MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-18-2002, 12:08 PM   #1
90LxDroptop
Registered Member

Default t-5 vs. AOD

Well, I've pretty much decided on doing the t-5 swap. BORED with this AOD! I'm just wondering, if driven well (the T5) how much faster is the manual going to be than my AOD with a TransGo shift kit? thanx.
Old 05-18-2002, 12:34 PM   #2
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

If you can drive it right, a good bit faster. I'd say upwards of .5 - .7 seconds. The biggest problem you're gonna start seeing is traction problems and getting the hang of power shifting. I can pull a good many people on the street because (with decent tires), I don't have to worry about spinning. I can punch it and go....and go it will. If you haven't driven a stick Mustang in a while, it's gonna take some time to learn to launch the thing out of the hole. Also, no T-5 is gonna shift like a properly setup AOD, no matter the person at the helm. Drivers can't shift as fast nor as consistant.

With a proper gear and a torque converter, you could get there with the AOD, but I understand how you feel. Heck, I learned to drive on a stick, and I only bought this AOD car because it was too good to pass up. I've thought a couple of times about swapping out, but now that I've got basically a new tranny, I'll just "suffer" with my fun little AOD. When set up right they can sure get you your jollies .

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 12:48 PM   #3
sn95gt19
motors done......woohooo

id say the same .4-.7 tenths faster with a 5 speed, that is if you know how to drive it. people always say that aod's can be better if built right, but i think that the only time an aod is at an advantage is when your running 11.30's or faster, some people may think otherwise. thats just my 2 cents

95gt lazer red (98 cobra clone)
Rice Haters Club Member #116
sn95gt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 02:18 PM   #4
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Yeah, AOD's have the definate advantage if you've got enough power to spin 'em. For street use and track use, they can be built to run with five speeds. A valve body, gears, and a loose converter will almost get you there. The main thing with AOD's is the increased amount of rotating mass. A 9" converter helps to lessen this (an alumium shaft also helps) and the gearing allows the motor to get in the power band more quickly.

It takes money, but an AOD can be made to run with a T-5 if you've got the power. You're right however, in that for the most part if you've got two cars with identical power mods, the T-5 can be quicker than the modded AOD. But alot depends on the driver. Modded AOD's can have an advantage because driver error is taken away. All you gotta do is throw the lever and mash the pedal. With a stick, you've gotta learn how to launch, how to slip the clutch, and you've gotta make the correct shifter throws. That's what can make a daily driven moddified AOD quicker than a T-5....the driving element alone.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 06:30 PM   #5
Mach 1
Registered Member

The AOD can be made fun to drive like Nathan said, but to do it right costs some coin (good converter, valve body, shifter, gears, etc..) and the 5 speed will still be faster if driven by a good driver due to the AOD sucking up a lot more power to operate.

I enjoy the convience of the automatic and dont like to shift, so I modded my AOD and can live with it being a little slower than similar 5 speed cars. After all, there always someone faster, and it all comes down to how much coin you have. More coin, faster you can go.

Yeah, the AOD can still be boring at times, but when your stuck in traffic, it sure is nice then Just make sure you want a stick before you go through the expense of the swap. And dont waste your time swapping to a T-5, go straight to a Tremec.
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 01:04 AM   #6
90LxDroptop
Registered Member

Default thanx!

Thanx a lot for the input guys. I appreciate it. Mach 1, I would love to go to a Tremec but unfortunately I'm in high school and I don't make that much money. (toys R' us doesn't shower their employees with riches I guess...) so I'm probably gonna have to settle with a T-5. oh well. thanx again.
Old 05-19-2002, 04:48 AM   #7
Mach 1
Registered Member

I dont think a tremec is that much more? A few hundred maybe? Its worth it. Well, if your car isnt that strong a runner, I guess you dont need the Tremec, but its nice to do it right the first time and not worry about it again, especially if you plan to keep the car or make more power later.
RHC member #142
Old 05-20-2002, 01:02 AM   #8
Silver5.0
Registered Member

Well I'm still in high school too i'm a junior (11th) and I have 1991 GT and i'm lovng it with the new tranny it's the TCI street fighter w/ the manuel valvebody, it shifts extremely hard and handles pretty much everthing i've thrown at it so maybe think about building the aod first.
Silver5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 09:42 AM   #9
HOT-RUD
Registered Member

WHY NOT A C-4 CONVERSION CHEAP PARTS GREAT RESULTS PARTS ARE ALMOST HALF THE PRICE. IVE USED AOD LENTECH $$$$ C-4 CHEAP AND A VARIETY OF 5 SPEEDS
IT ALL COMES DOWN TO $$$
HOT-RUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 09:50 AM   #10
sn95gt19
motors done......woohooo

it sounds like a street driver to me-so with no overdrive i dont think that would be a good idea.

95gt lazer red (98 cobra clone)
Rice Haters Club Member #116
sn95gt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 10:19 AM   #11
Mach 1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HOT-RUD
WHY NOT A C-4 CONVERSION CHEAP PARTS GREAT RESULTS PARTS ARE ALMOST HALF THE PRICE. IVE USED AOD LENTECH $$$$ C-4 CHEAP AND A VARIETY OF 5 SPEEDS
IT ALL COMES DOWN TO $$$
Bad for cruising when you have steep gears in the back
RHC member #142