MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-23-2006, 06:15 PM   #1
DaLe five OH!
Registered Member

Question tips?

I have recently taken my notch to the 8th mile track near me and I ran 10.5 on street tires and a full coustom exhaust and a k&n air filter, and a B&M shift kit for my auto tranny...is my et good for that kind of set up? are there any tips you guys can give me to lower my et without buying any parts at this time?my income at this time doesnt permit it as im only 17
DaLe five OH! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 07:57 PM   #2
rwhite65
Ride Hard

Default Re: tips?

If you want people to be able to tell you how you did, we are gonna need to know you mph and 60 ft times also.

Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:18 AM   #3
DaLe five OH!
Registered Member

my mph was 69.09...60ft was 2.5 sec...and my reaction time was a molassis like 1.11... it was on the 8th..and i wasnt really used to the car at the time...i did a burn out in the water box on street tires...should i or shouldnt i do that next time...
Old 12-03-2006, 01:08 AM   #4
rwhite65
Ride Hard

I am not great with the 1/8 mile, most my experience is with quarter times. But I will give you what I see, and hopefully some of the track regulars will take over from there.

A 2.5 60ft is no good, and that is killing your times right there. Is your car only spinning one tire? Also, most will tell you to avoid the water box all together, and just do a small (dry) burn out to clean them off before your run. Don’t feel bad, I did the same thing at the track when I was 17.

Get a better reaction time to go with better 60 ft times, and I think you will be surprised at the times you get then (especially compared to the current times).

Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 08:46 PM   #5
DaLe five OH!
Registered Member

ya I have the disease of being young and stupid no both tires are spinning when i burn out...i dont spin out at all when i take off...i think i might be, i'll have my freind watch next time...anyways...i'll try the small dry burn out next time i go to the track, i'm a little more used to the car now so hopefully i'll run better times.. i'll be buying a BBK fenderwell intake and a 65mm t/b, yeah i know i said i couldnt buy parts but i just got a raise so... you think i could get in the 9's with that?
Old 12-04-2006, 02:47 PM   #6
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Thats about a 16.40 in the 1/4 mile. With a good 60ft you have a high 15 second car.

I wouldnt waste money on a TB or a CAI if I were you. Just keep saving till you can buy some real HP parts. Intake/Heads/Cam etc...
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 03:54 PM   #7
DaLe five OH!
Registered Member

well i kind of have to get a new CAI because the other one i have is well...the person that rigged the old one up was very imagenitve...
Old 12-04-2006, 08:16 PM   #8
Rev
Registered Member

The slow reaction time really doesn't affect the et, 60' time, or the mph. It only hurts you when you're actually racing another car. A 1.1 second reaction time is just like giving the other driver a 1 second head start. Your reaction time will improve with practice. Try to nail it as soon as you see that 3rd yellow light.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:37 PM   #9
DaLe five OH!
Registered Member

i made a few more runs and the fastest time was 10.1 @ 72.37 and i have to say i'm completely hooked on the drag strip!!! my 60ft times were 2.3 and reaction was 1.19....i did a lil better than my last run i posted on here...i know i can break into the high HIGH 9's if i get a new air filter cuz i still have a the dirty one on there...what else do you guys think i could do on a limited budget? and when i mean limited i mean like razor thin...i wanna change my gears seeing i have a auto... but i dont wanna shell out the $$ to have them installed cuz i know for a fact its gonna cost an arm and a leg to have them done...i would do them myself but i'm not that mechanically incline yet...how much do you guys think it would cost to have a shop do a gear install or will they at all?
Old 01-22-2007, 12:58 AM   #10
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaLe five OH!
i made a few more runs and the fastest time was 10.1 @ 72.37 and i have to say i'm completely hooked on the drag strip!!! my 60ft times were 2.3 and reaction was 1.19....i did a lil better than my last run i posted on here...i know i can break into the high HIGH 9's if i get a new air filter cuz i still have a the dirty one on there...what else do you guys think i could do on a limited budget? and when i mean limited i mean like razor thin...i wanna change my gears seeing i have a auto... but i dont wanna shell out the $$ to have them installed cuz i know for a fact its gonna cost an arm and a leg to have them done...i would do them myself but i'm not that mechanically incline yet...how much do you guys think it would cost to have a shop do a gear install or will they at all?
Just look around there are usually some guys that will do it on the side for 100 bux or so.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:34 PM   #11
USMC302
Registered Member

Adjust your timing, do a good tune up, check your TPS. Do a search on here if you've never checked or adjusted timing before. not too hard and you can get a timing light at your local parts store. The higher octane you use in your local town, the higher timing you can run. Practice, practice!
Old 01-31-2007, 09:49 PM   #12
88workcar
Registered Member

DO NOT BUY THE TB. Tune up, wires, plugs, rotor, cap, air and fuel filter. Look for a set of old rims, the old 10 holes are great. Then look for a set of USED drag tires for TRACK USE ONLY. Those will be almost free. Advance your timing as USMC said. I have a cam, so do many others on here. If You can find a set of stock ported heads, or get yours done, then a cam would be a nice accent also. Most of all SAVE YOUR MONEY, AND BE PATIENT
To be old and wise, You must first be young and stupid I'm somewhere in tthe middle.
88workcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:38 AM   #13
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaLe five OH! View Post
ya I have the disease of being young and stupid
"In order to be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid."

I'm somewhere in the middle. LMAO

So far everyone is giving you good advice. It's all about traction and weight transfer. Better gears will get it done quicker, but like already said reaction time doesn't come into play until you're racing.

Another OLD trick we used to do is put standard shift pulleys on the automatic cars. Not sure if there's still a difference, but back in the 80's there sure was. Standard shift cars came with a slight "underdrive" compared to the autos.

Are you shifting manually, or just throwing it in "D" for DRAG? Try shifting manually, and playing around with shift points. You'll be surprised how much shifting sooner/later will change your ET.

Rear tire pressure, drop it down a bit when you get to the track. Make sure they have air at the strip FIRST, so you can air them back up for the ride home.

There's some "no budget" tips for now, I'm SURE we'll come up with some more once we think about it a bit.

Good luck!!!

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote