MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-27-2002, 12:35 PM   #1
Kamaro Killer
Mustang Enthusiast

Default Suspension Question

I have some Steeda lowering springs on my car for now. I am going to replace my struts to raise the car to the normal height, but I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to suspension. Does anyone have any suggestions on struts? I'm going to drive this car everyday, and will rarely be at the track. I want something that's going to handle a little better than the stock springs. If anyone has found a nice set of struts let me know. Also, would it even be worth trying to replace them myself, or just to shell out the cash to have them replaced? Thanks, Keith

Rice Hater's Club Member 22
Kamaro Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 02:00 PM   #2
DRASTiK
Registered Member

It's not very difficult to replace the front struts, so I'd say do it yourself. As far as good brands, I use KYB, and I like them. There are many different brands to choose from.

If you're replacing the struts to raise your car, then you're wasting your money, the only thing that will really raise it back up, is new springs.

If you meant springs instead of struts, then it's a whole different story.

RHC member #75

My stang is FOR SALE!!
DRASTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 02:34 PM   #3
Kamaro Killer
Mustang Enthusiast

Default Let me explain

I want my car to stay lowered. The problem is I don't have enough room in between my rear axle and the body of the car to run tailpipes. I am in California, so I have to run tailpipes to pass smog. I can't think of any way to get the tailpipes under my car unless it's raised to the normal height. Like I said before, I am inexperienced when it comes to suspension, so I'm not even sure of what suspension parts I need to raise the car. I guess I need more help than I thought, lol. Just keep the suggestions coming as far as what options I have. Thanks, Keith

Old 06-27-2002, 02:40 PM   #4
89 Cobra LX
Don Corlione

The springs need to be replaced with something that will lower the car less. Try the Eibach pro kit. Your shocks and struts should be fine. Out of curiousity, what brand shocks and struts are you running?
5 speed 302-Cobra Intake-GT40p heads-TFS stage 1 cam-FRPP 1.6 roller rockers-3:73 gears-KYB shocks and struts-Eibach Pro-kit-HPM Mega-bite upper and lower control arms-FRPP aluminum driveshaft-16x8 Chrome Cobra Rs

R.H.C. #14
89 Cobra LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 04:59 PM   #5
5000Man

I installed Eibach's with 1.5 inch drop along with new factory struts and shocks. The combo handles flat around corners, looks good, and is not too harsh.

Stuts and shocks are easy to replace, get a friend to help with the front springs though.

If you are doing this just for exhaust, why not either cut holes in your bumper cover (carefully) or get a cobra style cover that allows you to run LX tail pipes?
Old 06-27-2002, 05:58 PM   #6
Kamaro Killer
Mustang Enthusiast

Default Its not that...

I have a stock h-pipe with 2 chamber flowmasters on it. When I bought the car a year ago, the car did not have tailpipes attached to it, but it did have the flowmasters. I recently bought the 2 1/2" tailpipes that go along with the mufflers, and am now realizing that with the Steeda lowering springs lower the car so much, that I can't possibly fit tailpipes into the muffler and have them fit in between the axle and the under carriage of the car. The only possible solution that I could see, is that the car has to be raised to the normal height or a little higher than it is now, in order to install my tailpipes. The tailpipes are already bent down at the end of them, so I don't have to cut my bumper. Don't get me wrong, if I could leave my car lowered I would, but I don't understand how I could put my tailpipes up without raising the car. If anyone has their (GT) car lowered 1 1/2" to 2" let me know how the tailpipes fit up there. Thanks, Keith

Old 06-27-2002, 08:36 PM   #7
93GTDIN
Registered Member

a buddy of mine has steed lowering springs and flowmasters, GT pipes and all. seems to work alright. You might want to try adjusting your hangers a bit.