MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-25-2004, 01:47 AM   #1
Dog5ohfun
Registered Member

Default Supercharger or turbocharger

I just want to see what kind of responses I get to this question. I have a friend at work who drives a turbo CRX, very Honda savvy, he says turbo chargers are free power and superchargers take power. I have the access to build a relatively inexpensive turbo kit. I have always wanted an ATI, BUT which way to go. I just want some input from the Mustang community. Thank you for your responses. Can't have enough power.
Black 1990 LX DSS Racing Super Pro Bullit 331, AFR 185, Anderson B31 Cam, 1.6 DSS rockers, Cobra Intake w/ 2 phenolic spacer, Aluminum DS, 3.73 gears, Tremec 3550, Lakewood SFI Bellhousing, MSD Digital 6+, Spintech Side Exhaust,
Dog5ohfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 02:39 AM   #2
scotch
Registered Member

if you can get a turbo kit together for cheap than that sounds like the way to go. Usually your talking about a little chunk of change for a turboed system. Plus you can fit it under the hood

scott
scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 03:45 AM   #3
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

1) Turbo's are the shit, they rock

2) ATI is total junk. The only blowers I would ever own are a Vortech, a Paxton Novi, or a Kenne Bell

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 07:19 AM   #4
Dave_mustang_50
Registered Member

I`ve heard the same thing from a friend of mine a few months ago. I dont see how the turbo is "free power". A Supercharger runs off the crank and takes power to create boost. The turbo`s impeller also has to turn to create boost, which is being spun off of exhaust gasses- which would create back pressure. My point is that the turbo doesnt magically create boost without loss.

Tireburner163 - I hope for my sake you are wrong about ATI, I have dealt with them after the sale and have no complaints. They even sent me a nother box of oil free. Free stuff is good

Sold 92 Rag Top GT
Procharged & intercooled DSS 331 LC
Holley Systemax 2 Intake, Edelbrock RPM Heads,E 303 ,blow thru air meter, race bypass, 42 pph injectors,65mm tb,1.7 rr, Mac long tube headers w/off road H pipe, Force 2 catback, TKO,Pro 5.0, K&N, Alum DS,3 core radiator, subframe connectors,3.73`s, Nitto DR`s and a Heavy Foot.
Dave_mustang_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 11:12 AM   #5
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave_mustang_50
I`ve heard the same thing from a friend of mine a few months ago. I dont see how the turbo is "free power". A Supercharger runs off the crank and takes power to create boost. The turbo`s impeller also has to turn to create boost, which is being spun off of exhaust gasses- which would create back pressure. My point is that the turbo doesnt magically create boost without loss.

Tireburner163 - I hope for my sake you are wrong about ATI, I have dealt with them after the sale and have no complaints. They even sent me a nother box of oil free. Free stuff is good

You are correct. No power adder is "free power", Turbo's do create a exhaust restriction. However there is much less parasitic drag with a turbo.

I've seen a lot of bad stuff around the net and in person with ATI blowers. They just don't seem to hold up as well and from what I've seen they're customer support sucks when something is broken. It's never their fault.

On the other hand, very rarely do you here anything bad about
Vortech.

-Josh, aka the tireburner

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 11:57 AM   #6
Dave_mustang_50
Registered Member

Heres what little I know about the turbo. A smaller impeller with less rotational mass will have less lag and give better throttle response off idle, but cavitate at higher rpm. And a heavier impeller with a more aggressive pitch will produce higher boost but will be slower to spool. Which is why they twin turbo some cars to get the best of both worlds. A supercharger gives both.
Either way both ways of powering the blower, Turbo or SC can provide with more than enough power. Just my 2 cents

Sold 92 Rag Top GT
Holley Systemax 2 Intake, Edelbrock RPM Heads,E 303 ,blow thru air meter, race bypass, 42 pph injectors,65mm tb,1.7 rr, Mac long tube headers w/off road H pipe, Force 2 catback, TKO,Pro 5.0, K&N, Alum DS,3 core radiator, subframe connectors,3.73`s, Nitto DR`s and a Heavy Foot.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:32 PM   #7
Dog5ohfun
Registered Member

Thank you for your responses.
I didn't mean that a turbo was free horsepower, just that you are using exhaust gases that are spent anyway to add power.

As far as the choice of ATI is concerned, when I lived in Florida the local shop there was for Vortech and when I moved back to Washington they liked ATI. Is it like any other product, brand loyalty? I knew this type of question would get some interesting input from everyone. Thank you for your time and continued input is greatly appreciated.
Black 1990 LX DSS Racing Super Pro Bullit 331, AFR 185, Anderson B31 Cam, 1.6 DSS rockers, Cobra Intake w/ 2 phenolic spacer, Aluminum DS, 3.73 gears, Tremec 3550, Lakewood SFI Bellhousing, MSD Digital 6+, Spintech Side Exhaust,
Old 04-26-2004, 08:18 PM   #8
Dave_mustang_50
Registered Member

Just curious, where in Fl were you and what speed shop did you go to?

Sold 92 Rag Top GT
Old 04-27-2004, 06:25 AM   #9
Ackbar00
Rebel Fleet Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by tireburner163
1) Turbo's are the shit, they rock
Where is the Im with Stupid Icon...

Read what my state of tune was, and see what my car ran. You can see why I like Turbo

http://forums.mustangworks.com/showt...threadid=42256

11.25@123.5 on only 8 psi.
10.84@121 on only 1 headgasket

"The Truth is, Your the Weak, and I am the Tyranny of Evil Men!"

Ackbar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 08:36 AM   #10
crazypete
Registered Member

Look at the setups for all the guys running the serious numbers: almost all of them are twin turbos. That was the impression I got last time I checked.

Plus with a turbo, you only get the power when you need it so you're not wasting crazy gas like with a supercharger. Plus you can pull off the sound dampener on the dump valve and your car will sound like a jet!! You just can't mess with THAT!
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 10:08 AM   #11
glenn95gt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crazypete
Look at the setups for all the guys running the serious numbers: almost all of them are twin turbos. That was the impression I got last time I checked.

Plus with a turbo, you only get the power when you need it so you're not wasting crazy gas like with a supercharger. Plus you can pull off the sound dampener on the dump valve and your car will sound like a jet!! You just can't mess with THAT!
Just out of curiosity have you owned both a turbocharged, and a supercharged car? And please tell me more about the gas theory.
My Car
glenn95gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 10:44 AM   #12
crazypete
Registered Member

I have owned a turbo'ed car but it wasnt a pony. It was an evil foregin car (saab 9000). I have known someone with a supercharged car and a S/C becomes an inherent coponent of the motor. You're "boosting" from the moment you turn the key and you're even boosting at idle (kinda sorta). It's always boosting, even if you're meandering around in traffic as it is a belt accessory and turns with the motor (I'm not completely familiar with the dump valve setups for S/C's though so I could be wrong about the idle boosting).

The turbo, if you stay off the gas pedal will...more or less.... act like it's not there. The boost will be so trivial that you're basically driving around on the original motor and all that entails. When you get it going, the turbo spins up and you get power and burn lots of gas and get thrown back into your seat. I LOVE the way it feels when the turbo spins up while you're in gear.

There is one drawback to turbo's (well, two if you count the extra plumbing it takes to get oil down to the turbo and the funky headers you need and so forth) . Turbo's have a "lag" where power wont build up until the turbo gets spinning. The bigger the turbo, the bigger the lag. Usually, it's not terrible with a "factory" setup since these are relatively small turbos but the larger ones can have a noticable delay. I loved my lag. If you're in 5th on the highway and you suddenly put the gas in, you can feel the acceleration mounting.

I'd go turbo!

Pete
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 11:33 AM   #13
glenn95gt
Registered Member

to me boost is boost, both put strain on the motor. If I had the money I would probably go to a turbo set up no doubt. Good luck with your choice in power adder. I am pretty happy with my S trim.
My Car
glenn95gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 12:22 PM   #14
Dog5ohfun
Registered Member

Reply to Dave_Mustang_50,
I was in Jacksonville, Florida. The local shop in particular does not exist anymore. The other shop I went to was Racer Walsh but I never talked to them about power adders. Actually I didn't buy much from them, seemed a little expensive. Also didn't really start building the car till I moved back to Washington.