been convinced that in most applications they are much better than superchargers. I just love that you can adjust the boost for different driving times. However i am no where near the funding for one.
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 09:15 AM   #9
RodsByRad
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MidNiteBlu 5.0
... However i am no where near the funding for one.
Have you checked out the JYTurbo stuff? I've heard of many building thier setups for under $1000. Just takes time to fab it all up. I figure I'll do my next project myself, but I want to learn from a 'working' kit.
Old 06-11-2002, 10:58 AM   #10
Stang Runner
Registered Member

Under 1000 mmmmm I dont know about if I would want one of those setups......
Engine: steel mounts, Under drive pulleys, K&N, GT-40 Intake ported Lower, No power steering, No A/C, Mac cold intake, 65MM TB, 255 Fuel pump, 24's, AFR 165 58cc, Rocker Arms 1.7with the stock Cam, 1 5/8 short headers, offRoad X-pipe
Drive Train: 3.55, T-5 with a Pro 5.0 shifter
12.656@107.71MPH See It at www.T-racing.com/mustang.htm
Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 04:12 PM   #11
91GTturbo
Registered Member

Stang Runner,

The JY setup is a build it yourself system. Find a couple of small turbos in a junkyard off of a turbocoupe T-bird for dirt cheap, find an intercooler off of a volvo of similar car and have all the piping fabricated. If you know someone that does any kind of fabriaction work, it can be real cheap, but if not, your still going to pay quite a bit to get it done. I personally would just rather save up and buy a complete kit that I know is going to make power from one of the companies.

There are some guys making insane power from JY setups though, I guess I'm just lazy.