MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-15-2006, 01:00 PM   #1
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Default Suspension help.

My car squats in the rear hardcore on the launch the passenger side muffler actually scrapes the ground on the launch.

I installed an airbag in the passenger side rear spring and put a torque arm on the motor. The airbag helped a little but not enough.

My current set-up is.

Removed front sway bar
4 banger springs in the front
Steeda sub-frame connectors
Granatelli upper and lower control arms
Air bag in the passenger side rear spring
Torque arm on motor

I am thinking that maybe stiffer springs in the rear would be the answer.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 01:32 PM   #2
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Default Re: Suspension help.

I'm ASSUMING you have "GT" springs in the rear, RIGHT?

REAR sway bar still in tact? First thing I would do is drop the ride height on all 4 corners, if you haven't done so already. LOW center of gravity is what you're shooting for here. Maybe throw a few more PSI into the air bag. Low center of gravity automatically lowers your "instant center", which is WAAAAY important on the launch.

What kind of shocks/struts are you running? 4cyl. springs up front, but what's out back. Are they GOOD???

Rubber or Eurothane bushing on those control arms? EVERYTHING back there needs to be solid spherical bushings, or at least eurothane.

If all that's good, next thing I'm looking at is an anti roll bar.

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 02:50 PM   #3
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~The Jester~
I'm ASSUMING you have "GT" springs in the rear, RIGHT?

REAR sway bar still in tact? First thing I would do is drop the ride height on all 4 corners, if you haven't done so already. LOW center of gravity is what you're shooting for here. Maybe throw a few more PSI into the air bag. Low center of gravity automatically lowers your "instant center", which is WAAAAY important on the launch.

What kind of shocks/struts are you running? 4cyl. springs up front, but what's out back. Are they GOOD???

Rubber or Eurothane bushing on those control arms? EVERYTHING back there needs to be solid spherical bushings, or at least eurothane.

If all that's good, next thing I'm looking at is an anti roll bar.
Yeah GT springs in the rear. 04GT stock shocks and struts.

Seriously lower the car? I always heard that a lowered car killed weight transfer to the rear wheels.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 08:59 PM   #4
stanger66
dreaming about mustangs

Lower it in the front and rear wont squat as much or raise it in the back with blocks. And maybe add air shocks. I lowered my front end in my 87 hatch and no problem with squat and I had 628rwhp (351C 19 sc 300 nos).

ross
stanger66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:46 PM   #5
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_5.0
Yeah GT springs in the rear. 04GT stock shocks and struts.

Seriously lower the car? I always heard that a lowered car killed weight transfer to the rear wheels.
well the typical lowered cars are the ones with stiff "handling" springs, which will kill weight transfer

go take a look at any of the small tire classes in NMRA or FFW. Do you see any RS, REN, outlaw guys with their cars all jacked up in the air like the typically bracket racing hillbilly? No. Why? Because their suspension is working.

do like the jester said and try a few more psi in the airbag. also, how much tire pressure are you running? Is the stock rear sway bar still there?
You can try a few other things too. Adjustable strange shocks are cheap, and can be very helpful when dialing in the suspension. Also, antisquat is something that needs to be addressed, likely with the lower control arms. Are those granatelli arms the black bent tubular ones with the adjustable spring perch? If so, then first inspect them for being busted, lol, cause I've seen many that way.