MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-18-2003, 02:55 PM   #1
MEDIK418
Registered Member

Default Transmission blues and another thang!

Well, I finally done it. The 89 has had some tranny problems for a while now and the weather was nice the other day so it's outta there. Actually, I pulled it so I can bite off a really big bullet and rebuild the thing. Wish me luck. I debated on the rebuild kit and decided to give Hanlon a call. The lady who answered the phone is one sharp piece of work. I almost asked her to accompany the kit to do the work. Anyway, the video promises to tell me everything there is to know about a T-5 so time will tell.

As a side note, I bought a 20 gallon parts washer and I was hoping someone could point me toward a good degreaser (non hydrocarbon based). I have what amounts to driveway degreaser in it and it doesn't really work that well. Is there anything I can get locally that works?
Thanks for the help.
1986 four-eyed LX coupe, 358 Cleveland, Tremec TKO600/centerforce clutch, dish cut Probe forged pistons, comp cams hyd.roller cam, .579/.588@224/230, Edel.performer, 670 holley street avenger, CPR custom built long tubes, ported and polished 4bbl heads, manley valves, beehive springs, MSD peo-billet dist/MSD6AL, fluidamper, 5 lug conv. with 17x8 bullits there's more but it's still not finished yet.
Oh, and the oldest boy is turning his 89 GT into a FFR cobra this next summer.
MEDIK418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 06:48 PM   #2
sn95gt19
motors done......woohooo

i got the tremec video form hanlon, it was step by step. my first time it took me about an hour taking it apart and the same putting it together. its a really great video for the first time do it your selfer.

95gt lazer red (98 cobra clone)
Rice Haters Club Member #116
sn95gt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 06:59 PM   #3
MEDIK418
Registered Member

I certainly hope so. If this thing works, I told the younger boy I'd do his too if he pulled the thing. My oldest son, the owner of the 89 wanted a new Tremec but Marine pay might make that a long wait for now. He won't need the car for a couple of months if at all and I'm hoping I can surprise him. Hopefully, I won't have to give him a sob story instead. I'd look funny with a T-5 stuck up my . . . . never mind.
1986 four-eyed LX coupe, 358 Cleveland, Tremec TKO600/centerforce clutch, dish cut Probe forged pistons, comp cams hyd.roller cam, .579/.588@224/230, Edel.performer, 670 holley street avenger, CPR custom built long tubes, ported and polished 4bbl heads, manley valves, beehive springs, MSD peo-billet dist/MSD6AL, fluidamper, 5 lug conv. with 17x8 bullits there's more but it's still not finished yet.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:57 PM   #4
richd
Registered Member

Good choice...I used Hanlon back in August to rebuild my T-5. I spent about 3 weeks on it... wound up driving to Hanlon (I'm less than 2 hours away) and showing Bob my disassembled transmission. He looked at it and said "this is shot, need a new one of these..." Altogether I wound up buying a full WC rebuild kit, steel retainer, 1-2-R slider, an 068 2nd-2rd-cluster kit, input shaft and swapping my existing 3rd for a better 5th. Final sum was about $700 but I had to, the fluid was leaking out the rear seal which killed the main gear (input to cluster).

As far as cleaning, I used generous amounts of carb cleaner. Carb cleaner is ok for the internals as they don't get very dirty but for the external you wind up using way too much of it.

You'll have no problem finishing it...even with parts delays you shouldn't need more than a few weeks. Oh...make sure you have access to a shop press. Those bearings are a pain to get off without one! And save the old races, they're good for installing the new bearings. If you'd rather just buy a press, harborfreight.com has a cheap one for about 75 dollars or so.

Good luck and sorry for babbling,

Rich D.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 01:27 PM   #5
sn95gt19
motors done......woohooo

i ended up spending over $400 on my tremec.....1-2 slider, 3-4 slider, pads, 3rd gear assy, 1-2 and 3-4 shift forks. needless to say, never power shift a trans without a short throw
the trans was brand new with about 3000 miles on it

95gt lazer red (98 cobra clone)
Rice Haters Club Member #116
sn95gt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 01:09 AM   #6
MEDIK418
Registered Member

The plant where I work has a 40,000 sq. ft shop and I've seen lots of bearing presses AND. . it's all mine at night so I should be good to go there. The tranny is still working, just getting cantankerous lately so I'm hoping for the best. If not, I still have till the end of Feb or so before he needs it. I got this stuff called Greased Lightening for the ole parts washer and it's an alkaline based solvent. Big mistake. I tried an old transmission housing in it overnight and it cleaned it real good. But it turned the aluminum BLACK. Ii think it'll be great for engine pieces parts but I am thinking the transmission will get something else to bathe in. THanks for the replies. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress (or regress)