MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Windsor Power (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Tire Pressure for a 33-14.5x15 M/T Drag slick (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=42236)

tarmon8r 03-31-2004 05:08 PM

Tire Pressure for a 33-14.5x15 M/T Drag slick

what is the recommended tire pressure for these tires on a 2300 pound chassis car? Friend has them at 7.5 psi and running 5.401 at 127mph in 1/8 mile with 1.16 short times. I always thought you ran a little higher tire pressure than that, but as you can see, he hooks up at the track. thanks in advance.

Dark_5.0 03-31-2004 05:11 PM

That is a hell of a tire and I am not qualified to give an answer to your question, but with a 1.16 60ft he is doing something right;)

tarmon8r 03-31-2004 05:19 PM

I was trying to find a drag racing forum here, but hoped some experienced racers could give there vaulable advice.

Dark_5.0 03-31-2004 05:29 PM

His car has to be tubbed I would think to run that size of a tire and I cant think of anyone off of the top of my head that has a tubbed car on here.

Hopefully someone who knows more about this than me will chime in.

420nitro 03-31-2004 07:50 PM

Re: Tire Pressure for a 33-14.5x15 M/T Drag slick

Quote:

Originally posted by tarmon8r
what is the recommended tire pressure for these tires on a 2300 pound chassis car? Friend has them at 7.5 psi and running 5.401 at 127mph in 1/8 mile with 1.16 short times. I always thought you ran a little higher tire pressure than that, but as you can see, he hooks up at the track. thanks in advance.
The people I know running that size tire generally run with 5-8 psi. The more air you can put in it with traction is the ideal thing. It's like running with the smallest slick you can get away with.
(I assume he/she is running a bias ply tire and not the radial drag slick)
Later

420nitro 03-31-2004 07:53 PM

Curious...I have a friend which runs 5.0's-5.10 on a 10 wide tire. His slicks only last him about 20 passes before his 60 foot times suffer. Tires are still good on a slower car, just not his speed and power level. Your friend with this tube chassis car...(I assume) does his tires last past 20 passes or does he have the same issues????
I am kinda doing some reserch to avoid that costley problem.
Thanks

RPM427 03-31-2004 11:45 PM

Tire pressure really depends on your suspension setup, track temp and even driver style. Ussaully the harder you hook on a given set of tires, (assumming no slippage) the faster they will wear out.

I am in the process of "mini-tubbing" my 93. If anyone has questions about it, feel free to ask.

tarmon8r 04-01-2004 05:26 PM

My friend is putting on new slicks this weekend, i think he said his last set he bought was in July of last year, and he said he got about 250 passes on it. Granted most of the passes were last season running 5.70's @ 118 mph with 1.24 short time, New motor and smalll shot of nitrous for this season has produced those times i quoted before.

btw, can anyone offer some reference material for making up a sponsorship proposal? websites or has anyone made one up or have one that i can glimpse for reference sakes? Thanks in advance. Most sites that come up on a search just offer to make the proposals for a price. Again, thanks in advance.

Ron1 04-01-2004 07:57 PM

Tire pressure he is running is about right. Also has a lot to do with whether or not he is running a inner tube. I run anywhere from 8-10 pounds. I can't figure why you would even ask the question here? I'd be asking the guys at the track what they were running. With those times I would think he would be very happy. I would post it on http://www.hardcore50.com/ That's where most of the Pro 5.0 guys hang out. Or go to www.prestage.com 5.40's and 5.70's? I mean we are talking mid 8's in the 1/4 mile. They are obviously licensed NHRA drivers. It takes years and big $$$ to get into those classes.

Not trying to flame here...just wondering.

Ron

tarmon8r 04-01-2004 08:06 PM

My friend, Todd, has a pro mod chassis camaro, certified to go 7.50's, 25.1 C i believe, IHRA liscensed, running at a local drag strip, running foot brake!!! The car has a small block 408 with 175 plate running 5.40's and hoping to qualifiy for IHRA Topsportman at the local region. I freely admit i know nothing about actuall drag racing. I was only trying to clear a concern in my mind, that i heard you ran slicks around 15 psi for a mustang as a starting point. Never heard run as low as 7.5 psi, hence the orginal reason for the thread.

Ron1 04-01-2004 10:01 PM

Ah. OK. One thing to keep in mind that heat expands the air in the tire. It's not unusual to put in 10 pounds, and check after a pass and have it read 12 pounds. I normally have to deflate the slicks about 4 or 5 times during a 1 day meet. Of course when they cool in the garage, they drop to 3 pounds.

Ron