MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-26-2001, 08:14 AM   #1
Coupe Devil

Post Timing a carb motor?

Everyone on here says to time the motor at 14 degrees. All the posts are from you guys with EFI motors, does this also apply to a carb motor. I am staying awayfrom the EFI in my project vehicle (still unsure whats it's gonna be), but I want to get the best performance possible with the carb. Is it a good idea to set the timing at 14 d. or something different.Thanks

------------------
'93 lx 4 banger, wrecked '90 lx 5.0, w/ t-5. .030 over fully ported and polihed (did that just to see if I could-first attempt at it).

Cocked, locked and ready to rock

Pony Power Forever
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 10:41 AM   #2
PKRWUD

It really doesn't matter what kind of induction system you have, for optimum performance, you want the ignition timing advanced as far as you can without detonation. All engines are different, and there is no "always right' setting. I've known 5.0's who could get 18 degrees on pump gas and other 5.0's who pinged running 92 octane and 12 degrees advance. The bottom line is you are going to have to experiment with it. Start at 14 degrees, and take it for a couple hard runs. If it doesn't ping, advance it 2 more degrees. Keep doing this until it pings and back it off a degreee.

Have fun!

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 02:29 PM   #3
ronaconda
Registered Member

Keep in mind that if you are gonna advance the timing that you go with the highest octane gas that you can get to help against pinging. 93 octane should work if you are going to advance it around 14 degrees.
ronaconda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 02:45 PM   #4
FordFasteR
Registered Member

Carb is the way to go, its easy to tune, it flows awesome for the price of good flowing parts.. (victor jr intake is under $250, and can match/outflow almost any efi intake, dont even mention porting it)

also, my recommendation for the timing, set it this way..

REMOVE the vacume advance hose from the carb. and cap it. loosen the distributor bolt slightly, just enough to let you spin it with a little resistance..
get your timing light, and then have a friend rev the motor to 3000 rpms or 4000 rpms(hold it steady!), depending on where you want the most timing.. then, look at the damper marks, set it to 36 degreezzz. then, lock down the distributor bolt !

thats it !! perfect timing advace is not determined by the INITIAL timing, but rather, the TOTAL timing !! dont be fooled, this is the RIGHT way to set your timing on a carb car ! also, efi doesnt apply to that, because the computer is always changing the timing curve cuz of the sensors and all that crap.. carbs dont have any of those fuel infection gizmos.

Ford !

------------------
5.0L 89 LX coupe
4.10 gears, CARB !!!
IM me at FORDFASTER
FordFasteR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 03:17 PM   #5
juiceman
Registered Member

fordfaster is correct. however, you do not want the highest possible timing . for that matter, bump it to 20 intial and run 114 octane. you set timing to give you the best performance. higher for more low end and lower for top end. there are too many variables involved such as vac., cam design, heads, etc. watch your timing curve and set it to where you get the best mph. or hp.
juiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 03:35 PM   #6
Coupe Devil

I will be using a mec. advance MSD distributor, e-303 cam and factory heads, portmatched Performer Air gap intake and 650 or 700 carb. What do you consider 114 octane, I've always heard it called (CAM-2). I can get it but their is no station within about 100 miles from me. 93 octane and octane boost is about all I can handle.

------------------
'93 lx 4 banger, wrecked '90 lx 5.0, w/ t-5. .030 over fully ported and polihed (did that just to see if I could-first attempt at it).

Cocked, locked and ready to rock

Pony Power Forever
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 09:00 PM   #7
juiceman
Registered Member

yes, 114 is cam-2 but you should not use it in your car. it will not help. with your setup a 650 dp is the biggest you can go. a 600 dp would be best. dont try to run the highest timing you can. instead start out with 13 initial or 36 advanced. that motor will want to rev. you dont always want high timing with high reving motors. instead you want less timing so you can make the power up top. unless you use a timing retard box.
no motor is exactly alike. so basically, no matter what anyone tells you you will need to experiment with your motor.
juiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2001, 12:10 AM   #8
429AL
Registered Member

On my 85, E cam ( cam advanced 4 deg.) msd dist. it worked best at 16 deg. initial and 36 total. I had the 20 deg. limiter in the dist. This cam with tw heads, 600 cfm carb. performer intake, .060 over 302, mac exaust did not make a lot of low end power, at about 3500 look out, pulled strong to 6000. i have changed cams to crower .218/.224 dur.@ .050 and .468/.480 lift, this cam is a little better.

------------------
Stock 89 GT with 147000 miles,but not for long. Now with 3.73`s, soon 306 from 85 install.
429AL is offline   Reply With Quote