MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-30-2001, 11:44 PM   #1
Fostang
Registered Member

Post Roller conversion??

Is it possible to convert a 69'-72' engine to a roller set up?? What would be the the neccesary hardware to complete the project? What about the approximate price? The reason I ask this is because I have a block that has already been cleaned and bored that I was saving for a rainy day. It seems that rainy day will be comming sooner that I thought because my engine has started to make thumping noises when I start it. Plus it just doesn't seem to have the same punch behind it. Well any info will be greatly appriciated. Thanks in advance guys.

------------------
67'fastback-Edelbrock carb,intake,cam,valve springs.Rhode lifters, CompCam rocker arms, windage tray,cerama coated headers,dual flows with H-pipe, modded c-4,tci stall converter,perma cool electric fan,aluminum water pump,griffen aluminum radiator,accel 8.8 cable,wide cap distriburator,magnetic pick up,v-matic hurst shifter,edelbrock performer nitrous, carter electric fuel pump,ignitor coil,solid motor mounts,magna racing suspension,poly urathane bushings,under rider traction bars, comp. eng. s
Fostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 01:00 AM   #2
Dark Knight
Registered Member

Cool

I think both crane and comp cams make a conversion kit... http://www.compcams.com/catalog/259.html

------------------
84 convt,'95 302,AFR's, performer
3.55's, underdrives BBK shorties
stock cam, 1.7's
13.85@102.5
and a '68 stang that WAS nasty ;-)

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 02:24 PM   #3
mustanger82
Registered Member

Lightbulb

In my opinion the conversionkists suck . completely on the basis that the cams have a reduced base cirle and that not only compomises strenght of the cam(no a big problem) but it limits your total lift and duration #s if you want roller lifters go and spend the big bucks and get a set of linked roller lifters and a matching cam they offer the best performance gains b/c they allow the use of a standard base circle cam, in they end the linked lifters cost a bit more prolly 2-300 over the conversion kit but for max gains its the way to go anywho thas my 2 cents
mustanger82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 03:25 PM   #4
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustanger82:

...linked roller lifters and a matching cam they offer the best performance gains b/c they allow the use of a standard base circle cam
Hmmm... I thought the lifter bosses were a little shorter in the non roller blocks than the roller engines?

Are you talking about a specific aftermarket setup?
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 11:57 PM   #5
macx
Registered Member

Crane (as far as I know, the only one) makes hydr roller lifters that will work in a non-roller block with factory type hydr roller cams. Not cheap, but then you don't have a reduced base circle cam, plus you have a very wide range of modern cams to choose from.
macx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2001, 12:50 AM   #6
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

I put serious thought into it with my engine but I decided against it for 2 reasons. I reason is the 500 bucks plus and the other is that after talking with many different people and getting different opinions of course what I learned is that they are for higher revving engines. My setup won't need to see over 6500 rpm's. But call around and see for yourself. Comp cams has a toll free tech line. # is 800-999-0853 Good luck.

------------------
Just need the sticker!

Red 1993 GT
1969 351 block w/393 stroker. Edlebrock Performer heads and Performer RPM EFI, FRPP 30lb injectors & Cartech fuel system. JMS chip & MSD ignition.
Dynamic Roller Myte C4, 8 pt cage, Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, adj. upper's, 3.73's, Koni rear shocks
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2001, 02:58 PM   #7
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Stang_ROTY:
...after talking with many different people and getting different opinions of course what I learned is that they are for higher revving engines. My setup won't need to see over 6500 rpm's...
Solid lifter cams are for higher revs. Hydraulic lifters are not. Is that what you were trying to say? I hope so. A hydrualic valvetrain will pump up the lifters allowing the vavles to "float" and stay open when they should be closed. That's one of the reasons you won't see very many hydraulic setups on 5.0's turning more than 6000-6500rpms. I don't know if they even make a hydraulic lifter that can take 7000rpm for the 5.0.
Old 09-01-2001, 03:00 PM   #8
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Lightbulb

Honestly, if you want a roller setup, why not just buy a 1985-1995, 1987-1992 for forged pistons, from a junkyard?

I know where there is an 88GT engine sitting for $200 within 5mi of here. That's cheap, you get the whole engine, which should still be very good, and it won't cost too much.
Old 09-02-2001, 12:41 AM   #9
Fostang
Registered Member

I still can't decide what to do. I don't want to end up buying another block and having it checked for flaws and then it having one I would end up having to buy another. Plus the block I already have has been worked and is ready for new parts. 88 for 200 not bad considering that I was offered by a friend a 93' saleen it has 30 k miles on it. Complete even with headers and the the induction set up for $150. Too bad the car is too far. I could really use the rear end housing for the SVO. I think I'm going to think things over and probably am going to end up getting a roller block. thanks for the help guys.

------------------
67'fastback-Edelbrock carb,intake,cam,valve springs.Rhode lifters, CompCam rocker arms, windage tray,cerama coated headers,dual flows with H-pipe, modded c-4,tci stall converter,perma cool electric fan,aluminum water pump,griffen aluminum radiator,accel 8.8 cable,wide cap distriburator,magnetic pick up,v-matic hurst shifter,edelbrock performer nitrous, carter electric fuel pump,ignitor coil,solid motor mounts,magna racing suspension,poly urathane bushings,under rider traction bars, comp. eng. s
Fostang is offline   Reply With Quote