View Single Post
Old 04-20-2003, 02:09 PM   #28
TONYD
Registered Member

Ok,

My .02.. I have the timing locked with the spout out on my 95 gt (see sig) .. I picked up a ton of low end with this mod (before removing spout with the sucky timing curve on the 94-95 processor it would ping with more than 10 degrees intitial when it would go into drive.. now i run 34 total and with the high torque stater that comes on 92 and newer mustangs it carnks fine AND it picked up 3 FULL TENTHS NA and 2 tenths on bottle

My car is DRIVEN DAILY and has been nothing but better with this change..

And whoever it was that stated it would take away low end has their wires crossed it HELPS torque and low end..

All A9L and A9P processors add 20 degrees to base timing.. They add it at differing times (the p is a auto computer and the L is a 5 spd processor) But idealy on a Performance car you want your total in as early as possible this promotes torque, throttle response , etc..

As for the misfire problem with the reduced dwell time it might be a problem with a stock ignition car BUT with a MSD it is not nor do i see it to ever be .. (i have heard of some stock cars with the timing locked via spout removal having a top end bang)

Ever car will be different in the amount of timing they like. It depends on the head, cam, etc.. Most motors will make best et and mph at anywhere from 30-38 degrees of total timing.. Some stock headed cars may like slightly more due to a more INefficient combustion chamber requireing more ignition lead to get a good burn..

I never run anything but pump gas so just because you lock timing does NOT mean you need race gas

I have done this to MANY blower setups on fox body cars with good results by being able to have more initial and use a btm to pull out timing as the boost hits.. Thereby making the car have more throttle response and low end before the boost hits under light throttle..

Just my .02

93 gt VERY clean car with mods FOR SALE OR partial trade for 4 wheeler or ???
TONYD is offline   Reply With Quote