MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-10-2001, 09:37 AM   #1
Coupe Devil

Post Which Tranny Crossmember 4 cyl to v-8

Hey I have FINALLY DECIDED to use my motor, tranny and rear end and do the 4-banger auto to the 302 and t-5 swap. I was under the car yesterday investigating which parts i need to start gathering and the tranny crossmember is nothing alike. I have the double hump crossmember from the '90 model byt it bolts on the outside of the "frame". The crossmember on the car for the 4 banger bolts to the inside. There isn't eve na spot on the outside of the frame. Granted the 4 banger is a '93. Will the factory crossmember work or will I have to fabricate or is there a swap part? If so how much and where can I get one.
Thanks
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 10:13 AM   #2
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

ok you need a regualr 8 cly cross member, and you need to unbolt the 4cly cross meber brackets(the 8cly brackest are welded on all foxbody stangs,4cly have added bolted on brackets) and you will be left with just the 8cly brackets..then it is cake form there

------------------
1987 black notch(ex 4 banger)
DSS 306 w/ main support...Elderbrock 6028 heads..gt-40 intake..24# injectors...70 mm tb..77 pro-m...accel 300+..mac full legnth..tremec w/ pro5oh...full MAC exhaust,off road h-pipe,long tubes, catback...ron davis radiator..subframes, control arms...CFDF II..o yea holley FPR sucks..dont buy one..
AIM=onesillynotch
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 01:47 PM   #3
Coupe Devil

ok dude thats what i thought in the beginning but my 93 doesnt have the welded brackets on it. I guess i'll just have to make some plates and drill a hole in each one and weld it in. What kind of motor and tranny mounts do you recommend? I was thinking of getting the Energy Suspension kit but will it still work when I swap in the 351 later?

------------------
'93 lx notch 4 banger (drive it to work currently), Using the 306, 8.8 posi, 3.73's, summit rear cover. Future Mods Flex-a-lite elec. fan, cowl hood, wieand stealth intake, holley ??? d.p.carb., built t-5, e-303, pulleys, full autometer guages, msd box, mallory unilite dist, and coil, roll cage, ATI procharger kit for carb and then the big motor after a year or two, 408 stroker form a 351.

Dont sweat the petty things and dont pet the sweaty things.
Old 09-11-2001, 08:19 AM   #4
Coupe Devil

Hey just to be sure I looked under the car last night and there are no v-8 crossmember brackets on a 93 4 cyl. I guess I will just have to fabricate the brackets. Oh well.

------------------
'93 lx notch 4 banger (drive it to work currently), Using the 306, 8.8 posi, 3.73's, summit rear cover. Future Mods Flex-a-lite elec. fan, cowl hood, wieand stealth intake, holley ??? d.p.carb., built t-5, e-303, pulleys, full autometer guages, msd box, mallory unilite dist, and coil, roll cage, ATI procharger kit for carb and then the big motor after a year or two, 408 stroker form a 351.

Old 09-14-2001, 06:41 AM   #5
Coupe Devil

I think I found a swap crossmember and its from Ford racing. It is a double hump for the exhaust but it looks like it mounts on the 4 bangerm mounts inside the "frame rails". It would make since for there to be swap part since there are alot of swap kits for the motor.

------------------

[This message has been edited by pony_power_90 (edited 09-14-2001).]