MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-20-2001, 11:08 AM   #1
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Post Thinking about pulling the engine...how long should it take?

I'm thinking about pulling the engine to replace the bearings this season so I can take her down the track and get a timeslip. It'll be getting cold real soon so how long (in hours) should it take me to pull her out? I know it was a real pain in the a$$ to get it to fit just right so the shorty headers didn't rub the steering shaft. I actually had to shim the engine under the motor mounts to get it right. Also, what do you all think of getting a new (read..bigger) cam to take advantage of the 3500 stall speed? It's either that or I call it quits for this season, rent a garage, and prepare her for next year? I figure that I have about a month and a half before snowfall and the local track closes at the end of October.

------------------
Just need the sticker!

Red 1993 GT
1969 351 block w/393 stroker. Edlebrock Performer heads and Performer RPM EFI, FRPP 30lb injectors & Cartech fuel system. JMS chip & MSD ignition.
Dynamic Roller Myte C4, 8 pt cage, Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, adj. upper's, 3.73's, Koni rear shocks
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2001, 11:33 AM   #2
PKRWUD

Pulling engines is easy! It's putting them back in that takes a while. With a friend, you could have it on a stand in 3 hours. Allow yourself all day Saturday to pull and repair it, and give yourself all day Sunday to put it back in.

Should you??? That's your call. If it were me, I would have had that engine out the day I discovered the excessive endplay.

Just make sure you have an extra set of hands before you start. Buy him dinner and a 12 pack (NO beer until the job is finishedm though!!!)

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2001, 11:34 AM   #3
PKRWUD

Oh yeah, I almost forgot: If you're willing to buy it and put it in, HELL YES try another cam!

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
Old 09-20-2001, 09:59 PM   #4
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Hey Chris!

Well, the reason I took so long was because I didn't have a garage until last week to do the work in. Then with the attacks on NY I wasn't in the mood. But now hat I've been thinking about it I'd really like to get a good run down the track this year. I have the spare hands to help me, and I'm ready to do it. The cam was just a thought b/c I know the engine needs it. What do you think would be a good grind for the street? I don't mind a lumpy idle as long as it's streetable. I think you know what I'm looking for as far as a complete package. On a side note...Did you see the new issue of MM&FF yet? They say the Bullit is kinda weak and they have some GM Camaro SS crap doing 12's on radials?? I can' believe they got the upper hand on the 4.6's. I still like my one cam
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2001, 02:21 AM   #5
PKRWUD

Which cam is it? what are it's numbers?

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

Old 09-21-2001, 10:18 AM   #6
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Chris is right give about 2 good days to do it. I pulled mine last month to replace the oil pan gasket, had it out by myself in 3 hours and on the stand, cleaned everything, checked the internals and put it all back in and running the next day.

I am interested to see what numbers that 393 will put up.

Good Luck

------------------
Check Out My Site 91GT,Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60" port matched to a 1262,Anderson N-61,24#,76mm C&L,Full MAC, No A/C or PS or emissions, 12" K&N Filter,RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air,Ron Davis Radiator,Full Suspension, SPEC stage III clutch, Lakewood SFI bell, S&W 8pt "X" brace,JAZ seats,3:73's,Welds..etc,4:30's and 31 splines coming very soon!
[b]12.16 @ 113.5, 1.78 60ft..no traction in the 90 degree
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote