MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-21-2001, 02:10 PM   #1
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

Post This thing is pathetic.

I know this is a forum for Mustangs and their engines. I didn't want to post this in Blue Oval Lounge though.

I have a '86 Nissan 720 Hardbody pickup with a 2.4l Z24 engine (181k) and a 5-spd. The engine has all new electrical (distributor and cap, wires, plugs), new head gasket, and new alternator.

Here's the problem: When I floor it, it backfires, or something like backfiring, and ******* falls on it's face. It jolts around and shakes you to death. It's kind of funny, when no one is around, because the truck is such a pos, but it sucks when you're in the middle of traffic and a bunch of people see you. That makes you feel like a complete moron.

If I just gradually get on it, it will wrap up, it's not a rev limiter or anything like that. But no matter what gear, what speed, if I put it to the floor, it does this sh!t. This truck just needs to last about a year and a half. If it's going to cost a lot of money then screw it and I will deal with it. But if it was something fairly simple I'd like to get rid of it. Naturally.

Sorry about posting this here. I'd appreciate help though. Thanks everyone.

bs

------------------
Previously "BennyBoy"
'69 Coupe with 351W-I rolled it 8/8
Edelbrock RPM intake, Edelbrock RPM cam, Edelbrock 750 cfm carb, Hedman headers, 2 1/2" pipe, glasspacks, C4: shift kit, 9" Currie: Trac-Lok 3.70s, 290hp-stock heads

Starting Project "2ND COMING": 1969 Fastback

[This message has been edited by 6T9PONY (edited 10-21-2001).]
6T9PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2001, 06:39 PM   #2
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

If you can get Chris (aka PKRWUD) to reply here I bet he can help you.

------------------
Gunning for 12's!

Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2001, 08:50 PM   #3
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

Hey PKRHED, oh, whoops, excuse me, PKRWUD, help me! Haha. Just joking about the name man. I couldn't help myself. Just playin. But seriously.....know what's goin on with my Shitsan?

is it a fuel problem? It is 4WD also. Forgot about that, and has some kind of system called "Electro-injection." Ohh....my Shitsan is so fandancy...hehe.....

------------------
Previously "BennyBoy"
Edelbrock RPM intake, Edelbrock RPM cam, Edelbrock 750 cfm carb, Hedman headers, 2 1/2" pipe, glasspacks, C4: shift kit, 9" Currie: Trac-Lok 3.70s, 290hp-stock heads

Old 10-23-2001, 09:58 AM   #4
PKRWUD

Been away for a few days.

Does it have 8 sparkplugs? Those are a pain. Anyway, what have you checked? How's the timing? Have you checked the compression? Any codes?

Help me help you.

Take care,
-Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: Peckerwoods Pit Stop

My teams site: Jim Porter Racing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN.

[This message has been edited by PKRWUD (edited 10-23-2001).]
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 06:39 PM   #5
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

Hey PKRWUD, thanks for replying. Yeah, it does have 8 spark plugs. I wondered why it had those. What's up with that?

Haven't checked very much. In fact, nothing at all. Haha. Anyways...I bet the compression is good, because a new head gasket was just put on it a while back because there was bad compression.

I haven't checked the timing. Never worked with a sweet little engine like this one so I don't know how too.

Don't know about any codes either.

Thanks again for helping. Hope we (you, hehe) can figure it out, even if I don't fix it.

------------------
Previously "BennyBoy"

Old 10-25-2001, 01:14 AM   #6
PKRWUD

I really need more help from you. Try to pull the codes at least. Was this gradual or did it just start doing this one day? Also, is it a Z24 or a Z24i?

Take care,
-Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

Old 10-26-2001, 12:42 AM   #7
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

PKRWUD- Thank you for your help and interest. I really appreciate it. It's a little hard for me to supply you with a lot of information because I know jack about this truck. I just got it, actually it was 9/11 when we transferred the title.

It has done this ever since I got the truck. Not a gradual thing. Although at times it feels a little worse than at others.

I don't have access to a code puller. Know where I could? Or how you even do this?

The air cleaner just says "Z24". Then it has some bullcrap fancy name for a type of fuel injection, called "Electro-injection".

I found some numbers on that engine. I laughed pretty hard. It's rated at 106 bhp. Haha. That's like 80 or 85 net hp. Haha.

The trucks kind of growing on me though. After winter I'm going to take the topper shell off. That will improve the looks and dorkiness of it drastically.

------------------
Previously "BennyBoy"

Old 10-26-2001, 03:51 AM   #8
PKRWUD

Pull the seat out, and you will find the ECM on the passenger side floor. Unmount it, but DO NOT unplug it OR disconnect the battery. On the top side there will be a small hole through which you can see two small bulbs, one red and one green. On the side, there will be an on-off switch. With the key ON, turn the switch on the ECM on, and count the flashes from the two small bulbs. The red bulb represents the tens column, and the green bulb represents the ones column. For example, a code 24 would be displayed by the red bulb flashing twice, followed by the green bulb flashing 4 times. Pull and post all codes.

Take care,
-Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

Old 10-26-2001, 01:18 PM   #9
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

Thanks for yourhelp PKRWUD. I pulled out the seat this morning. We don't have school today so I read your post and about 5 minutes later I was out there pulling the seat out. Well, the only code was 2 reds, then 3 greens. So 23. I spent quite a while working on truck after I did that. The person that had the truck before me had a system in it, but he left all his wiring in it when he sold it to me. There were ******* gobs of wiring under the seats and under the dash. So I spent about a half hour rewiring stuff.

Another thing though, and this isn't as big of a deal as the engine problem. But the heater/AC doesn't work most of the time. I am just about positive it's wiring because sometimes if I slam the "Recirc/Fresh" lever back and forth it will come on. I don't really care about that though. I'm pretty sure it's wiring problems that they jacked up when he put in his system. Moron....

------------------
Previously "BennyBoy"

Old 10-29-2001, 12:16 AM   #10
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

PKRWUD......where aaaaaaaarrreeeee you?

------------------
Previously "BennyBoy"
Edelbrock RPM intake, Edelbrock RPM cam, Edelbrock 750 cfm carb, Hedman headers, 2 1/2" pipe, glasspacks, C4: shift kit, 9" Currie: Trac-Lok 3.70s, STOCK HEADS SUCK!
Old 10-29-2001, 12:37 AM   #11
93whitestng
Registered Member

Mine backfired real bad when i hooked my spark plug wires up in the wrong sequence,
just something easy to check.

------------------
93gt T-5
Mods:edelbrock heads,gt-40 upper&lower,f-303cam,65mm TB,75mm MAF,24#inj,190lph pump,msd6btm,powerdyne 6lbs supercharger,adj fuel press reg and guage,autometer monster tach with shift lite,drag springs with airbag,aluminum driveshaft,BBK unequal headers,h-pipe,2chamber flowmaster,subframe conn's,3.73 gears.Megabyte jr lower rear control arms,Offroad
H-pipe.Griffin aluminum radiator.Moser 31 spline axles, Auburn Pro unit.Weld Pro Star rims
93whitestng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2001, 02:35 AM   #12
PKRWUD

Sorry, we went racing this weekend to try out a few things before the last two points races of the season, and I've been busy. Your problem is a little item called the Throttle Valve Switch. Your engine is actually carburetted, and has a two barrel. The primary barrel does all the work until you want passing power, at which time the secondary barrel comes into play. It opens when the primary throttle valve is at 50 degrees open. At this point, it contacts a switch mounted to the inside of the same bracket the dashpot is mounted to, right next to where the throttle cable attaches. This switch tells the computer that you are requesting extra power, and compensates for it. Your switch is stuck open, telling the computer you never want to open the secondary, so when you do, it falls on it's face. Odds are, the switch is bad, and replacing it will solve your problem. However, it is possible that the wiring to the switch could be damaged. I would trace the wires to the switch and look for obvious damage. Finding none, replace the switch.

Take care,
-Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet