MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-28-2001, 10:57 PM   #1
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

Post HELP NO OIL PRESSURE!!!

what could cause my car to get no oil pressure from just putting my heads back on? i drove it earlier and i seem to remember the pressure was a little higher than normal and then tonight i drove it and the oil pressure needle was all the way at the bottom, also because of no oil pressure my rockers were making loud noise, i put a friends sending unit on and that didnt help, i also made sure the oil pump driveshaft was still there, what the hell is going on?

------------------
88 Notchback 5.0, 3.73's, Ported E7's, Explorer int. w/ ported lower, pulleys, Crane 1.7's, BBK headers, off-road H-pipe, flowmasters, subframe connectors, 65mm TB, shift kit, March ram air kit, motorsport wires, MSD coil, upper and lower control arms, 155lph fuel pump, cheap 2800 stall, Crane Adj.FPR, best time- 13.99@99.75, not yet tested times after rockers,intake or ported heads
fiveohpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2001, 12:43 AM   #2
fiveohpatrol

also i forgot to mention that there was a lot of coolant in the oil, thats why i changed the head gaskets, i changed the oil after i put everything back together too
Old 04-29-2001, 01:38 AM   #3
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Man, you are having a time with that car huh? I really feel for you man.

It could be a number of things causing the problem. It doesn't sound like a faulty sending unit or connection because of your rocker noise. It sounds like you actually lost oil pressure somehow.

Drain the oil again and use a cloth over the oil catch pan so you can catch any particles that may be in there. After you get the oil drained pour some deisel fuel in there with the drain plugs installed and try to slosh it around the best you can by rocking the car. Drain again using the cloth and see what comes out of there.

If you see anything that shouldn't be in there I'd say you better pull the engine and see what is up.

You didn't goop a bunch of RTV in there did you? If so and it got into the pan it will clog the pickup screen and do exactly what your car is doing. Maybe if you try cranking the oil pump backwards it will blow anything in the screen out of there, but I'm not sure if an oil pump will pump backwards. It's worth a shot. I'd try getting the pump going as fast as you can backwards. Do that before draining the oil. Then do it with the deisel in there.

I really hope this helps.

------------------
Too much to list. Best ET on the car so far with stock 2.73 gears - 13.73@102mph

Indiana Stangers Association
Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2001, 02:24 AM   #4
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Put a new oil filter on too. It may be something as simple as all the crud that was in your engine got into the filter and plugged it up.

------------------
Too much to list. Best ET on the car so far with stock 2.73 gears - 13.73@102mph

Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241

[This message has been edited by 2FastLX (edited 04-29-2001).]
Old 04-29-2001, 10:11 AM   #5
withamc
Registered Member

Don't give up on that car Drew. I had a lot of problems with mine before I finally got everything dialed in. Besides, that intake needs a home.
withamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2001, 01:07 PM   #6
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

I sent ya an email Drew. Don't fire that car back up. You could do some serious damage.

------------------

Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
Old 04-29-2001, 02:54 PM   #7
fiveohpatrol

well i didnt even need to use a drill to find out i have to pull my ******* engine, the pump shaft broke, i could spin the shaft freely with 2 fingers with a 1/4" socket taped to some extensions, so even MORE money goes into this damn thing, all started with a good deal on an intake, and problems ever since, but nooooo im not bitter!

------------------
88 Notchback 5.0, 3.73's, Ported E7's, Explorer int. w/ ported lower, pulleys, Crane 1.7's, BBK headers, off-road H-pipe, flowmasters, subframe connectors, 65mm TB, shift kit, March ram air kit, motorsport wires, MSD coil, upper and lower control arms, 155lph fuel pump, cheap 2800 stall, Crane Adj.FPR, best time- 13.99@99.75, not yet tested times after rockers,intake or ported heads
Old 04-29-2001, 05:46 PM   #8
gt93mustang
Registered Member

Just thought I would let ya know, you don't necessarily have to pull the engine to change oil pumps. You can loosen the motor mounts and jack the engine up high enough to get to it.
gt93mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 03:28 AM   #9
stangsrule
Registered Member

Yeah,gt93mustang is right you can do it without pulling the motor all the way out, it is still a major pain though... That's how I did mine. Good luck!

------------------
92GT all the free stuff and a few bolt-ons, lowered with Ebiach's and Koni's, Kenny Brown subframe connectors, lower G-brace and jacking rails. BBK upper and lower control arms, polyurethane bushings all around and Ken Bell blower, ram-air, 80mm mass air, etc.
stangsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 03:40 PM   #10
fiveohpatrol

can i jack the engine up without a hoist? maybe use 3/4" plywood on the oilpan and use a jack to get it up?
Old 05-01-2001, 10:34 AM   #11
David Fulford
Registered Member

Are you sure it broke. Maybe it just fell down into the oil pan when you pulled your distributor. That happend to me when I put my MSD on. I was able to just drop the Pan. Although I have 69 Mach 1. Can you not drop the pan on an 88. Just a thought.
David Fulford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 11:12 AM   #12
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Yeah Drew. Put something under your pan to keep it from getting dinged like a 2x4 or something. Then jack it up as high as you can. Once you get it up there wedge something between your block and motor mounts so you can remove the jack. All downhill from there.

------------------

Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
Old 05-01-2001, 12:05 PM   #13
fiveohpatrol

Tim convinced me to pull the engine anyway and make sure i didnt damage anything with so much coolant being in the oil and all. It is more work but I've already had to take this thing apart too many times and i dont wanna have to do it again, this time I'm making sure its gonna be ok.

------------------
Old 05-01-2001, 12:54 PM   #14
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Give me a call Drew or email me your phone number. I can prolly come help this weekend.

------------------

Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241