MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-02-2004, 08:54 PM   #1
RageGT
Registered Member

Default Think T-5 is dying?

Now it's worse, 2 out of 5 times it pops back out or grinds when I shift into 2nd gear. It's weird because it's never given any problem until last couple of weeks. I figured 3rd would be the first to go cause it's always chattered while in gear. I know it's probably not but is there anyway it could be in the linkage somewhere. This sucks really bad, just got a new clutch and cable kit a month ago. Thanks for any advise.
RageGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 01:15 AM   #2
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

Quote:
linkage somewhere
Although there is a slight possiblity of it being a bent shift fork, I highly doubt it.

My tranny (and my last one) does the exact same thing, and has been for over a year, and still holds up to 5000rpm launches on slicks and low 12second passes. So its nothing to lose sleep over... yet

The problem most likely lies in the synchro's in the tranny, and its not allowing 2nd gear to fully engage before you appy a load to it.

Try this, next time you go to up or downshift into 2nd gear, give it a little bit of throttle. Sort of like you are starting out in 1st gear and keeping it from dying. Slowly slide the clutch out while giving it some gas and see if that helps. You'll get used to it, and it won't be that big of a deal anymore.

OR you can do the right thing, and save yourself an expensive rebuild by getting a basic rebuild kit including all the seals, bearings and new synchro's for $130 or so

I haven't done mine yet, and I'm actually expecting it to blow. But I've got spare T5 that I'm going to put a G-force gear set in when that happens.

lemme know if giving it some gas helps it for now though...