MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-18-2004, 08:37 PM   #1
Merlin76
Registered Member

Default T5 hard to shift after replacing bearing retainer

1994 GT T-5
Centerforce dual friction clutch
Centerforce throwout bearing
steel bearing retainer
aluminum clutch quadrant
firewall mounted adjuster

This is the second bearing retainer (steel) that I've had to put in this tranny since the first one came apart. The first time, I took the bell housing out with the tranny so I could replace the clutch also, but this time I only took out the tranny. Problem is, now I have a real hard time getting it into the gears...all of them. Once I do get it in gear, sometimes third gear will grind like I didn't push the clutch in all the way, and I've adjusted the clutch out far enough to know that it should be disengaged. Could the tranny just be out of alignment with the engine and clutch? If so, is there any special way it's supposed to be reinstalled or some trick to make sure it's lined up? Seems like there's not really any way of messing this part up. Or do I have other problems?
Thanks for any and all help you can provide.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:32 PM   #2
moosejaw
Registered Member

If you have a housing out of alignment, performing a runout test on the housing with reveal this. I know it is not as simple as "just pull out the tranny and check it" unless you are military in HI and can use the base hobby shop.

Use a magnetic base dial indicator attached to the fly wheel and check the runout of the round opening of the bell housing by turning over the engine by hand. Should be less than .005" runout.

You clearly have a large issue with clutch disengagement or input shaft hanging up in the pilot bearing or the clutch hanging on the input shaft splines (worn grooves and won't slide).

You did get the '94-95 imput bearing retainer, right?

Mike
Old 02-18-2004, 10:12 PM   #3
Merlin76
Registered Member

Mike,
I need to update my info because I recently moved from HI. I bought a house with a garage so, no prob taking it out again. Yes, I got the '94-95 retainer, which is the same one that I got the first time. I didn't have any problem out of that one for 9 months until it came apart. I'll have to do some reading and figure out what I need and how to do the "run out test" because I've never done this before. What makes me mad is that it wasn't doing this before I took it out. There wasn't anything visually wrong with the input shaft splines that I could see.
Do you think the bearing retainer could be off center a little bit and cause the clutch to drag a little? The only thing that lines that up is the four bolts that holds it. There aren't any guides or anything to make sure it's centered.
What do you think?
Thanks for your quick reply.
Steve
Old 02-19-2004, 12:38 AM   #4
moosejaw
Registered Member

Well the mainshaft snout helps align the input shaft. The way it rests on the main shaft there is a set of bearings that help align it and keep it axially aligned. The input retainer keeps preload on the main shaft and radial alignment.

Here is a manual for the T-5. It isn't that bad. Perhaps something was unintentionally moved when you replaced the retainer the first time. Look it over. Go to section 6 page 6. This is where the input shaft assembly is best viewed.

If something was lost it is recoverable. You can replace what was lost and reinstall it.
I work on alot of T-5's but I haven't seen everything. I hope we are on the right track.

Mike

Last edited by moosejaw; 02-19-2004 at 01:11 AM..
moosejaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 12:44 AM   #5
moosejaw
Registered Member

Could you detail how it failed? Do you have a photo? Could you send it or post it?

Mike
Old 02-19-2004, 08:24 AM   #6
Merlin76
Registered Member

Mike,
Thanks for the manual. I'll look it over and see if I did something wrong.
As far as the failed part, the steel sleeve simply slid out of the aluminum base. It's just pressed in and somehow pulled out.
I'll look over that manual today and this weekend and see what I can find out.
I'll keep this updated as I find things.
Thanks again
Steve
Old 02-19-2004, 10:38 AM   #7
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

Mike,
Thanks for the awesome link. Where is it from? (sorry \hijack)

J
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 09:58 PM   #8
moosejaw
Registered Member

It is on Tremec's web site. There are better manuals out there with good color pictures and better close-ups but this one is free.
Tremec website.

I think the sleeve may have pulled out because the Throw-out bearing galled to it and spun it out. Something along that line. Use some nickel or copper based anti-sieze on the sleeve next time to keep the throw-out from seizing.

I just installed the FRPP retainer in my G-Force T-5. Cross my fingers it doesn't pull out like that.

Mike
Old 02-20-2004, 10:22 PM   #9
Merlin76
Registered Member

Mike,
I think the throwout bearing did pull it out, a little at a time, but it wasn't hung up on it. I didn't have any problem getting the shaft out of the bearing. I do know that when I put it in the first time, I didn't put that much grease on it, so I think it may have eventually worked it out. I mean, it took nine months of driving to do it, which was a lot of miles.
As far as yours goes, I don't think you'll have this problem. I have a high confidence that this doesn't happen very often...this is one of those things that never happens...or at least not that you hear of.
I did some things today and I'll test drive it tomorrow. If it fixed it, I'll let you know.
Thanks for your help.
Steve