MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-22-2002, 11:45 PM   #1
drtbiker
Registered Member

Default track results and problems

I had my car to the track today and i am pretty happy with it other than the last two runs, my first run was almost my best w/ 14.270 @ 98.56mph after about 7 runs letting the cool down, then i went through some more runs, i was filling up my tank with gas at the pumps and i told the guy i was empty and told him i dont have enough weight in the back to hook now on street tires he asked me how much air i had in my tires i replyed 30 he said OOO wow u running that much pressure i said yeah why, and he told me that the guys with street tires w/fox bodys run 18psi, so i decied to let some air out of the tires and boy could i hook but right when that second gear shift came i couldnt put it in sec, it wouldnt go in only grind, then i had to shift to third because it wouldnt go in??? i am confused...... could it have been because my clutch cable was starting to stretch i heard that about the bbk cables, or was it my clutch or even maybe my trans? or was it just from the tire pressure, and it causeing more stress on my clutch? i am confused though this happened on my last two runs.....mods as follows: off road h-pipe, 373 gears, bbk clutch cable and quadrant, steeda short shifter, stage 3 clutch
O yeah and also i had the clutch pedal to the floor any sugestions about what i should do first i think it is the cable

thanks-rl
drtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 12:22 AM   #2
Oldschoolpony
Registered Member

Unhappy 2 nd

I had that last week, and i ended up buying another gear box.
But, you probably need to check the synchros. And clutch adjustment. my 2 cents/\
Oldschoolpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 06:25 PM   #3
90'5.0 Conv
Long time member in and out

Can you spell DEJA VOO?
2 Ch Flowmasters

1/8th ET 9.04
90'5.0 Conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 06:39 PM   #4
chris91LX
Registered Member

I had the grinding problem the last time I was at the track, course mine was grinding the whole day. Turns out the pressure plate had worn uneven, so the clutch wasn't fully disengaging. I put in a new clutch and everything was fine. If you were doing big burnouts you might have burnt your clutch, or it was just hot the last couple times you raced. I'd definitely check that before replacing the trans. Just a thought.
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 10:10 PM   #5
drtbiker
Registered Member

yeah i have heard that the syncros are pretty sh%$y in the fords trans i was thinking about the pressure plate also. That is what happen to my friends ws6 i am going to try a new cable then probally have to get a new clutch
thanks again
drtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 11:56 PM   #6
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Nothing wrong with the T-5 on a stock or near stock 5.0. I've had several all go well beyond 100k miles. If you're not the original owner, you won't know how the tranny was treated before you got it.

Check the shifter stops, although with the grinding it sounds more like a clutch issue or syncros to me.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 11:59 PM   #7
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

You guys might be a help to me, last night was my first time running with my new d&d clutch quadrant, one thing i noticed is the 2nd gear shift sounding like it grinds? but it went in, then i put on a short belt, lined up, the tree came down, and i spunn the tires in smoke, launched too hard, tried to hit 2nd, and bamm! popped out, and missed?

next run, i took the short belt off, and put stock one on, let the car cool, dropped tires pressure to 20 psi, hooked 1st and it went to 2nd no problem, also, my throwout bearing is making raquet when i hold the clutch in a while. is my pressure plate screwed? it sure is tough to push in, btw, i was driving around water, running 26x10 sportsman pros.
Police package 5spd 90 Lx, Stock original motor, 3.27grs, BM fan, fms 10.5 clutch, D&D quadrant, and adjuster, ADS chip, 180 stat, mac cai, mac h-pipe, mac subframe connectors, ASP crank pulley, ripper shifter, 26x10.5 M/T sport pros welds. 246 hp according to analyzer
Race weight: 3,120

E.t-13.57 with 26x10.50's e.t. streets. 1.88 60'

mph- 99.92 mph
Coupe5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 12:19 AM   #8
Oldschoolpony
Registered Member

Default check out retainer

Might be time to check the retainer. I replaced my aluminum retainer with a steel retainer from hanlon. Although, I can say this, my new T-5 has the hanlon 295z gear set, steel retainer, synchros from hanlon, throw out bearing from them and B& M ripper shifter, It shifts SMOOOOTH, like a hot knife through butter, even shifting at 7000 rpm with a wheels up launch.( bearly up, but enough to not be able to see directly in front of me)
Oldschoolpony is offline   Reply With Quote