MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-21-2002, 10:54 PM   #1
Eric4Nitrous
Registered Member

Default Track conditions

I know i'm being a post ***** but..too bad.lol I talked about overcorrecting a car in my previous post. Now i wanna talk about track conditions. Whenever you go to the track i'm sure you see people out there walking around with their heat guns and such. What are they doing you ask? their seeing what the temp of the track surface is to get the right suspenion tune on their car. If you go out to the track starting line and it's 90+ degrees outside and the sun is beating down on the track it's probably pretty hot. When i look at the track surface i look to see if it's peeling up when it's hot. If that's the case, then you know that the track isn't very good. If it's cool and it isn't peeling up, then the track should be pretty good. But track conditions for the most part have to do with how hot it is and so forth. Some of them are rough and some are smooth but a rough track is a whole lot rougher when it's hot and converesly, it's smoother when it's cool. Why you might ask? Here's why.

On a rough racetrack, when you hit a bump on a hot day it magnifies the problem. If the track is hot and crappy, then the rough part of it is even going to be rougher. Which will in turn make the tire break loose quicker. Then your either spinning or shaking the tires, and by the time you hit the next bump, your car will get compeletly out of groove. This is why when you go to an older racetrack you'll see cars make a violent move towards the middle of the track.

So you have to go out and take a look before every run to know what to expect and to make changes to the car that will suit you. And it also tells you how aggressive you need to be. At times you need to be more aggressive with a tricky track, what i mean by that is you have to get it up on the tires really fast so you can sort of drive through the deal. I hope this helps some of you. I know that it has helped me.
Eric4Nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote