MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 09:20 PM   #1
82 GT
Import Slayer

Default Should I paint lifter galley?

I'm starting to get parts around to rebuild my 351w fpr my '82.
Last night I painted the block but was debating if I should paint the lifter galley or not. I read in some mags that painting the lifter galley promotes better oil return to the crank case because the surface is smoother.
I'm using VHT high temperature engine paint.
Has anyone tried this or heard about it?
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
Old 04-20-2003, 11:59 PM   #2
Mustanguy

Cool

My vote is no,just dont like the idea of paint particles possibly inside my motor

Old 04-21-2003, 02:57 AM   #3
Reddogg7885
Registered Member

I wouldn't, sounds too much liks using sand paper to scuff the outside of rod bearings. Sand paper and bearings should never be in the same sentance!!
Old 04-21-2003, 11:47 AM   #4
Shaggy
Registered Member

I paint the valley on all my motors. If you do it just make sure the metal is spotless clean and use brake cleaner not carb cleaner for the last stage of cleaning because it will strip off any chemicals you used to clean it and when it evaporates it leaves no residue behind.
Old 04-21-2003, 02:43 PM   #5
82 GT
Import Slayer

My block was hot tanked so I should be good to go then.
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:40 PM   #6
Shaggy
Registered Member

Still use brake cleaner to clean offf the block there is chemical residue left over from hot tanking the block.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:46 PM   #7
Bad89stang
Registered Member

Thumbs down

not a good idea folks.
Old 04-23-2003, 07:44 AM   #8
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

I've never painted an engine.. but...

a) you're not going to see it
b) it's allways coated with oil so it wont rust or anything
c) why take the chance of the paint peeling up and crapping up the inside of your engine

that's just how I see it... plus it's easier not to, even if you were to paint it, you've have to mask off all the lifter holes and oil holes... hardly seems worth the effort... gravity will get your oil back down, getting to the top is the hardpart.

-=as
Old 04-23-2003, 08:16 AM   #9
DemonGT
Registered Member

mine is painted...its a special paint for this..and yes..it is to help oil run back to the pan faster...it is called Glyptal...you can buy it from eastwoodco.com

'91 GT,410W,10.5 to 1 comp,Victor Jr. heads,Victor 5.8 intake,FTI cam,Crane retro fit lifters,Scorpian 1.6 RR's,Melling HV oil pump,MSD distro.,Canton oil pan,FMS flywheel,Romac balancer,FMS timing chain,Accufab 90mm TB,C&L 76mm maf, 42lbers,HD clutch,K&N air filter,Mac long tubes,Pro dumps,powerchamber,FMS 9mm wires,180 thermostat,Ford Racing gauges,5inch Tach,centerline convo pro's,nitto DR's,Pro3i lower control arms,50/50 shocks,3.55 gears,TFS HD diff. cover

Next year:

Tremec TKO,Spec stage 3 clutch,alum driveshaft,complete fuel system

www.angelfire.com/linux/demondan
Old 04-23-2003, 02:27 PM   #10
82 GT
Import Slayer

Thanks DEMON . I knew I heard of that before.
Chunkfunky , I think you totally misssed the entire point of painting the lifter gally.
Old 04-23-2003, 06:39 PM   #11
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

I understood why one would do it... but I just didnt think it was worth it. It's one of those gambles, is it worth getting wierd paint chips in your oil for the return of the oil to come down faster... I suppose if you have special paint designed for such a purpose it makes it more worth while.
-as
Old 04-23-2003, 09:11 PM   #12
DemonGT
Registered Member

you can go to eastwoodco.com and search Glyptal to find the product....gives a little more info....i wouldnt worry bout paint chips and stuff like that....im sure the ppl who made that stuff have already thought of that
'91 GT,410W,10.5 to 1 comp,Victor Jr. heads,Victor 5.8 intake,FTI cam,Crane retro fit lifters,Scorpian 1.6 RR's,Melling HV oil pump,MSD distro.,Canton oil pan,FMS flywheel,Romac balancer,FMS timing chain,Accufab 90mm TB,C&L 76mm maf, 42lbers,HD clutch,K&N air filter,Mac long tubes,Pro dumps,powerchamber,FMS 9mm wires,180 thermostat,Ford Racing gauges,5inch Tach,centerline convo pro's,nitto DR's,Pro3i lower control arms,50/50 shocks,3.55 gears,TFS HD diff. cover

Next year:

Old 04-24-2003, 10:25 AM   #13
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

Man, I think if you're thinking that a coating of paint is gonna help get the oil back to the pan faster you may be right, but so what? Think about it. How many times have you heard of someone saying, "Man, I blew up my motor because I didn't have painted surfaces on the lifter valley so the oil didn't run back to the pan fast enough!" ?????? NEVER. Engines are designed with oil supply in mind. When the engineers at ford decide what oil capacity to give the engine, they take into consideration the amount of oil that is going to accumulate in the lifter valley while the engine is running. An engine only has maybe a couple of quarts of oil actually being used to lubricate at any one time. Part of the reason that you have 5 quarts of oil in a motor is because some of it is going to accumulate on top of the heads and in the lifter valley. A little paint isn't going to magically force the oil back to the pan, it might make it run down quicker, but like I said, so what. So if you're just wanting to be able to say, "Yeah, I painted my lifter valley because it makes the oil flow back to the pan faster" That's your thing, but when you post a quote saying, "Man, I got paint chips in my oil sump screen and blew up my brand new motor" I'm gonna laugh and say I told you so. I mean honestly, ask anyone who's ever painted a block. Unless that thing is perfectly clean with no residue the paint isn't going to stick for ever. Sorry if I sound like I'm trying to knock you, but it seems foolish to me to put foreign objects into your engine on purpose. Anyway, do what you want man, that's my opinion, but it's your engine, and your money. Paint that sucker if you want.

1984 LX Hatch
306 w/ TRW forged flat toppers, Comp Cams Magnum 292H, GT40P heads w/ 3 angle valve job, .550 lift springs, Angus Racing Roller Rockers, Weiand Stealth Intake, Holley 4150 650cfm carb, MAC 1 5/8 Long Tubes, Single Chamber Flowmasters, 91' T5 w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, Turbo Coupe 8.8 Rear w/ 3.55 gears, QA1 Motorsports tubular K member, no interior except steering wheel and seat.
Coming soon: 6 or 8 point cage, Fuel Cell, Weld Draglites
Old 04-24-2003, 10:42 AM   #14
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

I hate thread wars and I dont think anyone is right or wrong.. though from a simple view of it all... it takes times and preperation to paint it and there's nothing wrong with that.. but I think the return on investment isnt worth it. Oil likes ot eat away at things... I pulled my stock distributer out this weekend and I was trying to pull off the O ring to replace it and it shattered into a million pieces. I dont think this paint is a rubber o ring or anything... but nothing last forever, and the inside of your engine is very HOT and nasty place to live.
-as
Old 04-24-2003, 03:06 PM   #15
86GT
Sniffed too much n20

Go ahead and paint it using the right stuff. You're not gonna lose anything by it, and only gain some extra oil flow.

IMO, spinning a High Volume pump robs some horsepower, so adding a windage tray would help, so would making the oil flow "free-er" through the engine. Makes sense to me.
Old 04-24-2003, 03:06 PM   #16
82 GT
Import Slayer

"Who cares if the oil gets back to the pan faster?" I don't know about you but I want my main/rod bearings lubricated as fast as the oil can get there.
I love my Fords but they do not have the best oiling system. That honor, I hate to admit, goes to Chevy....sad but true
I don't see you callingDEMON crazy for painting his lifter gally.
People use windage trays in their oil pans for better oil control but you don't have to use one. You see what I'm saying?
Every little bit helps.
I guess everytime you hear of someone blowing their engine you are going to say "You didn't paint your lifter gally..did you? It's probably why it blew up!! "
I'd also think twice about laughing at someone after their engine just blew uo too...for whatever caused it unless you have a magic crystal and can guarantee that you will never have car problems yourself for as long as you live.
FYI, I read that artical about painting lifter gallys in some performance book a while ago. Why the hell would they recommend doing that if it can cause damage?
I didn't pull that topic out of my ***hole.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:32 PM   #17
93 Cobra needs input
Registered Member

The worst part of these message boards is the battles back and forth sorry, but the post asked should I paint it?? QuantumMotorsports gave you his opinion and backed it up with some good reasoning If I had answered you it would have been very similar. Try searching around and see if anyone has painted their oil galleys and tore there engines apart 5 years later and still was in good shape (no flaking or dissolving) maybe the paint works great and never comes off. Just something I'm not willing to support and say it is a good idea to paint inside your motor.
331 stroker, JE 8.5:1 pistons, H-beam rods, steel crank, main cap, msd with 3step, BBK ceramic long tubes,TKO, 4.30's, motorsport Z303, Victor Jr aluminum heads, crane gold 1.6, southside lift bars, 90/10 front, 50/50 rear, centerforce dual friction clutch, Vortech S-trim soon.
Old 04-24-2003, 08:05 PM   #18
Mach 1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 82 GT
I love my Fords but they do not have the best oiling system.
actually, the windsor small blocks have an excellent oiling system.

Paint it if you want, but its not going to make any difference of note on a street motor.

sounds like you made up your mind to paint it already, so why even ask others opinions?
RHC member #142
Old 04-24-2003, 09:10 PM   #19
DemonGT
Registered Member

here is a few more pics

all i can say is..to each his own..if you wanna paint it..paint it..if you dont wanna sit there and worry bout it...dont paint it...but like 82 GT said "every little bit helps" ...just like why ppl put underdrive pulleys on there car..or a K&N filter...its not going to make your car go from 14 sec to 12 sec but it helps....

Next year:

Old 04-24-2003, 09:22 PM   #20
82 GT
Import Slayer

Quote:
Originally posted by Mach 1
actually, the windsor small blocks have an excellent oiling system.

Paint it if you want, but its not going to make any difference of note on a street motor.

sounds like you made up your mind to paint it already, so why even ask others opinions?
I didn't know weather or not I should paint it at first or not until I read Demon's reply and a coupe others on here.
I figured they can't all be stupid.
If I remember correct, I think SHAGGY paints all his lifter gallys. Why would he keep doing that if it did harm to the engine?
The only point we all agreed upon was not to use regular paint.
I found out it could be done as long as the proper materials are used.
So, yeah, I am going to paint it.

Last edited by 82 GT; 04-24-2003 at 09:28 PM..
Closed Thread