MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-03-2001, 06:17 PM   #1
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Cool Tranny cooler + Ice water in front of air filter = 40 degree drop in temp!!!

I went to the track today and a friend of a friend has this setup. He has a Coleman cooler with a Holley pump running ice water through a tranny cooler mounted in front of his air filter in the fender. I watched the temperature of the incoming air drop from 80 degrees to 40 degrees in a minute or so after he turned on the pump. I am pretty sure the car has a completely stock 5.0 in it and runs 7.98's in the eigth mile. WOW! He was running slicks and had every interior piece yanked out of the car, but that's still quick for a completely stock 5.0.

I just thought I'd share this little trick with you guys.

Oh yeah, he said when the weather heats up and people lose time off their ET's he doesn't. It makes for a more consistent time even if the weather isn't consistent. Pretty cool.

------------------
Gunning for 12's!

Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241

[This message has been edited by 2FastLX (edited 11-03-2001).]
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2001, 08:08 PM   #2
Stang Runner
Registered Member

sounds like it might work. And WOW the 1/8 converted to the 1/4 is mid 12's That is haling!!
Might try that Idea some time it would be fun

------------------
Engine: steel mounts, Under drive pulleys, K&N, Home ported Lower Intake, No power steering, No A/C
Drive Train: 3.55, T-5z,

Real power STUFF I Have and will put some time: Mac cold intake, 70MM TB, Valve covers (COOL ONES)255 Fuel pump NOS Dry 75HP, AFR 165 58cc, GT-40 Intake.
Next to get: Rocker Arms,Cam,Injectors 24, What might I need???See It at www.computerconquest.com
Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 12:11 AM   #3
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

You mean he does this during the run or just in the pits. If he does it during the run won't that restrict air flow. If you can post some pics I'd love to see how it's hooked up

------------------
THE SLO PONY
1992 Ford Mustand LX. 2.3 liter four-banger, auto. Future mods: V-8 swap.
Fly it loud, Fly it proud!!!

If it ain't broke, you ain't tryin hard enough
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 06:35 PM   #4
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

tireburner163 - It is mounted in the car and he runs the pump all the way down the track. When he turns it on you can feel the inlet tube and filter box get cooler.

A lot of people have said the same thing to him about it restricting air flow, but numbers don't lie. It's really a simple setup... He used the stock air box and mounted the tranny cooler in front of the filter and used expanding foam to seal it all up. He ran lines from the cooler through the heater core lines I believe and into the cockpit where he has a Coleman cooler sitting in the floor board filled with ice and water. The lines go into the cooler by way of the Holley pump. I doubt I could get pics because I don't even know the guy and the track's closed until next year. Oh yeah, he has a 9" rear end too, but other than that he never mentioned any suspension mods either.

------------------
Gunning for 12's!

Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
Old 11-04-2001, 07:06 PM   #5
stanger8172
Registered Member

Mid 12's on a basically stock stang? The guy could get rich writing a book about it, maybe doing seminars. No, but man, I'd have to see it in the works!

------------------
'91 LX convertible , T-5,Centerforce Dual Friction, FMS adjustable cable w/quadrant, ported/polished/milled E7 heads, 1.6rr, 1.94/1.60 stainless valves, BBK 1 5/8" equal length shorties, 2 1/2" off road H-pipe, Summit 2 1/2" catback, March Performance Pulleys and A/C Eliminator
stanger8172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 08:46 PM   #6
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

I'm going to make one for my car and see how it works. Hell, if it works that good I should be in the 11's LOL.

I was told about this setup by a friend a couple months ago and I was in disbelief too. When I saw under the hood of this stripped down Mustang and noticed two lines covered in heat reflective tape going to the air box along with a meat thermometer I put two and two together. I knew these guys knew each other to begin with so I asked him if that was the ice-water technique. That's when I believed it so I don't blame you. I don't know what other factors are propelling this guy into the 7's on an eighth mile track, but something is defiantely working for him. If you saw the car you'd be doubtful it would even run 8's.
Old 11-05-2001, 12:01 AM   #7
Jeb_Bush_2000
Registered Member

Hmmm.

Suppose you constructed a modified air box, with one entire side being taken up by a trans or oil cooler, and the other side being PVC pipe straight to the TB.

Suppose you covered it in a few layers of pantyhose.

Suppose you then ran a modified fuel pump through a cool can full of icy water.

Hmmm....

------------------
'93 LX notchback, mechanically stock for the moment...

No A/C, no pw, no pdl, no rear defroster, no "5.0" badges.

What's next: Full-length headers, gutted airbox, 65mm TB.
Jeb_Bush_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 01:35 AM   #8
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

He said the next thing he's going to try is to make a sleeve around the PVC pipe he made for the inlet and flood the area between the sleeve and the PVC with cold water as well (an actual cold air kit that works!). Also, he's going to hook some lines up to the original coolant lines flowing through the EGR spacer. It has to help a quite a bit, especially on hot days. Who has a track still open that can get some on and off numbers? I think he has before so if I can get in touch with the guy I know I'll find out.
Old 11-05-2001, 08:00 AM   #9
speedytang
Registered Member

I have seen this setup on turbo 4 engines, locally we have a guy with a coleman cooler in the trunk running a marine pump with a custom made aluminum box with a heater core in it. This guy runs 11.90 in the qtr with 23lbs of boost on a mild built 2300 turbo in his 84 GT. No detonation and works like the Vortec after cooler.If you have the new MMFF his car is in the photo section for True Street Norwalk. It might be hard to believe but a heater core is not restrictive that is why a simple blower gives you so much heat in the winter. This idea will work even better if you use a 5 gallon Jaz fuel cell and your old fuel pump you removed for a bigger one in your tank. Mount the pump in the cell then run what they call 3 core hose which is insulated and used in the trucking industry for cooler"fridge" trailers. I should have mine done in a couple of weeks with full photos. This system will also pass NHRA tech as a safe rear ballast.
speedytang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 08:22 AM   #10
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

This sounds no different than the dry ice trick to me.\

12.44 1/4 mile on a stock stang I would bet money that he is nowhere near stock if what you say is true.

I dont think that the coldest air is gonna give you 150HP wich is probably what you would have to gain to run a 12.44.

------------------
88 mustang gt convertible bored to 306 BBk equal length headers, mac cold air fender kit, 3.73 FMS gears, Steeds Tri-ax shifter, Steeda underdrive pullies, Custom off road X-pipe, 2 chamber flow masters, cowl hood, nitto drag radials, ford racing clutch, 160* thermostat 16 degrees of timing electric fan off 94' t-bird jacobs electronics cap and wires. Edelbrock 1 1/2 inch drop springs. (Best E.T. 14.79@93mph @3000ft)
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 09:40 AM   #11
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Oh crap! I forgot to mention he has 3.73's.

[This message has been edited by 2FastLX (edited 11-05-2001).]
Old 11-05-2001, 10:46 AM   #12
BilLster
Registered Member

guys two things first off might not be that restrictive for the stock engine .

second

He was running slicks and had every interior piece yanked out of the car

light weight will make up for horsepower any day. were talking of a gutted stang no big deal and as for money from a book . the stock nhra record is in the 11's by a gutted notch back

------------------
89 with 395 single stage n2o .garret t3. 373's Suspention worked out finnaly . need cage .
BilLster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 10:52 AM   #13
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Where's Rick 91GT when you need him
Old 11-05-2001, 11:37 AM   #14
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

i belive it in a sec..speccialy if his car is SD

------------------
1987 black notch(ex 4 banger)
DSS 306 w/ main support...Elderbrock 6028 heads..gt-40 intake..24# injectors...70 mm tb..77 pro-m...accel 300+..mac full legnth..tremec w/ pro5oh...full MAC exhaust,off road h-pipe,long tubes, catback...ron davis radiator..subframes, control arms...CFDF II..o yea holley FPR sucks..dont buy one..
AIM=onesillynotch
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 11:56 AM   #15
Mach 1
Registered Member

I dont see what all the excitement is about? Everybody knows our cars like cold air and run better and make more power with cold air. A noticeable difference, yes. But do you really want to butcher your car up to make it work? I happen to like my heater core doing what its supposed to do, make heat when its cold outside.

To each his own I guess....
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 12:17 PM   #16
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

You don't have to butcher your car to make it work. You could actually put the ice water in a homemade cooler in the inner fender well sort of like the windshield washer fluid. It would be a completely self contained unti inside the fender and nobody would even know it was there.
Old 11-06-2001, 06:38 AM   #17
PKRWUD

We used to put ice packs on the intake inbetween runs, but we never got as fancy as your buddy. The ice packs made a measurable difference, though.

Take care,
-Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: Peckerwoods Pit Stop

My teams site: Jim Porter Racing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN.
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 11:06 AM   #18
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

I've never used ice bags. To me, unless the car is full drag it's really not worth it. I want to know what my car will run on the street so I don't get into doing things to change the way my car will run down the strip unless it's permanent.
Old 11-06-2001, 11:15 AM   #19
PKRWUD

Keep in mind that your buddies set-up is only as good as the amount of time the ice water stays cold, which for daily driving won't be too long.

Take care,
-Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: Peckerwoods Pit Stop

My teams site: Jim Porter Racing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN.
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 11:19 AM   #20
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Yeah I realize that. But if you're heading out knowing you'll be going where all the ricers hang out a cooler full of ice should be enough to take car of every ricer around before it melts

It would be too embarassing to say "Let me pop my hood and throw some ice on the intake" LOL.