MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-22-2002, 08:49 AM   #1
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Default Tokico vs KYB and Koni?

hey all!

I'm sick of running my ORGINIAL shocks from 94 (all blown) and struts, and was looking around at some aftermarket replacements. Although I want my car to be more of a corner carver than a straight line beast, I really don't need to be up to SCCA specs or anything....if I want to see some nice twisties I'll take the Ninja!

What I need to know is the ride/performance difference between non-adjustable, 5 ways, and 12 ways. Do I need em?? And considering the sizeable price difference between the adjustable KYBs and Tokicos, is the performance worth the higher price for the Tokicos?

I'd like to hear your experiences, because this is the first time I've ever replaced them, and truthfully have no idea what I am doing. I have such bad wheel hop after running my Eibachs with the stock, aged shocks and struts and the 315s with no quad shocks, I'm hoping replacements will cure most of it until I get her some LCAs.

Thanks for your help! Belle
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 10:13 AM   #2
jetuomi
Registered Member

hey, my friend put tokico blues (non-adjustable) all the way around w/ H&R sport springs, and what a difference.. Stiffer, better over bumps, (less side to side motion) and better cornering.

I put Eibach sportlines on w/ Tokico rear shocks (non-adjustable), and the rear is now much better, I used to bottom out with the stock shocks, but not anymore, the rear is firm.. But I still have the stock struts up front, which are a bit worn, but are still good enough, it'll corner WAY better once new struts are in, I was planning on going with Tokico again...

I have no complaints with them..
jetuomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 10:17 AM   #3
Tim89LXvert
Registered Member

The KYB is basically a small step up in performance from stock. If you are keeping your stock springs, they should be fine.

If you plan on going to higher rate springs, you should definately look at some Konis or Tocikos.

Both are good quality parts, and the non-adjustable Tocikos should do well with aftermarket springs for about $300 for the set. These would be fine for a street driven car.
Engine: GT40 al. heads, Cobra intake, TFS cam, 1.7RR, etc.... LOLDrivetrain: SPEC II clutch & FMS Billet flywheel, Pro 5.0 shifter w/Cobra knob and aluminum driveshaft through 3.73:1 gears.Chassis: 4 wheel disk w/Cobra front brakes, GT rears and 2001 "Bullitt" wheels
Rear: MM adjustable LCAs with Griggs springs, KYB shocks. Front: Koni red struts, FMS "C" springs and full poly bushings. Full length MM sub frame connectors, steeda 2pt. K-brace.Misc.: 130a alt. upgrade, R134a conversion.
Photos of my car
Tim89LXvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 10:52 AM   #4
89 Cobra LX
Don Corlione

I'm running the Eibach pro-kit and KYB non-adjustable shocks and struts. I went the KYBs because of their price.

I really like how my car drives now, it's very tight. It used to feel like a dump-truck. When I picked-up my car after getting all of the work done at HPMotorsport, the guy that does all of the test drives mentioned that it was one of the rougher riding combinations that he's driven. He said the Koni stuff has a lot better ride-quality.

Like I said, I really like how my car drives now, but I don't mind the rougher ride. I would guess the KYB adjustable stuff may offer some different characteristics than my non-adjustable. You may want to stay away from the KYBs if you're wanting the luxory-car feel.

Oh yeah, the "guy" who does the test drives at HPM is Paul Brown. He drives a Saleen-bodied Mustang on Speedvision's World Challenge. He knows a few things about ride-quality.
5 speed 302-Cobra Intake-GT40p heads-TFS stage 1 cam-FRPP 1.6 roller rockers-3:73 gears-KYB shocks and struts-Eibach Pro-kit-HPM Mega-bite upper and lower control arms-FRPP aluminum driveshaft-16x8 Chrome Cobra Rs

R.H.C. #14
89 Cobra LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 11:04 AM   #5
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim89LXvert
The KYB is basically a small step up in performance from stock. If you are keeping your stock springs, they should be fine.

If you plan on going to higher rate springs, you should definately look at some Konis or Tocikos.

Both are good quality parts, and the non-adjustable Tocikos should do well with aftermarket springs for about $300 for the set. These would be fine for a street driven car.
Thanks for the info, but I already stated that I have Eibachs. I think I'm going to look more toward the Tokicos. Thanks for the info so far everyone!
Old 01-22-2002, 11:06 AM   #6
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Quote:
Originally posted by jetuomi
hey, my friend put tokico blues (non-adjustable) all the way around w/ H&R sport springs, and what a difference.. Stiffer, better over bumps, (less side to side motion) and better cornering.

I put Eibach sportlines on w/ Tokico rear shocks (non-adjustable), and the rear is now much better, I used to bottom out with the stock shocks, but not anymore, the rear is firm.. But I still have the stock struts up front, which are a bit worn, but are still good enough, it'll corner WAY better once new struts are in, I was planning on going with Tokico again...

I have no complaints with them..
Hey I have that SAME banner hanging on my wall Thanks for the emaill too btw, and I think I'm going to take your advice and just go for the Tokicos. Thanks!