MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-31-2001, 05:45 PM   #1
fantozi
Registered Member

Question Myth or Fact - While breaking in a NEW motor dont use synthetic?

I just want to know if its a rumor or there is some fact to it. I have a new crate motor from FORD and it came with synthetic in it (FROM THE FACTORY). So when I see people say dont use synthetic when you break it in, it makes me wonder where they heard this from? Any help will be appreciated!!
fantozi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 05:51 PM   #2
Jeb_Bush_2000
Registered Member

Synthetic oil is too slippery to properly break in the rings and combustion chamber sleeves.

Jeb_Bush_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 09:32 PM   #3
over 40 five oh driver
Registered Member

Keith Craft recommends not running synthetic oil for first ... 5-10K miles?? Can't recall exactly, just that I ran synthetic a little early. Doesn't hurt anything as I recall, just takes the rings longer to seat perhaps. Much of it depends on what the rings are made of, brand etc. Best bet is go with engine builders recommendations! I happened to miss this from Keith Craft somehow, but again, mine still runs like a scalded dog! Just seems like it kept pulling stronger and stronger until about 5000 miles it leveled off...just subjective on my part. Good luck on the new motor though.

------------------
92'GT, Keith Craft Racing 306 (10.25:1 CR), PRO-M 80mm MAF,65MM TB, Edelbrock U/L intake,
TFS-TW heads milled/ported, CompCams XE274HR (.555/.565" lift w/1.6 rockers), A-351 adjustable roller rockers, 30# injectors,
Kirban FPR w/external pump, FRPP ceramic coated headers, Bassani X-pipe w/cats, Bassani cat back, Centerforce DF clutch/T.O. bearing...MSD 6AL w/MSD distributor, Steeda Tri axe, aluminum D/S, 3.73's, w/Factory Five U/L control arms. Lakewood 50/50 shocks. Steeda Front Drag swa
over 40 five oh driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2001, 04:31 AM   #4
MikeWeber
Registered Member

Give the engine at least 500 miles to allow seating of the rings and break in of the other rotating parts.
MikeWeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2001, 05:59 AM   #5
PKRWUD

Quote:
posted by Jeb_Bush_2000:
Synthetic oil is too slippery to properly break in the rings and combustion chamber sleeves.
I have never heard of "combustion chamber sleeves" before. Would you please enlighten me? Thanks!

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2001, 10:39 AM   #6
Jeb_Bush_2000
Registered Member

Dude, I was so roasted when I wrote that. I meant the walls. Y'know, the things the rings rub against?

Jeb_Bush_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2001, 12:43 PM   #7
PKRWUD

Right on. I was trying to figure out what I had missed there! Hope you feel okay this morning! Oh, wait, it's afternoon there now. I'll bet that damn sun is too bright, too! Hehe.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
Old 09-01-2001, 04:24 PM   #8
SlowStang2
Registered Member

Ya know whats funny, is that my motor just recently died from "oil starvation." And I had full synthetic oil in the engine!! The No. 1 piston was worn down along with other slight damages to the rest of the engine. Heh, the oil pump is in the front of the engine and the 1st piston goes bad?! Weird. I asked the "engine rebuilder" if maybe it was a faulty pump. He told me no and that the engine just didn't like the synthetic. Now I run SAE 30. Live and Learn! Of course, if anything, I thought synthetic helps keep parts more lubricated than conventional does...

------------------
94' Stang GT Convertible --Cobra upper&lower, GT-40Y Turbo Swirl aluminum heads, Mac cold air w/K&N, BBK equal length shorties, BBK offroad H-pipe, American Thunder cat-back, BBK T/B 65mm, 24lb injectors, Pro-77mm MAM, pulleys, aluminum driveshaft, 3.55s, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, adjustable fuel regulator 14.4@100 MPH on G-tech;96 at track. (Sad, i know. This is with the stock heads)
SlowStang2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2001, 05:50 PM   #9
PKRWUD

SlowStang2-

How many miles were on it when you started using synthetic oil in it?

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet