MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-06-2003, 12:29 AM   #1
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Default Timing Question

I set have been playing with my timing at the track and noticed something strange. No matter what I set my bast timing at, when I plug the spout connector back in, it always goes up to 22*. I even set it at 20* base to see what would happen and got the same results. Is this normal? If so, what is the point of changing your base timing if the total goes to the same place no matter what? I am just curious. Thanks for the answers.
Caymon
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 01:52 AM   #2
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Default Re: Timing Question

Quote:
Originally posted by bigred90gt
No matter what I set my bast timing at, when I plug the spout connector back in, it always goes up to 22*.Caymon
Aren't computers marvalous
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 02:42 AM   #3
The Deuce
Registered Member

All that means is you have too much advance. The computer is limiting total advance based on some percevied detonation in the curve.

I think. I know my car will reset itself if I overadvance the timing, but I don't even have a distributor. What happens to total advance if you leave it the SPOUT off?

Also, try setting your timing by using total advance rather than base, and see what happens.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 11:39 AM   #4
sn95gt19
motors done......woohooo

duece is right, total timing is what matters. when you advance base timing, your going to end up "around" where you want to be. but if you want to do it right go by your total timing

95gt lazer red (98 cobra clone)
Rice Haters Club Member #116
sn95gt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 12:30 PM   #5
saltzstang
Registered Member

Yeah what he said (sn95gt).......ive heard of guys leaving the spout out and bolting the timming down to 34 deg...some people said great results at track(track only of course) but I talked with Dom(an EEC-Brain) over at Rff Performance and he said that, that would do no good.
AFR 1492 heads,Track Heat Intake, d.s.s super pro bullet 331, lakewood bell, king cobra, 3550 ,UPR shifter, aluminum shaft, 4.10, 31-spline, spool,hoosier27x10, moroso ds-2, 175-juice, egt...11.40 on motor spray pass coming.
saltzstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 01:31 PM   #6
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Quote:
Originally posted by sn95gt19
duece is right, total timing is what matters. when you advance base timing, your going to end up "around" where you want to be. but if you want to do it right go by your total timing
Ok unless i'm reading this wrong, this kinda blows my knowledge of car computer control (which i'll admit is very limited at best) out of the water ? I thought base timing on a computer controled vehicle just put timing in the center of the computers range? another words, the computer can move the timing either direction say 10 degrees (example only)... When you set base timing you're just centering it so the puter has plenty of room to swing it where it wants it? So as an example you set the timing at 10 degrees, then you put the spout connector back in and the computer checks conditions and thinks the timing needs to be at 15 degrees, so it swings it to 15 degrees? No matter what you do with base timing, as long as the computer has enough range it will still swing it up to 15 if thats where it thinks it needs to be ???? Am i completely off base on how computer ignition control works ?
Old 01-06-2003, 07:54 PM   #7
PKRWUD

You are very close. The ECM is permitted to advance the timing x amount of degrees above base. The higher you set the base, the higher the advance will become upon acceleration. At idle, the ECM places the timing at the point where the feedback it get's from the barious sensors is in line with what it's programmed to be. It doesn't know that idle is usually 22 degrees, because it may not be. Higher elevations weather, etc. can all factor in to it. But, as you accelerate, it will advance the timing to it's programmed limit above base. So, if you set the base 4 degrees higher than it normally is at, then it will advance 4 degrees farther than it normally would.
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 02:10 AM   #8
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD
So, if you set the base 4 degrees higher than it normally is at, then it will advance 4 degrees farther than it normally would.
Ok that makes sense ... you learn somethin new everyday