MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-19-2001, 02:41 PM   #1
Stang Runner
Registered Member

Post TPS What do I do???

I got a TPS I need to tune it how what?? Help The car I slow!!!! The manual say dont change it what do I do???

------------------
1988 LX 5.0 Was 3060lbs (full Tank) 14.62@96.9On a Gtech Drivetrain: 3.55, World Class T-5, Lakewood Bellhousing, Adjustable Cluch Cable, AL Driveshaft, Manual Steering Rack Suspension: MAC Control Arms,Maximum Motorsports Front Grip Package, H&R Sport Spings, Bilstein Shocks
Engine: Steal Mounts, K&N, Under Drive Pulles Exhaust: 1 5/8 Un-Equal Length Mac Headers, X-pipe W\cats, Edelbrock cat\back Cooling:3 Core Radiator
Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 11:32 AM   #2
LX NCH 50
Registered Member

Ok, did you get a new TPS? or are you saying your old one is wacked? My TPS when out on me and all I did was get a new one. My symptoms of the bad TPS where:
1. Sometimes idled funny, would just start to climb in rpms till about 2,000-2,200 and hold it there.
2. Could feel some stalling when flooring the car, just small chokes of gass.
3. At certain RPMS it would feel like I had a timing problem and would choke.

If you are having these problems just go to an auto part store and pick up a new one. They are about 20-25 and easy to install. Just clip it into the harness and you are done.
-Kevin
LX NCH 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 11:49 AM   #3
Stang Runner
Registered Member

Yes I have the new one on. I looked it the manual and It say you can not just put it ON. This is out of the book (Don't attemt to replace the TP sensor! Specialized calibration equipment is necessary to adjust the switch once it's installed, making adjustment beyond the scop of the home mechanic.) Help WHAT do I do must I take it to a shop?
Old 07-20-2001, 12:42 PM   #4
LX NCH 50
Registered Member

Ok, I just put my one on, never calibrated it... Took 5 minutes and I did it in the parking lot of Autozone. The owner manual says to have someone professionally isntall your fog lights so they are calibrated right too, I don't think it's that hard to plug a bulb in. Anyway I had no problem with just putting it in. If I were you I would just plug the baby in and if you have more problems put the old one back in bring it to the dealership and have them install it. Tell me how it goes.
-Kevin
LX NCH 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 12:44 PM   #5
SlowStang2
Registered Member

I had the same problem less than a week ago. I had to get the TPS replaced and the mechanic who told me that also told me to come back by and, yes, get it calibrated. After it was installed, it already seemed to idle fine and their calibration that they mentioned only consisted of clearing the codes the old, worn TPS left behind in the computer. It only took a minute.

------------------
94' Stang GT Convertible --Cobra upper&lower, Mac cold air w/K&N, BBK equal length shorties, BBK offroad H-pipe, American Thunder cat-back, BBK T/B 65mm, 24lb injectors, Pro-77mm MAM, pulleys, aluminum driveshaft, 3.55s 14.4@100. (Sad, i know. i have stock heads)
SlowStang2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 01:01 PM   #6
Stang Runner
Registered Member

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2001, 02:21 PM   #7
jimberg
Registered Member

Stang Runner, the TPS for the 5.0 is technically not adjustable, but because of some loose tolerances, it is somewhat adjustable.

You need a digital voltmeter. Using something like two safety pins, pierce the insulation of the green(+) and black(-) wires going to the TPS. With the ignition in the on position, make sure that the voltage is .97-.99 volts. Move the throttle level forward slowly and make sure there are no odd jumps or flats spots (Not likely with new TPS). It should go up to 4.6volts. Then, release it back slowly and make sure it drops to .97-.99 volts.

If the initial voltage is too high or too low, loosen the mounting screws and rotate the TPS until you get the correct voltage. Tighten the screws down and repeat the above verification process.

Then, reset your computer by disconnecting the neg battery cable for 15 minutes. Reconnect the battery and start the car with all accessories off. Let the car idle until its idle is stable at a specific RPM. Let it idle for an additional two minutes. Shut down for a couple minutes, restart and then repeat the same process with all accessories on. Go for a drive and see how it runs.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 04:34 PM   #8
Stang Runner
Registered Member

Hey jimberg I checked it and it was at .902 I fixed it and now it runs better Thanks ALOT

[This message has been edited by Stang Runner (edited 07-20-2001).]