MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-10-2006, 11:35 AM   #1
scale
Registered Member

Default Suspension upgrades on my 91LX

I think im going with Bilsteins all around with H&R Sport Springs. I may go Super Sport......i havent fully decided....

anyway....my question is......the rubbers in the shocks both on the top of the strut tower and in the shock mount itself.....

should those be replaced? I imagine so since mine are stock. I have new spring isolators etc comming with my springs.....but the rubbers...were do you get such a thing? SHould that be replaced with Poly or just go to the dealer ship and get the same old rubber? Im having troubles finding what i should run.
1991 LX coupe,AOD, red, 80k, K&N, MAC cat back, MAC off-road X, Autometer Gauges, BBK Ceramic unequals, fully polished upper intake, fuel rails, and egr, working on installing.....MM full length subs, H&R sport springs, MM Lower control arms, MM caster camber plates, bilstein shocks, struts.
scale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:10 PM   #2
richs347
Registered Member

Default Re: Suspension upgrades on my 91LX

From looking at your setup and what your doing I'd guess this is primarily a street car with occassional track duty. The new rear shocks should come with new bottom bushings installed, I don't know about the upper bushings. At this level, I would just pull the stock bushing, check for wear and tear, and or replace it with another stock piece if necessary. You probably wouldn't notice a difference in ride quality firming up this bushing location. New isolators are a good thing. In the front, save a few more dollars and opt for a good set of caster / camber plates. This will positively locate the strut where you want it and allow for solid alignments. They will also increase your caster which these cars need much more of. There are rubber bump stops that fit on the top area of the struts - I'd just toss it onto the new strut if it's in good shape. It's only there to cushion the blow as you try to bottom out the strut. New lowering springs should also come with a shorter version of the current bumpstop above the rear axle housing. Make sure you get that in there also - or buy one if one doesn't come. You don't want to hear your rear end banging when going over bumps.

www.mustangpartstech.com
richs347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:16 PM   #3
scale
Registered Member

thanks for the reply

what about those round rubber things inside the springs on the stock springs? Do i put those in the new springs? They sure are ugly what ever they are....
1991 LX coupe,AOD, red, 80k, K&N, MAC cat back, MAC off-road X, Autometer Gauges, BBK Ceramic unequals, fully polished upper intake, fuel rails, and egr, working on installing.....MM full length subs, H&R sport springs, MM Lower control arms, MM caster camber plates, bilstein shocks, struts.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:36 AM   #4
richs347
Registered Member

You can just remove those.

www.mustangpartstech.com
richs347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 09:51 AM   #5
scale
Registered Member

im debating on replacing my lower control arms while im in there.

I dont have a lift and im not sure how to get at the bolts. An impact gun wont fit and a breaker bar is too long to get any leverage with the car on jack stands.

IM working with the outer nut at ths point. If i can get that loose on both sides then i will pull my catback and get on it from the inside. I dont really want to pull my exaust to find out i still cant get them

any tricks here?
Old 12-16-2006, 12:31 PM   #6
scale
Registered Member

GOT 'EM!

They are now both off....

Time to order some Xmas Parts
Old 12-16-2006, 04:19 PM   #7
scale
Registered Member

Anyone know where to get new lower control arm bolt kits cheap?

Im ordering some Maximum Motorsport arms and they dont come with them...
Old 12-16-2006, 05:00 PM   #8
The Deuce
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scale
Anyone know where to get new lower control arm bolt kits cheap?

Im ordering some Maximum Motorsport arms and they dont come with them...
That is not something you want to cheap out on. If they shear off (and it can happen with low grade stuff) you'll be replacing more than just the bolts.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 06:36 PM   #9
scale
Registered Member

good point...

anyone know where they can be had??
Old 12-19-2006, 08:21 AM   #10
scale
Registered Member

well my springs came in. i cant wait to get them in. I pulled my pinion snubber for replacement last night. Im still waiting to hear back from the ford dealership on the bolts. Hopefully the rest of the parts will be in sometime this week.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:33 AM   #11
Pokey 5.0
Prince the Porcelain Pimp

theyre just grade 8 bolts. you should be able to just go to a home depot/lowes/menards and match up the size and length or you can also get them from UPR Products. if you call UPR, Jeremy or Phil can get you hooked up. great people to deal with.

Tony
NMRA P/S #5131

CMP Racing
Flaming River
Pakman Motorsports
Belden Inc.
UPR Products
All Show Polishing (Rob 708-997-0226)
Strange Engineering
Pokey 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:32 AM   #12
scale
Registered Member

I just talked to the dealership this week.

They cant get lower control arm bolts. They are NA from ford according to the parts viewer....

any other ideas? They said they can get the lower bolts for the lower control arms but the bolts for the other end they cant get. They also cant get the shock bolts....weird

any other ideas? I might have to call UPR I wouldnt imagine that Homedepot would have the proper length. THey never have any thing else i go in there for
Old 12-27-2006, 09:20 AM   #13
scale
Registered Member

i just ordered them from UPR. Probably over priced but i want to make sure it is done right. I should have the bolts this week. Im excited to get this thing back together so i can start working on the front....
Old 01-08-2007, 12:59 PM   #14
USMC302
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scale
good point...

anyone know where they can be had??
Sorry so late but I was going to suggest UPR too. Good quality bolts.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:14 PM   #15
scale
Registered Member

yup..i got them installed. THey worked great