MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-14-2002, 09:35 PM   #1
Chipdog
Registered Member

Question Swapping to a Cobra intake what will I need?

I won a cobra Intake on E-bay and was wondering what I will need for the swap. It will be coming with fel-pro 1262 intake gaskets will I need anything else? Are there any good web pages that have a step by step with pics?
Any Idea how much more HP I should get or will I not see it till I get heads. Ah heads someday I will get some

And a 9 pound Blow Job
Chipdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 11:07 PM   #2
Bad89stang
Registered Member

Default Things to consider...

I am no expert, but I would use some RTV silicone around the corners between the lower and the heads. You may also want to consider gasgacinch to hold the gaskets in place. Make sure you clean all surfaces very well so that the gaskets make a good seal. Especially on the head surfaces. I am not sure of the HP gains that you will get without heads or cam, but I know that the advertised gains are with better heads and some other minor bolt on stuff.
Old 01-14-2002, 11:59 PM   #3
aar0s
Registered Member

i know when i put mine on my et went down and my trap was a lil faster but my motor was purrty much stock. you will need something to either connect or plug the coolent lines that goes to the spacer , cobra dont use it. i pluged mine with a 2 big screws but a buddy of mine went as far as fabing up a metal line that looked stock. some of that rtv silicone, a fuel line tool to dissconect the lines and be darn carefull with the injectors. might as well change the pvc valve. i went to the ford dealer and bought a new screen and gromet to boot.
aar0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 12:32 AM   #4
Mach 1
Registered Member

you dont need to disconnect the fuel line, just loosen the hold down bolt by the passenger side header, and swing the fuel rail assembly to the side.

and you have the wrong gasket, you need a felpro 1250.

the job is easy, just go for it, youll see how easy it is once you get started, dont be intimidated by a bunch of nuts and bolts, just rip that baby off and install the new one
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 08:08 AM   #5
Chipdog
Registered Member

wrong size gasket? I think it was ported to that gasket it that possible? I don't know too much about gasket sizes.
Thanks for the posts
chip

And a 9 pound Blow Job
Chipdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 09:49 AM   #6
avbcon12
Registered Member

the gasket you will be getting with it is too big for the intake ports on the stock heads. if the intake is ported to that gasket you will have a big lip when the intake port meets the head. this will cause a lot of turbulance.
its a simple project, but i wouldnt even bother wasting your time on it now. you will not see any gains. i didnt!
once you get some heads, then put it on. i just wished i had waited for my GT-40's before i put it on my stock heads.

hope i helped,
adam
ported GT-40 heads w/ 1.7RR, Cobra intake w/ ported lower, 24# injectors, 190LPH pump, 75mm Pro-M MAF, 65mm TB, K&N panel, BBK long tubes, Off road H-pipe, 2 ch. Flowmaster, Black magic fan, Kirban FPR, 180 deg. T-stat, 3.73's, Steeda Tri-Ax, 130 amp alt. Accell 8.8 race wires/cap/rotor, motorcraft plugs, Factory Five suspension, etc etc etc....

http://avbcon12.stangnet.com
avbcon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 11:35 AM   #7
John
Registered Member

When I did mine, I also did the cam. I pulled the heads and got a valve job and decked them .010, also new springs locks and retainers, she had 150,000 on her. I gasket matched the heads and intake myself, also cleaned up the runners and throttle body hole on the upper. Dunno how many miles you have but its something to think about, till the money for heads come along. Those mods netted me a half a second in the 1/8 and a cooked AOD . John
John is offline   Reply With Quote