MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-30-2001, 06:55 AM   #1
speed_Freek170
Registered Member

Question surging problem?

I have a 94 3.8L Mustang that has an infrequent surging condition. The car is equipped with an automatic transmission, and has 90,000 miles on it. The car jerks quite bad and feels as though someone was keying it of and back on really quick. This only happens at lower Rpm’s (usually below 2500), and will happen in any gear including park and neutral. If it is surging when the car is brought to a stop, it will stall. The problem is not consistent, some days it is very bad, others it runs fine. The car still makes good power on top, but does have poor throttle response (which I’m told is common with the 3.8L). The fuel pump and filter have recently been replaced and has about 34 psi at the rail at idle. I’ve had a MAC scan tool on it and all the sensors are operation properly (at least that’s what the scan tool indicated). I’ve unhooked the MAF and the condition is still there. The EGR is operating properly, and the condition is there with it unhooked. The TPS is also functioning properly. There is no indication of plugged cats. The spark plugs are new, and the wires are not melted or arcing out. All battery cables are in good shape and are clean of corrosion. The car does have a stereo system drawing about 800 to 1000 watts, but the condition is there whether it is hooked up or not. The car had been in for the head gaskets (a recall, I understand) by the previous owner, but mechanically the engine checks out ok. It has between 170 and 180 psi in each cylinder. I am really leaning towards an electrical problem but am really not certain what it could be. Does an internally shorted coil pack sound likely? I’m new to mustangs, is this a common problem? If any one has any ideas, or has ran into this problem before please help.
speed_Freek170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 11:58 AM   #2
GodStang
College Stanger

I do not know if this helps but my 1994 stang would be driving along fine and just out of the blue start jerking for 2 or 3 secs and than stop, than contiuned to run fine. I changed the Cam sensor and for the past year it has run perfect. I also had more power after it was chaged.
GodStang is offline   Reply With Quote