MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-22-2003, 08:18 PM   #1
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

Default TFS Valve Retainers: Need Help

OK, I bought my twisted wedge heads used from a some guy and he told me they needed springs, and that's fine, I received the heads and they are in great shape, but he had dissassembled them and he sent me all the parts, the valves, and retainers, though no locks... but whatever, that's easy enough to get... though in the box were 16 retainer looking things... though 8 of one type and 8 of another.. did TFS used different retainers for the intake and exhaust valves. Though these things seems odd to me, they dont look like retainers the way I'd think of them. can you guys let me know what these peices I have ARE... I've never actualy taken heads apart or put them together, I assumed it'd be easy enough but these parts confuse me.

the top row is the one type, bottom and top and the bottom row, is bottom and top of the other type, plus a little insert alone and inserted into the larger peice.

thanx guys
Old 02-22-2003, 10:00 PM   #2
Tamer
Registered Member

Sorry dude but my twisted wedge heads didnt look like those retainers as far as I can remember. they look just like the stock ones do. Intake and exhaust. the rotating ones are exhaust because when you get carbon buildup around the valve seat it will leak and burn the valves so they put a rotating retainer so that it will also clean the seat as it opens and closes
Tamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 07:55 AM   #3
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

so you mean the tops ones are the exhaust retainers?
I guess another question I have is... can I just reuse STOCK retainers and locks on teh TFS springs and valves?

-as

Last edited by ChunkFunky; 02-23-2003 at 06:40 PM..
ChunkFunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 11:39 AM   #4
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

I've pretty much determined that these arent retainers... unless its some wierd type Im not familiar with... but my question is.. what the heck are they?
-as
Old 02-24-2003, 11:22 PM   #5
mike72678
MW Link Sponsor

the exhaust retainer is designed to rotate , so whichever one feels like it can spin is the exhaust retainer , it looks like the top one to me .
mike72678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 01:36 AM   #6
Technick
Registered Member

These are the STOCK retainers for a STOCK 5.0 cylinder head. They should NOT!!! be used on a TFS head. They were just barely good enough for a STOCK application. Not to be used in a real performance setting. Not to be used with a spring that is stiffer than a STOCK spring. DO NOT USE!!! Call Trick Flow or get a hold of a vender of Trick Flow cylinder heads and they will get you the right retainer for your application.
Old 02-25-2003, 07:41 AM   #7
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

Those in the picture are stock retainers? fair enough, i was going to order a new set of retainers and locks anyway since these didnt look right.. but I didnt think they were even stock retainers..
-as
Old 02-25-2003, 10:19 PM   #8
Technick
Registered Member

It would be interesting to forward those pic's of the retainers to Trick Flow just to see what they say. As it is you should get a hold of Trick Flow anyway just be be sure that what you get is right for your application, after all they would make the right stuff for their own heads.
If you ever get a chance to pop a valve cover off of a stock 86-95 5.0 Mustang you will see that the valve spring retainers are exactly as the pic's that you have. I know I have worked on literaly hundred's of 5.0's from stock to modifing them for ultra high H.P. drag engines.