MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-05-2001, 01:45 AM   #1
95 King GT
Registered Member

Post Tips or No Tips?

I'm thinking about putting on some 3.5 in. tips on my exaust. do you think it would sound better? my friend gave them to me . what kind of sound difference will it make?
95 King GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 05:43 AM   #2
Chris_H
Registered Member

I don't know about anybody else on here, but I don't see that looking too good on any car. 3.5" tips is a pretty big tip to have sticking out the back end of your car. Reminds me of some old beatup trucks that I have seen that can be heard 2 miles away. I don't see where they would sound all that different, but I may be wrong in that area. Just never saw a Mustang with that big of a tip. But to each his own. People may not like what you do to the car, but so long as you like it, more power to ya!

Chris
Chris_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 09:15 AM   #3
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

I would say those tips are a bit to much for a mustang. But hey, its your car. Hold'em up there and see what you think about them first.

------------------
347 Stroker Motor: Balanced, Cobra Transmission, Extrude Ported and Polished Upper and ported Lower, GT40 Milled Ported and Polished Heads, B303 Cam, BBK 1 5/8 Headers, 30lb Bosch Injectors, Holley AFPR, March Underdrive Pulleys, Perma-Cool Fan, 3-Core Radiator, Accel Performance Coil, Accel 300+ Racing Wires, Ram Air, K&N Filter, 73mm Vortech MAF, 70mm TB, FlowMaster Exhaust w/BBK Offroad H-Pipe, Hurst Shifter, 3:55 Gears, Ram Clutch, Cross Drilled Rotors, AC and Smog del, rear seat del.
Smokedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 09:41 AM   #4
ronny50
Registered Member

Don't do it man!

Next you might be putting stickers on your car. j/k

------------------
1990 GT 5k Original miles!!
Ripper,Pullies,73 MM C&l Mass Air,8mm Wires,Piaa Headlights,MAC Cold Air (Fender)
ronny50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 01:25 PM   #5
dinomite
The Dude

it won't do much to the sound, but i think it would look really stupid.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2001, 12:47 AM   #6
blueneonman1
Registered Member

Hey now...I have 3.5" tips on my '95 GT convertible. I have chrome ones and I love them. Nobody says anything bad about them. They make my mustang with hollow cats sound a bit lower note than others with 2.5" tips. Paticularly when it backfires, it sounds like a cannon instead of a rifle.

------------------
Blueneonman - '95 5.0L Mustang GT Convertible | K&N Custom Cold Air Intake | FMS 9mm Wires | Hollow Cats | Flowmaster 2 Chambers | BBK Subframes | 6-pt Rollcage | King Cobra Clutch | FMS Adjustable Clutch Cable | B&M Short Throw | Coolest Neon Lighting on a Mustang EVER!

Homepage: http://www16.brinkster.com/blueneonman/
blueneonman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2001, 02:35 AM   #7
da89cup
Registered Member

Thumbs up

I have an 89 coupe & I put 4" pipes on mine & I love them. Nobody said anything bad about them either, & it did make my car sound better. They are 24" long, you need the length so that when you look at your car from the side, you can't see the tiny stock pipes welded to the 3.5" pipes. After installing the 4" pipes, I can't believe how small the stock pipes are, they should at least be 3" in diameter. Good luck with you car.

------------------
89 coupe, 351W, 351W heads, 30lb injectors, 190lph pump, 80 maf, 70 tb, ? cam, cobra upper, gt 40 lower(14.6at95mph)
da89cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2001, 06:05 PM   #8
fordgasm
Registered Member

Too ricey for my tastes...but, what ever floats your boat...

------------------
fordgasm
CLICK HERE to see my 87 GT
fordgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2001, 04:08 AM   #9
84stangLX

I personally don't like the hollow sound tips like that make, kind of a resonated muffled noise. Are you talking about tailpipes that expand out to 3.5" or just tips you can buy in any "performance" isle in the local auto parts store....doesn't really matter, my $.02 is that it won't sound good either way. The add on tips make it sound raspy like a rice rocket but with a lower tone. and the bigger tailpipes, as stated make more of a hollow resonant sound. I should actually be the last one talking about this since I intentionally put GT pipes on my LX just because i didn't want the hollow noise or chrome look (i could of gotten the chrome LX pipes for like $40 more for both), but do whatever makes you happy since it is, after all, your car.

------------------
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
My car

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: