View Single Post
Old 04-16-2003, 04:22 PM   #25
302man
Registered Member

Dwell, is the duration of the spark right ? So if you used a MSD ignition, wouldn't it fire 2-3 times anyway up to 2-3000 rpm ? This sounds like a compasitive discharge ignition would more than make up for it.

The spout out method does have its draw backs as has it positives too. I have yet to see ANY drivability issues with an auto or five speed, blower or n/a.

To me, the negatives are : not emmissions legal, gas mileage might be down 1-2mpg, (some cases it has increased,) when used with a power adder(blower), you need additional equipment to opimize your set up.

Positives : no longer haveing the EEC pull out timing due to varying conditions = gaining consistancy, when using a power adder, a BTM can be used with this method to pull back timing, consistancy at the race track: my car would run at +/- .02 every time. (usually driver shifting error) no hard starting when hot - I used 30 degrees base, tends to clear up a rich running engine at idle, for power adder (blower) guys : part throttle detination is almost always eliminatedand best of all, its free....if it don't work for you, no harm no foul, just change it back.

This idea of removing the spout out, was used by guys like Lideo at Alternative Auto and Jimmy Larocca. The problem was : when using a blower, part throttle detination existed as well as detination just off full throttle. This method fixed the the detination problem as well as gained a few HP due to the increased timing at lower RPM.

Why do I feel so strong that this is a good exceptable way to go ? Easy : it worked for me and I had basicly nothing that made my car run a 10.13@135 . I had a S trim- everybody and their brother has one of these .... (at least it seems like it) edelbrock 6037 heads, GT-40 intake-lower ported, 1 5/8 lt headers, C4 and 3:55 gears. Nothing fancy here. But it worked and when I went over to this type of tuning, my performance kept going and going until I leveled off af at my 10.13 . Again, this way might not work for you, if it don't work , just change it back.

New YS combo = 680RWHP (no times)
302man is offline   Reply With Quote