MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-28-2001, 05:02 PM   #1
Super_Stang
Registered Member

Post syncronizer?

I have an 89 Mustang gt that i just bought with 156K on it.. It sounds so wonderful, however the previouse kid that had it was a loser and didn't take too good a care for it. I got it for 1600 and i speant about 200 on some tune up parts today and got everytihng runnin ok. PROBLEM! the t5 is no good. well it is but the synchropnizers r bad ( i think ) here is the deal. : i start out in first let it get to about 3 grand and shift to second GRRRRIINNDDD! after i let the revs down and i slow down.. it will fall in. then to third a little grind then in ok same thing with forth and fith is just dandy. HOWEVER! sometimes when i am riding around i will come out of forth to down shift it locks up and i have to wiggle it left to right to get the zynchronizer to finally catch any gear.

HELP! would it be better to find a rebuilt t5 or just get a new and stronger t5 from a catalog or what? i got about 2 grand to spend on it and i spend 2 hundred already... what now?
Super_Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2001, 05:19 PM   #2
exgmguy
Registered Member

You clutch may not be adjusted properly. Does it engage really high? It should engage about 3 inches from the floor.

About the trans, it all depends on what your plans for the car are. If you plan on racing it alot, or adding significant power, get a Tremec 3550 out of the mags. It cost a little more than a new T-5, but is a lot stronger. You'll need to get the Tremec bellhousing with it. I think you can get both for around 1400.

------------------
1988 Mustang GT
11.8 @ 123 (7/14/01)
1992 BadAzz Wrangler
1993 Explorer
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2001, 06:49 PM   #3
91notch
Registered Member

I would go T5Z. The Tremec can handle gobs of power, but it's quality has always been spotty. I had a TKO and got rid of it after a month because it was noisy, notchy, and heavy. I got the T5Z and couldn't be happier. In the mean time double clutching will help ease the grinding if it is indeed your 2nd gear synchro, which I would think it propably is.
91notch is offline   Reply With Quote